PDA

View Full Version : Change in plans...

disneycutie165
06-30-2008, 10:31 AM
We always stay at the Wilderness Lodge, but because of things that have been going on, we've become short on money. We were thinking about staying at Port Orleans, but it is so hard for me because my home is WL. Has anybody ever experienced this?

Simbajr4ever
06-30-2008, 10:48 AM
I have stayed at both. If you decide on PO do RS and ask for bayou. If you like the rustic feel of wl, this will suit you. You might want to consider fw cabins? They are usually a great deal, with alot of the same appeal.
But, having stayed at both wl & pors, I prefer pors. It is really beauitful, and IMHO not much of a step down.:mickey::thumbsup:
Another option to consider, if you really don't want to change from wl, can you down grade your view, or cut the budget elsewhere? dining, or activities, and then just spend more time at the resort?

Tinkerbellfan
06-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Hello,

I understand completely. After staying at the WL, I have found it hard to try and stay any where else. I even feel the AKL is pale in comparison - there is just something so special about WL.

Couple of ideas...

Do you have a AAA membership? IF so, maybe you can get a discount.

Are your dates flexible? If so, maybe you can go during a time when the rates aren't so expensive.

How long are you headed to WDW? IF you are headed for a week, maybe you can stay at a value for your first two nights, so you can afford the WL the last 5 nights.

And lastly, keep your figures crossed WDW releases a discount of some sort during your stay!

KineGirl
06-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I like staying at different resorts on property. At least to try them out. Sure I like some more than others but theyre all pretty cool and unique in their own ways.

If you think you will not enjoy your experience at WDW as much because you cant stay at WL why not wait until its more feasible to go?

Taja
06-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I enjoy staying at various resorts. Pop Century has become the primary resort of choice for a number of reasons--depends on the circumstances of the visit. But I've stayed at Club Level at deluxe resorts as well as standard rooms and moderate resorts. Each resort provides a different experience.

If you book at POR/POFQ and arrive with the attitude you won't like it because it isn't WL, chances are you won't like it. But if you approach it as an adventure with an open mind, you might surprise yourself.

Will you still prefer WL? Quite likely! It has amenities that POR/POFQ don't have. But you will have tried something new!

Gator
06-30-2008, 08:55 PM
I found Coronado to be very nice, especially in the Rancho area. You might want to try it. It's not WL, but it's well grommed with lots of trees, and the transportation will be faster to the parks. The food's good too.

mom2morgan
07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I understand. We've never been able to afford a deluxe, so our "splurge" actually IS Port Orleans Riverside...but I know I'd feel disappointed if I suddenly found out I had to stay in one of the Values (even though I know they are perfectly nice and lots of people love 'em!). I'd say you have to make a decision based on what's MOST important to you...can you live with humbler accomodations in order to do all the other great stuff you want to? Are you really going to spend much time at your resort anyway? Can you make this feel like an 'adventure', trying out something new (hey, if you're staying at POR, you can tell yourself you've decided to stay with Huck Finn this time around...). Of course, the other option is to cut the budget elsewhere (dining, entertainment) in order to be able to afford the resort you want...but it sounds like you've already decided to make the hotel switch. Personally, I think that's a good idea. I kind of wanted to cut corners elsewhere and try the AKL, but I decided that I'm not travelling all the way from Alberta to Florida to stay in a hotel :-)

Goes4FastPass
07-01-2008, 04:49 PM
PO is a swell resort.

You know, you can always book an ADR at Whispering Canyon and visit your 'home' resort. If you're using DIsney transportation you could simply use the boat to go from/to the MK and WL for your meal and visit.

We've stayed "deluxe", "moderate" and this November for the first time, "value". I plan to skip through my Disney days singing, "Zipadee Do Dah", not "I wish I were staying someplace else"

I know there are Disney fans who say, "Deluxe or nothing" and to them I say, "We're going to China in the spring - and I don't mean the China that's next door to Norway."

megustamex
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
We've stayed at almost all the deluxe and all the value resorts at Disney, and I can say that where I am staying has never affected the fun that I've had on a trip. Even at the value resorts you know that you are still "on property" and that is the most important thing in my opinion. You can find that Disney magic at any resort if you keep an open mind.