PDA

View Full Version : ADRS and the Dining Plan

Tigger&Stitch
06-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Have you noticed that when you call to make ADRs, the Disney Dining person asks you if you are on the Dining Plan?

Why would they ask that?

We are staying in the Villas this year, so have decided to pay out of pocket for food (we don't want to feel pressure to eat dessert every night just to get our money's worth!)

However, we are doing a Magical Gathering, and quite a few of the people joining us have the free dining deal. I've made a few ADRs for the group (ranging from just 4 of us to 8), and have said "no" each time Disney Dining asked about the Dining Plan.

Should I have mentioned that a few of our party will be on the Plan?

Again, why would they want to know? I'm a bit paranoid now, with all the talk of people receiving poor service when on the Plan.

henry.james.s
06-29-2008, 10:52 PM
The main reason they ask is so they can link your ADR's with your dining package(if you have one) & resort reservation.
When they do this it makes it easier for you to keep track of you DD credits. You can get a printout at anytime that shows all your ADR's & DD credits usage & ballances.
It's a good way to keep track.
Also I've NEVER received "poor service" because of being on any Disney dining plan..just the opposite. Thats one of the reasons I make a habit of being on the plan.
As to the Magical Gathering question..call them back and ask what's the best way to handle your situation..then you'll have no surprises.

Gator
06-30-2008, 12:33 AM
I've always wondered about that myself. It's probably just to keep track of who calls for ADRs the most.

BigRedDad
06-30-2008, 02:11 AM
I wondered too. We have more TS meals than the dining plan that we have offers. We will choose which meals we use the plan on which will be the dinners, not the breakfasts.

r4kids
06-30-2008, 08:48 AM
When your on the dining plan you don't haVe to put a "deposit" down for places like CRT. At least we have never had to. I believe it also helps keep a tally of those who use the dining plan and those who don't for promotional purpose. Just my guess on that last part though. We have also never received bad service on the dining plan. Disney won't tolerate that. They want you to come back. If they received too many complaints the staff would be dealt with.

wendy*darling
06-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I agree they may be using that for statistical purposes.
I also think it helps them advise you about your use of TS credits as you make your ADRs. Making sure you understand what is covered, what costs 1TS vs 2TS, etc.

As for your mix of DDP and non-DDP diners at your Magical Gathering- let your server know when you are seated. They typically ask if you are on the DDP first anyway. You can just let them know who is and who isn't on the DDP. They will keep the checks separate that way. Do not wait until the end of the meal!!!
I have dined with a mix of DDP and non-DDP several times- never had a problem at all. :thumbsup:

irish1967
07-01-2008, 01:26 PM
I would assume that the primary reason they ask is so that they can warn you that certain meals will cost 2 TS credits.

Also, it probably helps for planning purposes for the restaurants. (The customers on the DDP will be more likely to order a more expensive entree and dessert so the restaurant needs to be able to plan for that so that they don't run out anything. )

But, since you can upgrade to the dining plan at check-in and during your stay...the infomation obviously isn't all that important while making ADRs.

The only time in recent memory that I have had less than stellar service was while not on the DDP.

We've dined with a mixed group DDP and non-DDP several times. More often than not, we've found that the server will charge the more expensive meals to the dining plan and the less expensive meals to the OOP ticket. But that may have had more to do with the automatic gratuity (which was still in place last time we did this) rather than anything else. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I made my ADRs last week...the CM asked if I was on the dining plan....she then explained which of my choices took one and which took two credits, she also let me know about RFC not being on the plan. I'm guessing that's why they do it.

Tigger&Stitch
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all the info, everyeone!! We'll be sure to tell our servers right away at our group dinners.

After living in a country with no tipping (and therefore little to no service), I'm sure the service in Disney will be outstanding comparatavely!

BraddyB
07-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I think they ask just to help you through your adr. I made mine a couple of weeks ago, and he let me know if it was 1 or 2 ts. I already had a clue, but for someone who wasnt sure by the time they got off the phone they knew where and how many credits everything was. The guy was more than helpful. Only complaint was no dinners available for Le Cellier...oh well life goes on and I picked somewhere else.

irish1967
07-02-2008, 06:33 PM
After living in a country with no tipping (and therefore little to no service), I'm sure the service in Disney will be outstanding comparatavely!

Completely OT but Tigger&Stitch I wanted to tell you that two weeks I spent in New Zealand is one of the times I count in my top 5 best times of my life.

If it weren't for the man who is now my DH (and enters into 3 of my top 5 times - my wedding day and the birth of my two children :mickey:) I would have seriously considered relocating to your wonderful country.

For those who are counting - I consider any visit to WDW the 5th best time of my life :mickey:

Tigger&Stitch
07-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Completely OT but Tigger&Stitch I wanted to tell you that two weeks I spent in New Zealand is one of the times I count in my top 5 best times of my life.

If it weren't for the man who is now my DH (and enters into 3 of my top 5 times - my wedding day and the birth of my two children :mickey:) I would have seriously considered relocating to your wonderful country.

For those who are counting - I consider any visit to WDW the 5th best time of my life :mickey:

That's great! My husband and I moved here in late 2006 - very glad that he was willing to make the move too, even though we are both from the US and I only had one friend here!

Our two favorite places in the world: where we live, and WDW. :cloud9: