PDA

View Full Version : Does POP have rollaway beds?...& some venting

MuchLovedMama
06-28-2008, 09:42 PM
My real question is does POP have rollaway beds & what are the odds of getting one?

I need to vent about how this question came about so read on only if you'd like.

O.K. so for the past past year we've been planning on going to Disney this September & staying at Embassy Suites LBV because we've stayed there 2 other times & really enjoy it (especially their huge yummy breakfast). The last time we were at Disney was in 2000 & we stayed at CBR. My hubby & I didn't really care for it. Anyway we'd been asking my mother to go along with us & they finally decided to.

O.K. so we were wanting to book this back in March & were just waiting til SW released their airfares before we booked the hotel. Well, while waiting I received the free dining offer from Disney because we have the disney visa. At first I read it but didn't really consider it because we like big rooms & big beds & we didn't have the money for the higher end resorts. I had the offer in the back of my head though so just briefly I mentioned it to my mother & hubby & they wanted me to look into it more so I did.

Instead of renting a car & staying at Embassy we were actually going to save $200 by staying at POP by not having to rent a car & on top of that we get free dining or 8 people. My mom & step-dad are on the larger size & they sleep in separate beds as it is because they need room when they sleep but they thought the free dining was worth being cramped for a week. In their room will also be my niece(16) & nephew(12). They were going to do the 2 females to 1 bed & the 2 males to the other. I should also mention that my hubby & I are taking are DD7 & DS5 so we don't have room for an extra one in our room either.

So now all of a sudden my mom starts complaining that we should've really went a better resort to get the better beds. She now tells me "I don't really care how much more it will cost I'll pay for it...I just want to be comfortable". O.K. well it's not that simple now. The free dining offer is gone & she tells me to just call them & maybe they'll pull some strings since we are wanting an upgrade & would still do it but I don't think they really can. Can they? Our 2 rooms together with the park tickets is only $3161 if we go to say OKW or SSR (we could get 1 room rather than 2) it'd be $4643 & that's without the dining so add that on & it's $6131. That's $3000 more, I can't let her do that. I wish we could go back when the free dining was still being offered & just get them an additional room. Even doing that now is $788 or $1016 with the dining because I'm sure they'd have to pull one of their names out of that room & create a new room reservations which means no dining for that person.

So back to my original question, I was hoping they could maybe get a roll away bed & my neice & nephew could take turns sleeping in it giving my mom & step-dad a free bed to themselves every other night.

O.K. I really just needed to vent. Obviously. So thanks for listening. :cool:

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-28-2008, 10:07 PM
I am so sorry you have this vacation-planning stress! Travelling with family, can be, well, interesting.

POP doesn't have roll-aways (I don't think any Disney resort offers them). Some people have taken a blow-up air matress, but it is really tight fit in the rooms.

I think you just need to be honest, and let them know that you can't get any extra rooms, or room upgrades now. The moderate resorts also have double-beds, and DH and I aren't small people at all, and we did fine...so it won't be as horrible as they're thinking it might be.

Good Luck...I hope it works out :mickey:

mom2morgan
06-28-2008, 10:30 PM
We're doing the air mattress idea. There's just my hubby, me, and our girls age 16 and 9, but hubby and I are a little on the larger side as well ;-) and the 16 year old thinks it is a horrifying affront to her privancy to share a bed with ANYONE, and the 9 year old is a perpetual motion machine who keeps everyone awake. so...beds for the adults, and cheapie blow-ups for the kids, who would honestly just roll in a blanket and sleep on the floor quite happily even without one ;-)

buzznwoodysmom
06-28-2008, 11:27 PM
POP doesn't have roll-aways (I don't think any Disney resort offers them). Some people have taken a blow-up air matress, but it is really tight fit in the rooms.

I don't know about Pop for sure, but some Disney resorts do have roll away beds. When we went for Thanksgiving last year my SIL had 3 kids ages 12, 8, and 2. The 2 year old refused to sleep in a playpen so she slept with her 12 year old sister and the 8 year old brother slept on a rollaway bed/cot that was provided by CSR. They didn't even get charged for it. I am sure that them not getting charged was probably a mistake, but they definitely have roll away beds at some of the Disney resorts. Maybe you should just call Pop and tell them your situation and see what they can do to help you out. Good luck with everything.

sndral
06-28-2008, 11:38 PM
First, take a deep breath, it's gonna be fine. Now, go grab a room @ pop @ the room only rate (just went on special for like $69/nite) for the same dates. Don't change anything else, mom pays for the extra room and has the extra space but also stays on the original ressie and everybody still gets passes, DDP, etc. just like before. The helpful cm's will note that the parties are together so hopefully the rooms will be near each other.

TammiMcMan
06-28-2008, 11:43 PM
The simple answer to your question about the rollaway is yes. The problem is, the resorts have a very limited supply and there is no way you can guarantee one. Well, actually the CBR does allow you to pre-reserve and there is an additional charge. Everyone else is by request only at check-in and no charge if it's available. Many guests do bring a twin sized aerobed to accommodate those that don't want to share, but you can really only fit one in the value room.

Your 2nd situation is a bit more difficult, as it deals with family. Some of my stickiest vacations have been those planned with family. It can be awkward. Chances of you upgrading your resort and keeping free dining are pretty slim. Of course it's worth a phone call, just specifically ask for guest services though. It would be their decision as to whether they can extend free dining to an upgraded resort. Obviously Disney doesn't want to say no to more money, but the regular CM in the CRO department can only look at availability. Go with guest services.

When you find out your answer, just present the options to your mom. Honestly, the definition of "worth" is going to be different for everyone. If you don't feel comfortable with her offer to pay for a higher end resort, you can simply keep what you have and she can upgrade those staying in her room. That way, you all have a bit of privacy and down time away from the other group. Considering the difference in the kids ages, this might not be a bad thing. I'm sure you're touring styles are going to be different with a 5 and 7 year old, as compared to teenagers.

MuchLovedMama
06-29-2008, 12:30 AM
First, take a deep breath, it's gonna be fine. Now, go grab a room @ pop @ the room only rate (just went on special for like $69/nite) for the same dates. Don't change anything else, mom pays for the extra room and has the extra space but also stays on the original ressie and everybody still gets passes, DDP, etc. just like before. The helpful cm's will note that the parties are together so hopefully the rooms will be near each other.

They are going to need a name to put with the reservation for the 3rd room & since they have all of us already listed wouldn't we have to take for example my step-dad out & put him on the new reservation? They can't actually have his name as staying in 2 rooms can they?

MuchLovedMama
06-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks everybody for the advice. I had thought of the air mattress thing as well but with weight limits for lugggage I was hesitant but I'm going to mention that to her as well as calling guest services.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-29-2008, 07:54 AM
I was going to suggest the extra room as well... What does Disney care if one guy has 2 rooms, they are getting their $$! I am sur3e he can just explain it when he calls.

As far as the air matress, you could ship it down ahead of time! Fill up some snacks and other things in the box (like extra socks)

It will be there when you get there..

We will be at Pop Sept 20-26! I can't wait... dont let anyone make you feel nervous about this trip! You did a good job planning!

TammiMcMan
06-29-2008, 01:14 PM
They are going to need a name to put with the reservation for the 3rd room & since they have all of us already listed wouldn't we have to take for example my step-dad out & put him on the new reservation? They can't actually have his name as staying in 2 rooms can they?I don't think it would be a problem, if the 3rd room is a "room only" reservation. He would still have the vouchers for the free dining and no package would be associated with that extra room. Just be sure to request connecting rooms for the teens, plus your mom could even go so far as requesting a king bed room that connects to 2 doubles. That's something I wouldn't worry too much about though. They are usually very good about accommodating the connecting room request.

Young@Heart
06-29-2008, 01:56 PM
As far as the air matress, you could ship it down ahead of time! Fill up some snacks and other things in the box (like extra socks)

I was thinking this as well. Much cheaper and easiear than trying to get an extra room at this point.

KylesMom
06-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Well, "cramped" in a room is one thing, but being just too uncomfortable to sleep is another. It makes for a very long day in a Disney park if members of your family are not getting a good nights' sleep. If Mom & Dad are used to sleeping in their own beds each night, it is my guess that it will be intolerable to share the double with a 12 and/or 16 year old - even one night during their stay. At this point, I would guess that the portable air mattress shipped down ahead of time would be your best course of action if no room-only ressies are to be had at POP during the dates of your stay. If this is an impossible feat, ship the mattress down! They could either deflate it or prop them against the wall when not in use during the day.

Trust me, I know that $3k more is really an intolerable thought, but so is spending time with family members who don't get a good sleep at the Happiest Place on Earth!

DH is almost 6'6", and I'm almost 5'9". We gave up staying in the all stars because we simply could not get a decent nights' sleep in the double beds - even with one of us sleeping with DS (who was 6 at the time). We're used to a California King - but the Deluxe Queens are more than satisfactory to us.

If Mom & Dad are used to their space (i.e., own beds), there is no way that you can expect them to sleep properly in a double bed with either a 12 or a 16 year old! Good luck in your predicament - I'm sorry you've been put in this position!

crazypoohbear
06-29-2008, 07:55 PM
You can do two air beds in a value. I have done this for two years.
My DH and I slept in the two doubles and the boys slept on the air mattresses.
We put one at the foot of the bed nearest the sinks and the other one fits next to the door/window. We just move the little table and chairs over and there is room. In the morning we stand the two air mattresses up against the wall. Is it cramped, not really for us. We don't put the mattresses down until everyone is showered and used the bathrooms and ready for bed.
I also grew up in a ranch house with 3 bedrooms for 10 people and one bathroom so it is no big deal for us! :mickey:

lighteningqueen
06-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Have you at all considered the Suites at All Star Music??? We stay there and there are or is room for 6 people. The kids could double up and the parents could each have their own twin bed with the chair and ottomans that make out. The bedroom has a queen size in it and the couch is either a queen or full for sure. It cost 207.00 per night tax and all 2 full baths and 2 full size tvs plus the kitchenetten Cant be beat and everyone has a bed...

MuchLovedMama
06-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Well after being on the phone off & on with Disney today for over 5 hours (Yes! 5 hours) we finally got set with an additional room at POP. They took my step-dad & nephew out of the original room & put them in a new room with free dining. Thanks goodness! It was only $555 more than they were already paying & well worth it because truly all 4 of them need their own bed so we should be all set now. I had to keep calling back because I kept noticing errors with the reservations & I've found even 1 more that I need to call about tomorrow but I think it'll be well worth it.

Thanks all for the imput.

TammiMcMan
06-29-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm glad it all worked out for you.

sndral
06-30-2008, 02:49 AM
Thanx for letting us know that it all worked out. Your family is so lucky to have someone like you to do this for them. Enjoy the DDP, I'm looking forward to it when I go in Sept., too.