PDA

View Full Version : Pixie dust for my puppy's best doggie friend!

J9
06-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I have a 1.5 year old Bichon puppy named Brianna. She's been taking classes at Petsmart all year (she's actually going for the Canine Good Citizen award in two months!) and she made a really good puppy friend in her first class and they've been going through ALL their classes together.

Brianna's friend is named Kasha and she's a 1 year old poodle/bichon mix. They are so cute together. Brie gets really excited when we tell her she's going to school to see Kasha, and they first thing they do when they see each other is give puppy hugs. They're totally best friends and its so cute. My mom and Kasha's mom have also gotten to know each other fairly well too!

So last night in class, my mom said Kasha kept rubbing her ear, and her mom said she was going to the doctor's today.

My mom just got an email from Kasha's mom that Kasha couldn't move at all this morning and had to be rushed to some animal hospital all the way in NJ where there is a neurologist. They said something is very wrong with her, but they're not sure what and they don't know if Kasha will make it.

Kasha's a rescue dog (but oh so well behaved!) and the doctor's don't know if it's a tumor, or maybe from some prior head trauma, or a genetic neurologic condition, or something else entirely.

The saddest part is that its exactly one year ago this week that Kasha's mom lost their other dog, a bichon. They got Kasha to fill some of the void from that loss. They've barely had her a year.

So if you could please say a prayer for Kasha, I would really appreciate it. I lost my 16 year old Bichon, Brittany, suddenly last year to a brain aneurism, and I know I couldn't even survive the possibility of losing Brie already. I can't even imagine what poor Kasha's mom is going through. And that's besides the fact that Brie would lose her best friend!

Thanks, we appreciate it.

Hope0277
06-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Prayers and :pixie: on the way!

TiggeRia
06-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I hope that Kasha gets through all this with flying colors...sending lots of pixie dust and prayers her way! :pixie:

MsMin
06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Sending :puppy: kisses and :pixie: in hopes that Kasha pulls through.
My dd's bf's dad is a vet and he told them of a pup he had recently that went into a coma from licking a toad. Things can happen so fast... Hope she gets better soon...

mrsgaribaldi
06-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way.

daparish
06-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Prayers and :pixie: on the way. Keep us posted.

J9
06-29-2008, 09:08 AM
My mom got an email from Kasha's mom yesterday saying that the neuro vet determined its definitely a neurological problem at the lower base of her brain. What they don't know yet is exactly what the problem is and if it is treatable.

They have Kasha on medication now while they're waiting to do the MRI, and there is some good news that she's responding to it, at least. So that's a ray of hope.

They're doing an MRI soon, so hopefully they'll know some good news soon!

Also, it's amazing how much dogs understand. My mom told Brie the bad news last night, and it was totally like she understood. She trotted over to my mom gave her a little kiss, and then curled up in her lap. I love dogs!

disneydeb
06-29-2008, 09:39 AM
:puppy: :pixie:

cal5755
06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
AWWW!! I hope Kasha pulls through.... we are sending prayers and :pixie:

J9
07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Kasha's mom called last night with some very good news! The MRI came back completely clear, although Kasha is not out of the woods yet.

She has been responding well to medicine and is now walking around and drinking, so that's good. And the brought her home last night as well.

They think that she may have a genetic disorder called Addison's disease, but it's very treatable with medication. I did some research on it and it sounds a lot like what I'd consider "doggie diabetes." Its genetic and appears most often in Westies and Poodles. (Kasha is a Poodle-Bichon mix, so that makes sense.)

We always thought Kasha was very mellow and was always lying down in class. It looks like that's a symptom of this disease as well - listlessnes, lethargy, and pain in the hind quarters. What a surprise Kasha's parents will get if that puppy becomes more active! LOL

But we're so happy she's gonna be ok. We even told Brie the good news and she did the Bichon Buzz all around the family room!

Thanks for the pixie dust!!!