PDA

View Full Version : Got a return call from WDW re: Osborne Lights

Dyanna
06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
I emailed WDW a few weeks ago to vent how unhappy I was that the Osborne Lights viewing dates (starting on the 28th) were pushed back until after Thanksgiving. We had planned our upcoming mid Nov trip back in Feb just so we could go see the Osborne Lights. It was also going to be our last trip to WDW for a few years as it is getting harder for us to afford it.

Received a voicemail from WDW while I was out this afternoon. They stated that WDW has no plans on changing the Osborne start date but that they are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause us for our trip in Nov. My email was going to be forwarded to another department so that they may use it to make future improvements. They did mention that they knew that in the past the start date was in early Nov but had no reason why they decided to move it back. She did leave a number in case I wanted to call back but for what reason would I have to do so now. Our trip is already paid for & I cannot change our travel dates. Needless to day my family is bummed about not seeing the Osborne Lights & as mentioned this was the main reason for taking this trip in the 1st place.:mad:

laward32
06-27-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry you won't get to see Osborn Lights this year. I am glad to know that someone responded to your email. I wish something could be done to change the start date. Maybe if more people sent emails regarding their disappointment with this, they might move it.
I hope you still have a great trip.:mickey:

SgtTigger
06-27-2008, 06:56 PM
I am not sure when you are going...... I see mid Nov.
I have gone the week before Thanksgiving for the last 10 years..... They have always had the lights lit before the date listed...... Believe me they will have a pass holder preview before they light them up.....

Even know they say it I don't believe that they will not have soft openings before the listed date.... as a soft opening they will light the lights.........

:cop: :tigger:

Carol
06-27-2008, 07:25 PM
I can understand your disappointment. However, it is not Disney's fault you planned your trip before the dates were announced. :shrug: There have been many times the Christmas festivities have not started until after Thanksgiving.

The year I went to Disney at Christmastime, was the year the didn't offer the lights at all. (They were under construction moving the location.)

Of course I was disappointed - but didn't blame Disney because I booked my trip before knowing the Lights were being discontinued that year.

We still had fun. I'm sure you will too. :tree:

Twinsowner
06-27-2008, 08:13 PM
you may be right that it is not disney's fault that they scheduled it befor egetting the dates ofr the lights. But what about us that WAITED to schedule our trip until the 180 day mark and had no choice but to get reservations without knowing because disney did not release the schedule until June. I am not one to gripe and would never send an email to them but I can say that I think they really let some people down with this. We would have scheduled our trip for after thanksgiving had we known.

Pirate Granny
06-27-2008, 08:15 PM
OH NO...where is the schedule...did I miss it...I too planned our trip for the week before Thanksgiving...
:pirate:

TinkRocks
06-27-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm sorry you won't get to experience the lights; however, I do think the lights are a 'Christmas experience,' and shouldn't be out before Thanksgiving.

On the same topic as 'Christmas experiences,' I'm upset that the Christmas parade at Magic Kingdom doesn't start until a day or two before Christmas... What's up with that? LOL

Marceline
06-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Just throwing a possible reason out there...perhaps this is an energy savings effort? All those lights take a lot of electricity to run and everybody is starting to reign in the purse strings and make cuts and savings where they can in the current economy. Disney may have decided to wait for that particular light-show/event to begin until the more official kick off to the holiday season, which has always traditionally been AFTER Thanksgiving. It's only recently that retail commercialization has pushed the Christmas Holiday season to begin in early November anyways. Just a guess though.

There are still lots of festive things going on at the time of your visit...I believe MVMCP is running in November. That is a great way to feel festive!:santa3:

You really can't get too down about missing this one thing....I mean....your going to Disney World!!!!! :cloud9: That's a good thing. :mickey:

BMan62
06-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm sorry you won't get to experience the lights; however, I do think the lights are a 'Christmas experience,' and shouldn't be out before Thanksgiving.

On the same topic as 'Christmas experiences,' I'm upset that the Christmas parade at Magic Kingdom doesn't start until a day or two before Christmas... What's up with that? LOL

I believe the reasoning with the Christmas parade has to do with the MVMCP -- the Christmas parade is, I believe, the same parade as is used on the MVMCP dates.

buzznwoodysmom
06-27-2008, 10:09 PM
It does seem strange to me that they would push the lights back. I could see if the attendance at this event was poor until after Thanksgiving, but we were there last year for Thanksgiving and saw the lights the Monday before Thanksgiving and when I say the whole area was packed that is an understatement. We had a guy next to us say "This is more packed than New York City on New Year's Eve", and he was from New York.

I am sorry that you are going to miss the lights, but like other's have stated these dates are always subject to change. We'll be visiting next year for Thanksgiving and we'll have to decide if we want to miss the Osborne lights or the Epcot christmas events since both start the day after T-day and we'll be leaving the day after that.

As for the Christmas parade, it was always my understanding that the Christmas parade doesn't start up in the park during regular park hours because it is one of the MVMCP events and only guests attending the party get to experience it. Once the parties are over it becomes the day time parade for the remainder of the holiday season.

I hope everyone can still manage to have wonderful trips dispite the disappointment.

Mickey91
06-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Gosh PolyGirl40, lets tone it down just a little. A bit harsh for someone who is already bummed about their plans.

Also, not that these things can't change, the Christmas parade is usually offered as the 3:00 PM parade on Saturdays in Dec. The first Sat is usually the taping for Christmas Day. We have been during Dec twice and the Saturdays we have been there have had the Christmas parade. It is not publicized beforehand but will be on the day's schedule. Again, that was the past two years and it could change.

And one last thought, why not do as Ebenezer learned and keep Christmas all year long. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the beautiful lights and sounds of Christmas in Nov. I actually cave by mid September and start listening to my CDs. I love Christmas!! As long as I celebrate the birth of Christ with a joyful, loving spirit, why should I only do that for one month?? The world would be a much better place if we all celebrated peace on earth and goodwill toward men more than the month of Dec.

kakn7294
06-28-2008, 02:28 AM
I'm sending some :pixie: for those of you traveling in mid-Nov before the Osborn lights are to be lit. I hope Bret is right and you still get to see the lights. Check daily for soft openings - maybe you'll get lucky!

Carol
06-28-2008, 07:22 AM
Gosh PolyGirl40, lets tone it down just a little. A bit harsh for someone who is already bummed about their plans. :offtopic: Excuse me?? There is nothing wrong with my tone! I said I understand the disappointment. It has happened to me - not to mention ride closures ...etc...... :scratch:

However, it is not Disney's fault when we plan things before schedules. It's a chance we all take.

Back on topic please ....

TheRustyScupper
06-28-2008, 08:52 AM
1) One should never plan a whole vacation on one event.
2) Vacations are seldom made up of one single event/ride.
3) Especially at WDW with so many activities all around.
4) If the event/ride can be
. . . canceled
. . . closed
. . . moved or re-timed
. . . under rehab
5) If the event/ride is that important, then one should wait for the schedule.

Ladyvader
06-28-2008, 11:07 AM
1) One should never plan a whole vacation on one event.
2) Vacations are seldom made up of one single event/ride.
3) Especially at WDW with so many activities all around.
4) If the event/ride can be
. . . canceled
. . . closed
. . . moved or re-timed
. . . under rehab
5) If the event/ride is that important, then one should wait for the schedule.

Amen!! a voice of reason. I remember two holiday seasons ago that it rained nearly every night and the Osbourne Lights were canceled consistently. Not just a misting but heavy downpours. I felt like scrooge out by the Hat telling our guests the lights were canceled. To plan a trip on one event, and one event only is a risky thing to do! All things are subject to change.

Terk24
06-29-2008, 09:41 AM
No one needs a voice of reason. I too feel that Disney waits to long to release things. Many people don't have the luxury to wait 6 months or less to book a trip. I'm still waiting to get all details for food and wine festival. Also, how can Disney not have their rates set for '09. Many people need to start booking and planning trips now. I think Disney should be a little more proactive in setting dates early. Enough with the lecturing of how to or not to plan a trip.

mrsgaribaldi
06-29-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry for all the disappointment. I must be in the minority when I say I don't like the lights that much. :blush:
Anyway, I'm sure that you will all have a great time without the lights . And I hope they turn the lights on earlier so some of you are pleasantly surprised:pixie::pixie::pixie:

Daisy'sMom
06-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, you can always plan for next year. We always go the week after Thanksgiving. That time has never disappointed and that is where we feel the Christmas magic take over.:mickey:

Ed
06-29-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry for all the disappointment. I must be in the minority when I say I don't like the lights that much. :blush:

Honestly, I don't like it nearly as much as when it used to be on the backlot among the old movie/TV sets. The new location is just too compressed; everything is jammed into a relatively-small area. We used to enjoy a leisurely walk along the streets, sipping a nice hot chocolate... it was more like walking through a neighborhood that was full of the Christmas spirit.

We still make a point of going to the Studios during the time when the lights are on, but we don't spend nearly as much time taking in the show as we used to.

pink
06-29-2008, 05:34 PM
That's a bummer that they changed the days but I bet you will still have a magical trip anyways, enjoy. :mickey:

Scar
06-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Enough with the lecturing of how to or not to plan a trip.:confused:

I don't see any lecturing here. Just some good advice. :thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
06-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Hey Dyana!
I hope that SGT Tigger is right and the Osborne Lights will be ready for your vacation.
Enjoy it either way! Maybe some famous Intercot pixie dust will help light the lights in time for you.:thumbsup:

bigbabyblues
06-29-2008, 07:47 PM
..... They have always had the lights lit before the date listed...... Believe me they will have a pass holder preview before they light them up.....

Even know they say it I don't believe that they will not have soft openings before the listed date.... as a soft opening they will light the lights.........

:cop: :tigger:

I hope this is right! Our trip is 11/20-30, and we'll have one day to be able to see them, but it is the same night that we're going to the CP. When I planned our trip, I put two nights at DHS earlier in the week, before the schedule was announced.

We're new AP holders, and I'd love to see a preview Thanksgiving week, if not earlier!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 11:26 AM
:secret: I understand your disappointment...I too had planned my Dec. trip based on historical dates of MVMCP thinking we would finally be able to arrive early enough to see one...but when the dates came out the party ended the day before our arrival. I was extremely upset for about 2 days, but then I thought, we are still going to DW and we are getting to stay 10 nights YEAH...and we wouldn't have been able to come anyway because my son has midterms the day before...so focus on the best and it makes things seem a little better....I know I'm rambling but also, after we were booked my mother found out she had breast cancer and we thought we weren't going to go at all, but everything turned out great, she had surgery but doesn't have to have chemo so we will still be able to go at Christmas and everything will seem that much more special now anyway.

DNS
07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Dyanna - We are in the exact same boat. My niece is going this time with us and she is taking her daughter out of school ONLY to see the Christmas decorations. They usually go in the summer. I emailed them FIVE times, with no response! Finally I called them and they gave me an "executive" email and mailing address, so I emailed again, AND wrote a letter. After two weeks, I had a message left on my machine that basically said sorry, but it was an executive decision and basically there are many other great things at WDW. I tried to call the number on my caller ID and kept getting a recording that it was not a working number. This woman did not leave a number for me to return her call. It doesn't seem logical at all to me to have MK decorations and party, but none of the other parks. We cannot change our vacation because of flights, etc. also. We would never have chosen this time of year to go. We like May and September. We are all so upset about this. We can only hope that lights and decorations will be on at the other parks - AK and EP. When we base our vacations around Christmas times and schedules from the past couple of years, then they come out early with the Christmas party at MK, we don't expect to be cheated like this and that is exactly how I feel. We go at least once a year, but we will not be going back for awhile. This really took the magic out if the whole Disney experience for us. I know it's still Disney, but when you plan it based around a major theme and that theme is suddenly dropped............

DNS
07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
I also have to comment on those who are totally defending Disney's decision with the attitude that some of us are just being foolish. We DID wait on our plans until the November schedule did not come out as they usually do and found a good offer on plane tickets, so since the MK party is starting mid November, we booked. Let's see, doesn't the flower and garden festival start and end around the same time as well as food and wine, as well as all the celebrations over the years. They either keep things the same, it seems to me, or then expand. This is the first I've known for Disney to drop weeks off of a special celebration. This vacation is costing us thousands of dollars and we are upset and feel very let down and cheated. I can honestly say, I would not have planned this trip at all if I had any indication that the dates would be moved. I'm upset enough without having someone basically tell me how it's all my fault and lecturing on how to plan a proper vacation. I had THOUGHT that Intercot was a place for a kind of camaraderie of Disney fans and information.

SurferStitch
07-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry you'll miss the lights. It's tough when you get used to a schedule for something, and then it's changed.

But....

I'm one of the few who think that Disney does their Christmas stuff way too early. When we wanted to see the Christmas decorations and such, we planned our trips for after Thanksgiving. Everyone is different, but I just can't get all psyched up for Christmas before Thanksgiving.

It's just weird to think that if we had planned our upcoming 13 day trip for the end of October, technically we could see the Halloween and some Christmas stuff all in one trip! That's just not right.

So, the safest bet is waiting until after Thanksgiving for any Christmas festivities, especially if an entire trip revolves around certain events. I know this isn't an option for the OP, but maybe keep it in mind for future trips.

Mickey'sGirl
07-11-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree with you.... When we finally did see them I said, "Oh." Crowded and noisy isn't my thing.

That said, I am so sorry that it hasn't worked out for you. I hope that you luck out and get a soft opening before the official dates when you are there. :pixie:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry you'll miss the lights. It's tough when you get used to a schedule for something, and then it's changed.

But....

I'm one of the few who think that Disney does their Christmas stuff way too early. When we wanted to see the Christmas decorations and such, we planned our trips for after Thanksgiving. Everyone is different, but I just can't get all psyched up for Christmas before Thanksgiving.

It's just weird to think that if we had planned our 13 day trip for the end of October, technically we could see the Halloween and some Christmas stuff all in one trip! That's just not right.

So, the safest bet is waiting until after Thanksgiving for any Christmas festivities, especially if an entire trip revolves around certain events. I know this isn't an option for the OP, but maybe keep it in mind for future trips.

:-o I live in south Mississippi (basically the same hot muggy weather as Florida)-Can you believe it? Some of the stores here have already put out Christmas decorations...imagine peeling your hot sticky car seat off your sweaty rear and swishing your sweaty self into the local Wallyworld or Target just to see Frosty leering at you in that I'm cool kind of attitude....Now that's bringing Christmas a little too early, lets get through Hurricane Season and then we'll talk

DNS
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
I cannot speak for Dyanna or others, but we cannot go between Thanksgiving and the first of the year. That's one of the reasons we were so excited about the moving stuff to mid November a couple of years ago. It finally gave us a chance to see it all. So we thought.

Dyanna
07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
We had to book our trip when we did due to my husbands job which does not allow him to take off from Thanksgiving until after the New Year. We had talked about for a few years going down to see Osborne lights only to find out after we booked our trip that WDW decited not to hold the viewings until after Thanksgiving. Yes we are still thrilled that we are going but bummed a bit as this was our main reason for this trip.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 01:06 PM
:) That's why I like Intercot so much...I was so bummed, I too vented about the dates when I found out I couldn't see the Christmas party. That's actually when I found out that I had been missing out on the Osbourne lights on our past visits...we had been there when they were there but in ignorance had never really paid any attention to them....this will be our first trip to really experience them...I am sorry that you are going to miss them, I do understand that family obligations keep us from going when we want and so it wasn't your fault about booking before dates were released. I think people don't intend to sound mean when they say that, they are just trying to give good advice. But I bet you and your kids will have such a good time you'll never even remember being bummed when you actually get there.:cloud9:

Goes4FastPass
07-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I seem to be reading, "Why would you expect Disney to be celebrating Christmas before Thanksgiving?"

To which I would answer, "Well, Thanksgiving is almost at the very end of November this year and there are 6 nights of MVMCP scheduled before Thanksgiving. So... if you want to get in the Holiday Spirit as early as November 10th and you're willing to pay an extra fee, Disney is ready to "Roll out the holly" but if we're talking about Disney paying extra to "turn on the lights" then it isn't the Christmas season yet.

mrbghd
07-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Here is an idea. If you are that mad cancel your trip and spend your money somehwere else. Otherwise quit complaining about it becasue you are encouraging the actions you want to fight by patronizing WDW. Everybody gets upset when things that we are used to change but it happens. I know people are used to the lights being on at a certain time, but times change and things happen. It is the same way with people complainign about politics and yet do not vote. By spending your money at a place that has made you SO upset you give up your right to complain! Sorry for this sounding so rude or abrupt but I feel strongly about this.

Terk24
07-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes, politics and disney great comparison :party:. Some jobs, such as mine, retail management, DO NOT allow you to take time off between Thanksgiving and after Jan 1. You plan on things that Disney has been constant on for several years, since they can't give you a schedule to far in advance, (still waiting on some details for F&WF) then they change it. Yes it's Disney, but still is very disappointing. Also, if you have to be so negative, I'm sure there are many other boards out there that would appreciate your political debate :sick:.

mrbghd
07-13-2008, 12:00 AM
I was only using politics as an analogy but that was lost in transalation. If you work in retail think of this: If you don not treat your customer right and they keep paying you do you change your behavior---NO. I worked retail and you are a saint to do so because the hours and schedules are terrible. That being said SO WHAT! if you go to Disney after complaining about how they mistreat you by closing an attraction or changing the dates of the Christmas lights you are not part of the solution. I am trying hard not to be negative because I love WDW immensly but the sense of entitlement some people have is unbeleiveable. Disney is a publicly traded company with stockholders to please first and foremost. They are a business and can make any buisiness decicion they see fit. If you don't agree DO NOT give them your buisiness for if you do you are encouraging their behavior. As far as finding another board I am not that easily intimidated and quite enjoy most of the posts on this boards so I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon! My problem is with those that they think they deserve something because a buisiness made a buisness decision.

Polynesian Dweller
07-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I do understand the disappointment. Things like this have happened almost every year for us. Last year it was Space Ship earth delays. Over the years various favorite rides in rehab, and somtimes announced relatively close to when we travelled. One trip, we had only one day to ride Space Mountain, and that day it was done almost all day. Test Track opened late so we missed the opening we had hoped for.

It goes on and on. After 18 years of this, we've just learned to go with the flow and enjoy what's there. We don't let missing one or two things ruin the vacation because there's just so much there that we know we can have fun.

We've also learned that timing of events changes yearly likely for all kinds of operation reasons we can't know about. You learn that you can't know everything at the time you book and just accept what happens. Disappointing yes, but you can't let it ruin your trip. The chances are you will be back, and you will get to see them at some point. So, it will just give you a good reason to go back and to look forward to.

Here we go again...
07-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Here is an idea. If you are that mad cancel your trip and spend your money somehwere else. Otherwise quit complaining about it becasue you are encouraging the actions you want to fight by patronizing WDW. Everybody gets upset when things that we are used to change but it happens. I know people are used to the lights being on at a certain time, but times change and things happen. It is the same way with people complainign about politics and yet do not vote. By spending your money at a place that has made you SO upset you give up your right to complain! Sorry for this sounding so rude or abrupt but I feel strongly about this.

Wow, what happened to our board where we could discuss things without being told to cancel our trips?

This is my only problem:
I am a DVC member and have to book 11 months out to get a room. Since dates are not posted that early, I can only go by past events.
I am lucky enought to get a MVMCP in, but will miss the CP and the Osborn lights. The problem here? I am bringing 7 people... daughters, SIL, grandchildren.... all flights are paid for and there is no way to change dates on DVC once the November calendar is released. We would just have to miss this year. I can not do that to my grandkids.

So, to say that we should just cancel is insane.
The best predictor of future performance is past performance. In the past, the lights were lit at Thanksgiving. I did not think I was being unreasonable booking a trip when the kids were out of school, they have had the lights up at this time for the last few years AND the CP has started by this date.

Why can't we all just get along?

playdead88
07-13-2008, 08:12 AM
we missed toy story mania by 2 weeks - we planned our trip when the rumors were it was opening in spring of 08 - i mean we didnt plan our trip around the ride we just thought it would be cool if we were there for the opening -so it was kind of a bummer but it is now the 1st thing on the list of things to do in disney 09! :mickey:
sometimes you just have to sprinkle some pixie dust and move on....plus you are still going to disney world :cloud9: have a wonderful trip!

luvdiznee
07-13-2008, 09:08 AM
:offtopic:We were there in December 2006 and 2007 and I missed the Osborne lights both times. :shake: Totally my fault both times. The first time was when we got to MGM a little before our dinner at Cape May, but we planned to come back to see everything. Never made it. We were there with friends who had NEVER been to Disney and they just enjoyed the BW that much more. So we stayed there. ;)Then the 2nd time we went back to the room to get jackets, since it was a bit cool out. Never made it back, again. Just too tired. I hear the 3rd time's a charm. Anyway, sorry to the OP you may miss them, but I hope as posted earlier there is a "soft opening". :pixie:

VolMickey
07-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Amen!! a voice of reason. I remember two holiday seasons ago that it rained nearly every night and the Osbourne Lights were canceled consistently. Not just a misting but heavy downpours. I felt like scrooge out by the Hat telling our guests the lights were canceled. To plan a trip on one event, and one event only is a risky thing to do! All things are subject to change.

DITTO

Jarrod
07-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Wow, hot topic! We are in the boat with those who will be there before Thanksgiving and had hoped to catch the Lights and Epcot tree lighting. . .we extended our trip through Thanksgiving weekend, so hopefully we will be able to see both (I am sure the crowds will be big) But, all that said, my Question is "What is the likelihood that there will be a soft opening for all or AP holders the week leading up to Thanksgiving. I want to be able to take those that are coming with us to see the Osborne lights, but I am sure it will be crazy crowded the Friday / Sat after Thanksgiving.

DNS
07-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Wow, what happened to our board where we could discuss things without being told to cancel our trips?

Exactly! Especially when the trips are mostly paid for. Sometimes we get upset and it just helps to vent to those who might know how you feel. I actually do feel a little better having voiced my frustration. I hope others in the same boat do too.