PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian with kids

wetoofun
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
We will be staying at the GF in August. We have three children (15, 10 & 6). I have heard some families do not feel welcomed here. Just looking for opinions if the GF will be family freindly.

Thanks!

SBETigg
06-27-2008, 09:56 AM
My kids love the Grand Floridian. It's very welcoming to children. I think perhaps some people feel that the GF is stuffy and that they can't relax in finer surroundings. I disagree with that school of thought. I find the GF to be very relaxed elegance, quite comfortable. The pools are fantastic. My kids (16 and 14 now) enjoy watching the fireworks from the courtyard pool. You can actually see some of the higher fireworks from right in the pool! The other pool is zero entry with a great slide and right on the beach, great atmosphere.

My kids also enjoyed walking around the grounds, the lobby, going to Gasparilla Grill, the CS option, and getting ice cream and playing games. Another great place to watch fireworks is from outside Gasparilla Grill at the marina or on the dock near Narcoossee's, which is also a great place to view the Electric Water Pageant. Even the restaurants, Narcoossee's is one of their favorites, but there's a character meal at 1900 Park Fare and Grand Floridian Cafe is great, too. There's a kids section in the main lobby, and lots of planned activities for kids, like a ladybug release in the garden. Kids are everywhere at the Grand Floridian, just like at all WDW resorts. Enjoy!

em-n-mia's-mommy
06-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Two years ago we stayed at the grand floridian with our daughters who were then 3 and 21 months. They were very accomodating for us and very friendly. We had no problems.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-27-2008, 10:44 AM
We have not found the GF to be stuffy at all for us or our children.

Here are some reasons why our family loves the GF:

- Lots of character dining options
- Fireworks, the water pageant and the magical Cinderella's carriage (we were lucky to spot it on our last trip).
- The beach.
- A live band by the main pool (varies).
- The Basin shop where we picked out great little souvenirs.
- The spa where my DD and I enjoyed her first mani/pedi.

Aside from some single couples, nearly all of the people we have noticed staying in the surrounding rooms & using the concierge lounge had kids with them.
We're currently planning our 3rd family trip back.
I suspect that most people who find the GF to be not child-friendly have not stayed there or witnessed formal events, such as weddings.

tnpoohbear
06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
My kids are 17 and 15 and we stayed their for DD 16th birthday (that was her birthday wish) and I must admit I thought the same thing. But boy was I wrong! It is beuatiful and yes you do see some stuffy looking people at times but it was great! The CM were wonderful. The only thing we did not get was the Mickey Waffles. I wanted to stay at the Poly in Oct for our next trip but DD is wearing me down to stay at the Grand Floridian again. So I guess we might do that!!!:mickey:

TammiMcMan
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, some of the comments I've heard include feeling like they're at Grandma's house and they can't touch anything.

It must have something to do with pre-conceived notions, because nothing could be farther from the truth. Our kids started going there as babies and to this day, it still remains their favorite resort.

All the restaurants (except Victoria & Alberts) cater to kids and they have a supply of placemats that can be colored on. There's the arcade inside Gasparillas, daily pool activities and arts/crafts and storytime for some of the younger crowd. When you check-in, you'll receive a newsletter that highlights the activities available during your stay. Depending on the sex of your children, my girls always found the Garden tea lounge exciting, plus the spa and seeing the brides walking around.

If it's a theme you find appealing, go for it.

mel
06-27-2008, 12:59 PM
excuse me but this is disney... the kid paradise.. no really the gf is great for kids.. look for the maids going to the resort every day.. just relax and enjoy staying at the best resort at disney..:thumbsup:

jonahbear2006
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
we didnt stay at the GF, however, we hung out there a lot on our last trip and no one even questioned whether we belonged. Our son fell down, and busted his face open while we were there and 5 people rushed to him. We were offered, ice, a mickey pin, some paramedics (def. not needed), a bandage, and something for him to drink. We felt very welcome and loved at GF and With the four kids that we have 7,6,3,1, at the time, it suprised me. Some of the staff even took time to sit down with us at Gasparilla grill. I think it is a fantastic place for children. Have a great time.

irish1967
06-27-2008, 04:14 PM
We have stayed at the GF a couple of times with our children (currently 11 and 8) and have always had a wonderful experience. We always felt very welcome and all the CMs were very accommodating.

The only thing that really comes to mind as a special consideration is that being located so close to the wedding pavillian there are often wedding pictures being taken in the GF lobby. We needed to remind our boys a couple of times to avoid the areas where the pictures were being taken!