PDA

View Full Version : refillable mugs

coopy
06-27-2008, 08:35 AM
QUick question: I am returning for a second visit this year. I am assuming that I can use the refillable mug that I just bought a month ago, but can I use mugs from a previous year?

Thanks!!!!

Jeff
06-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Before the arguing and finger pointing begins:
Mugs are for Length of Stay only.

Unless you bought one years ago before the policy changed to length of stay, according to WDW, you are not supposed to use old mugs.

Figment!
06-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Sorry, the refillable mugs are only valid for free refills during the length of stay in which you purchased the mug.

Neither the mug(s) you purchased a month ago nor a year ago would be valid during a future stay.

Unless it has recently changed, the length of stay policy is printed on the side of each mug.

Figment52
06-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read something about barcodes on the mugs as well. The impression I got was that the dispensers are now barcode activated, to help with people using mugs from past trips. This would be a new development for us, as they didn't do that the last trip. For the life of me, I can't remember where I saw this.

Not that it matters, though, as we usually get a new mug every trip. I'm just curious.

coopy
06-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys. Now that I think about it, I remember the whole "length of stay" thing.

brownie
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys. Now that I think about it, I remember the whole "length of stay" thing.

It should be printed right on your mug, too.

disneydeb
06-27-2008, 04:16 PM
When they first started out, it was forever.
Then it began for that year only.
Now it is length of stay.
Next will be just for the day.:(

Shugoondola
06-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Next will be just for the day.:(

:laughing:

#1donaldfan
06-28-2008, 09:32 AM
barcodes are a good idea....I've seen many people using the old mugs....

.....this topic pops up about every 3 / 4 months.....if they go to barcodes this topic will become a dinosaur....:cool:

PetefromRI
06-28-2008, 12:29 PM
The only place that I've seen the barcodes is at the waterparks.You buy a new barcode sticker evrytime you go and stick it on your old mug.It's cheaper than buying a new mug every trip.My pantry is about full with old resort mugs!

mommy2maddi
06-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Can the refillable mugs be used only the year you purchase them or can they be used in future years?
thanks!!!:mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
06-28-2008, 04:32 PM
No,no,no ! They are only to be used for your stay.:shake:

Figment52
06-28-2008, 06:00 PM
The only place that I've seen the barcodes is at the waterparks.You buy a new barcode sticker evrytime you go and stick it on your old mug.It's cheaper than buying a new mug every trip.My pantry is about full with old resort mugs!

Oh ok, I thought I had read that somewhere, even if it wasn't the resorts.

dan864
06-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi Ppl
Is There Any Official Site With Info About The Mugs,because I Read On Another Disney Fan Site That Disney Are Thinking About Putting More Refill Drink Stations Around The Resort Areas,(eg) Caribbean Beach,2 At Each Building Area (eg)trinidad South/north,aruba,jamaica So On.
Bar Codes Would Work Like In The Water Parks,maybe Bring Your Old Mug Back And Just Pay For The Bar Code,or Trade In The Old One And Get A New One Half Price.
Ive Been Going Since 1998 And Ive Purchased A New Mug Every Time Ive Been,now Ive Seen Other People At The Resorts,with MUGS That Had To Be 10 Years Old,refilling There Cups And Cast Member Just Letting It Go.
So If Its Fine With Cast Members,i Cant See A Problem With Someone Taking A Cup That They Purchased A Few Months Ago.
Also,does Anyone Know If The Resorts Have Changed The Mugs,or Is It Still The Year Of A Million Dreams Mug,im Staying At Caribbean Beach,and Was Hoping For A New Design On The Mug.

Figment52
06-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Ppl
Is There Any Official Site With Info About The Mugs,because I Read On Another Disney Fan Site That Disney Are Thinking About Putting More Refill Drink Stations Around The Resort Areas,(eg) Caribbean Beach,2 At Each Building Area (eg)trinidad South/north,aruba,jamaica So On.
Bar Codes Would Work Like In The Water Parks,maybe Bring Your Old Mug Back And Just Pay For The Bar Code,or Trade In The Old One And Get A New One Half Price.
Ive Been Going Since 1998 And Ive Purchased A New Mug Every Time Ive Been,now Ive Seen Other People At The Resorts,with MUGS That Had To Be 10 Years Old,refilling There Cups And Cast Member Just Letting It Go.
So If Its Fine With Cast Members,i Cant See A Problem With Someone Taking A Cup That They Purchased A Few Months Ago.
Also,does Anyone Know If The Resorts Have Changed The Mugs,or Is It Still The Year Of A Million Dreams Mug,im Staying At Caribbean Beach,and Was Hoping For A New Design On The Mug.

If the mugs are 10 years old, they're allowed to use them. I can't remember the exact year they stopped, but it used to be that if you purchased the mugs, they were good for free refills forever. Those mugs have been grandfathered and can still be used. We have quite a few of those. If they did use the barcodes at the resorts, than they'd have to give out the stickers for those mugs free.

Though, I kind of like the trade in idea. If people didn't want the old ones anymore, than they could get a new one, while the old was recycled.:thumbsup:

CleveRocks
06-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Can the refillable mugs be used only the year you purchase them or can they be used in future years?
thanks!!!:mickey:
It is printed right on the mug that it can be used for free refills only during the stay during which that mug was purchased. This rule is also on signs at the point of sale.

There are people who cheat the system and bring mugs back again and again. There are almost no first-hand accounts of people being refused refills by Cast Members, but it IS against the rules.

Lorraine444
06-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Don't they have different mugs all the time to avoid this?

KineGirl
06-29-2008, 01:52 AM
uh oh :scared: I hope this doesnt get ugly in here

To answer PP question about whether they change the mugs - I believe the answer is no. They are relying on you to be honest that you got the mug during that visit. They used to have resort specific ones but now all use a standard WDW mug. The design may vary year to year though... Im not sure as I havent bought one in a few years.

disneydeb
06-29-2008, 02:10 AM
There is an identical thread located in the Dining forum. Perhaps a moderator will merge the two threads and close one.

In the beginning , they were forever.
Then it as for that year.
Now it is for this stay only .
Soon they will be good for the day only.

You may use your old mugs only at home as a memorable token of your trip only now.

kakn7294
06-29-2008, 05:22 AM
I thought my old mugs from ASMusic should be good "forever" under the old policy. However, I've used them so much since I purchased them many years ago (sitting here sipping coffee from one right now) that most of the picture has worn off! I can only see Daisy Duck, a bit of where it says "Walt Disney World", some of the "All Star Resorts" logo, and the Coca-Cola logo.

MMouse6937
06-29-2008, 09:16 AM
I do have some old ones but like Kathy said I use them so much no one would know what they're from. The barcodes have only been implemented at the water parks and I have been told that I can bring that mug back and just buy a new barcode and use it again. We didn't buy one of the resort mugs last year. The new generic YOMD ones are kinda lame in my opinion. I loved when they were specific to your resort, they were like souviniers to me.

PetefromRI
06-29-2008, 11:30 AM
I think that I read that the CSR is the only place that sells a mug that isn't YOMD.Is this true?We'll be there in Sept. and I wouldn't mind getting a mug with a different design on it.

Figment52
06-29-2008, 11:34 AM
I loved when they were specific to your resort, they were like souviniers to me.

Wait. They aren't resort specific anymore? That was half the reason we bought them. I guess we'll skip them this time.

Young@Heart
06-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Wait. They aren't resort specific anymore? That was half the reason we bought them. I guess we'll skip them this time.

We love the resort logo mugs, but don't have the YOAMD mugs yet, so I'm actually looking forward to them! It'll be fun to take mine to work w/ me in Sept. :mickey:

CleveRocks
06-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I think that I read that the CSR is the only place that sells a mug that isn't YOMD.Is this true?We'll be there in Sept. and I wouldn't mind getting a mug with a different design on it.
CSR's food court, The Pepper Market, isn't owned by Disney ... it's leased out to an outside company. That company does not wish to participate in the trans-resorts mug sharing. So they kept the resort-specific mug, which can be used only at CSR, and they won't accept the new generic YOAMD mugs.

r4kids
07-01-2008, 12:50 AM
We also used our mugs so much they aren't recognizable any more. We didn't buy them on our last trip though so we are due for new ones. Maybe this time..... We'll see. I think the swap for 1/2 price or a new barcode is a great idea. Although to be honest I've never seen a barcoded mug.:blush:

mom2morgan
07-01-2008, 12:00 PM
UH...and if you're irritated by the cheaters you re-use old mugs...I saw something else when I was there that kind of ticked me off. There was more than one family that appeared to be sharing one mug BETWEEN them...going back for endless refills and just sharing. I'm quite suprised that none of the cast members said anything about that..but I guess they don't want to be constantly confronting people. I'll admit we WON'T be buying them this time around - we didn't get our value out of them last time, because we weren't about to walk back and forth to the food court each time, or return our mugs to our rooms after breakfast before heading to the bus stop. 'sides, since nothing healthy is included (no milk or juice) I find they seem to encourage us to drink way more pop than we ordinarily would.

r4kids
07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
UH...and if you're irritated by the cheaters you re-use old mugs...I saw something else when I was there that kind of ticked me off. There was more than one family that appeared to be sharing one mug BETWEEN them...going back for endless refills and just sharing. I'm quite suprised that none of the cast members said anything about that..but I guess they don't want to be constantly confronting people. I'll admit we WON'T be buying them this time around - we didn't get our value out of them last time, because we weren't about to walk back and forth to the food court each time, or return our mugs to our rooms after breakfast before heading to the bus stop. 'sides, since nothing healthy is included (no milk or juice) I find they seem to encourage us to drink way more pop than we ordinarily would.

We only bought 3 for our family of 6 a few years ago. We didn't continuously refill them like the other families you saw but we did share. Can you imagine carrying 6 of those! And then the numerous trips to the rest room :shake: No way... We didn't find anything decent expcept OJ in the morning and occasionally apple juice. We really don't drink soda.

brian2000boston
07-01-2008, 01:44 PM
How big are these mugs? Anyone have a picture? Just a little curious since this has been such a hot topic... can you buy the lifetime mugs from people or does it not transfer. Wondering if companies out there may have new ones for sale that were never used, of course i wouldnt want to buy anyones old icky cups...:mickey:

Figment52
07-01-2008, 07:09 PM
We only bought 3 for our family of 6 a few years ago. We didn't continuously refill them like the other families you saw but we did share. Can you imagine carrying 6 of those! And then the numerous trips to the rest room :shake: No way... We didn't find anything decent expcept OJ in the morning and occasionally apple juice. We really don't drink soda.

That's another reason we're reconsidering getting mugs this year. While we do use them for occasional soda, we mostly used them for coffee in the morning. CBR has coffee makers in room, though, so I doubt we'd use them as much this time.

Nascfan
07-01-2008, 07:19 PM
How big are these mugs? Anyone have a picture? Just a little curious since this has been such a hot topic... can you buy the lifetime mugs from people or does it not transfer. Wondering if companies out there may have new ones for sale that were never used, of course i wouldnt want to buy anyones old icky cups...:mickey:

There's a picture of a Typhoon Lagoon mug in the Info Central tab under Miscellaneous. Just as an FYI they are now $12.49. The ones at the resorts are thinner as to fit in a cup holder of a car, but still hold a good amount. No, the lifetime would not transfer, and if anyone got hold of some new ones, I'm sure they'd charge more than what Disney does, not to mention probably be illegal.

Bottom line on the lifetime though, if someone bought one that far back, they'd have to have taken pristine care of it for it still to be useful. I'd just spring for a new one, especially since they didn't have the Year of a Million Dreams design they have now.

I do hope they go back to resort specific designs after this promotion, but I doubt they will. I'm sure it's cheaper to mass produce one design vs. a dozen or so.

Mickey91
07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
uh oh :scared: I hope this doesnt get ugly in here

To answer PP question about whether they change the mugs - I believe the answer is no. They are relying on you to be honest that you got the mug during that visit. They used to have resort specific ones but now all use a standard WDW mug. The design may vary year to year though... Im not sure as I havent bought one in a few years.

Unfortunately, the only difference in the mugs this year from last is that they no longer say 2007. I was very disappointed. I thought I would at least get a new picture this year, but no. They are all the same.:(

Figment52
07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Bottom line on the lifetime though, if someone bought one that far back, they'd have to have taken pristine care of it for it still to be useful. I'd just spring for a new one, especially since they didn't have the Year of a Million Dreams design they have now.

We have all the mugs we've ever gotten - since 95 - they're still useable, and we certainly don't take pristine care of them. In fact, we use them all the time. Sure, the logo on some of the older ones has rubbed off a bit, but no big deal. The only reason we got new ones each trip was because of the resort logo. We've decided not to get new ones this trip because the YOMD logo is too generic and not something we're interested in. Heck, that promo started in 2006 - YOMD is long over.

luvdiznee
07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
The only thing I have to say, is "bring back the resort mugs". :thumbsup:

Marceline
07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
The only thing I have to say, is "bring back the resort mugs". :thumbsup:

HERE HERE!! Quite agreed!:thumbsup:

Errrr, wellll, AFTER I get my YOMD mug this year that is. :D