PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about CBR please!

Bethanymouse
06-26-2008, 08:15 PM
We have the opportunity to upgrade from the POP to CBR for our August trip for only 289 more for 11 days. What are your thoughts? What can you tell me about the resort? It is crowded? What would you do? Most of all, how is the transportation?

Thanks!

mrsgaribaldi
06-26-2008, 08:38 PM
CBR has individual islands with pools. I think it would be less crowded. Have stayed at both several times and love them both. If I could I would aways stay at the moderate or delux levels. Never used the bus system, sorry.

sisterslovindisney
06-26-2008, 09:29 PM
My sister and I stayed two nights at CBR in 2004We thought the resort was very nice. I would say that if you have little ones they may like Pop better. As the pp said each building has its own "quiet pool". We didn't make it over to the big pool at the main building but I understand it is nice. It is a large resort and depending on which building you are in, the bus ride may be long. We didn't have any problems with the bus though. I felt the resort was more themed for adults but then again, we didn't have kids with us so we didn't look into any of the kids programming that might have been available.I hope that helps.

garymacd
06-26-2008, 09:40 PM
I think a lot depends on what you want in a resort. If you are getting the upgrade for free, well, yeah, take it. If money is an issue, stay with POP.

While CBR is not our favourite resort, it is a beautiful resort with bus stops in every village.

The food court was very nice with a large selection of foods. The feature pool was nice and there were about 6 quiet pools.

The grounds are spectacular. The rooms are slightly larger than at POP.

brewcrew26
06-26-2008, 09:51 PM
If you have little ones, the walk from your "island" at CBR may be long especially after a tiring day in the parks. It can be a long time to wait for the internal bus system.

We stayed at Trinidad North, one of the islands right next to Old Port Royale where the food court, shopping, arcade, and main pool area is. Since the pool was under construction, I can't state anything about that, but we did enjoy the private pool at the island. It was never totally full. The heat was very nice at night. It didn't have a slide or anything, but we really didn't need that since we were on our honeymoon. The beach areas are nice since they have hammocks and sand, so the little ones can build sand castles.

We only ate at the food court twice. Once for breakfast and once for a CS dinner. It can get very crowded during main dining times, so it can be hard to find seating, especially if you have a larger group. We liked being able to sit outside and look out over the marina.

The check-in area was very small so you may have to wait outside when you get there, especially if there's a loaded bus from DME. It took us about 30-45 mins. in line before we got to a CM, but it was still a very pleasant experience. Just not a lot of room.

We didn't have any real problems with the bus system. Most days the bus we wanted was the first one we saw and most times it was empty. I don't know if it was sheer luck or just really good timing on our part. But, we did run into a bus driver who seemed to get confused with her route on the way back from one of the parks (it might have been Epcot). She first drove us to Blizzard Beach and then she took us to Pop Century before she finally made it to CBR. It added a good 30 minutes on to the trip.

I would probably stay at one of the Port Orleans, or try CSR before staying at CBR again. But that isn't to say that it isn't nice. I know some people have their own opinions about it, but we found it to be very pleasant, clean, and a nice reprieve after a long day in the parks.

Wrigley
06-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I personally would do the upgrade. We are going to stay at CBR on our upcoming trip-it's our favorite moderate resort! The theming is beautiful and colorful-very tropical feeling. We love Old Port Royal-the food court. It has many options. It's also nice to have the main pool and then each section of islands has it's own quiet pool. We never thought the resort seemed crowded and we have stayed at CBR several times. We have also stayed at POP, and if I was able to have the choice-CBR all the way!:mickey::mickey:

sassafras
06-26-2008, 10:20 PM
I agree with brewcrew26 and would prefer to stay at POR before ever returning to CBR. We were in Barbados and after one day of waiting for a bus after bus to have room for us, we defected to Martinique. Never had any problem getting on a bus there.

Loved the beach area, but the food court was always crowded at breakfast. I think we were there at the same time as brewcrew26 because we had a female bus driver that seemed lost too. We went to Blizzard Beach and Pop Century, thru the wrong gate but only after she seemed to think she was going to attempt a u-turn. Then she took us in the back way to CBR and it took FOREVER to get back the resort that day.

I vote for POR or try CSR!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-26-2008, 10:24 PM
I absolutely would! You will really love the tropical, relaxing atmosphere. Buses were not a problem. That's not a bad price for the upgrade, either. If I remember correctly the main pool is reopening in Sept. (?). We just stayed in Martinique, and it was a great location, close enough to Port Royale and a bus stop, and out of sight of pool construction.
:wave:

Gator
06-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Some posters have complained about the long walks after getting back from the parks, but I can't imagine the walks being any worse than the ones at POP. I would definitely upgrade. You get a fridge for free (store milk for morning cereal), and a water boiler/coffee maker that can make hot cereals in the morning. Plus the bus service is better and you're very close to Epcot and DS.

gerald72
06-27-2008, 06:08 AM
I am also going in August, but for only 3 nights.
I also was given the option of upgrading from Pop Century to CBR. Mine was also aroung $300, but they threw in Deluxe Dining Plan and Park Hopper Option. I took it.
Did they add those two for you as well. If, so, obviously, take the deal.
Do you think they are upgrading to CBR because the main pool is currently closed and others are not booking there?
Is this something that happens from time to time? Next time I book, should I ask to be upgraded to a resort where a pool is closed/ construction is happening?

EPCOTGAL1
06-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Hi Everyone! Newbie here :)

We stayed at CBR in April 2007 and 2008 and loved it! Myself, DH and DD (16). We never had to wait long for any buses. The food court was great with many selections for a quick meal. We always felt like we were the only ones staying there because once you leave the Port Royale area....it's so peaceful and a very tropical setting. You are able to catch (somewhat) Illuminations because you anchor EPCOT. We stayed at Barbados and Trinidad North. The rooms were very clean. The only hang-up I have with the moderate resorts is the double beds! But to stay at Disney and save a few bucks - I'll do it!

CleveRocks
06-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Pop's rooms are 260 square feet. CBR's rooms are 340 square feet. A decent difference.

CBR rooms have a refrigerator, a ceiling fan, and 2 sinks.

If you are traveling after Sept.15, CBR has a main pool with a pool slide, and also has a hot tub. Pool towels are available at the main pool. Each of the 6 villages has its own quiet pool.

Each of the 6 villages has its own bus stop, so there's no such thing as a long walk to a bus from any room. The bus stop itself is covered so protect you from rain and hot sun.

CBR has a table-service restaurant.

All of the things I mentioned about CBR are amenities that Pop lacks.

For 11 days, I'd pay $26 extra per day for the extra space in the room alone.

CleveRocks
06-27-2008, 07:17 AM
But, we did run into a bus driver who seemed to get confused with her route on the way back from one of the parks (it might have been Epcot). She first drove us to Blizzard Beach and then she took us to Pop Century before she finally made it to CBR. It added a good 30 minutes on to the trip.

Just as a general point of information ...

The above incident had to be frustrating, but cannot accurately be seen as a knock on CBR.

This is because Disney Transport bus drivers are not resort specific. It's not like that driver is a CBR driver, and if you stay at CBR you run the risk of having her get you lost every day.

The DIsney Transport bus drivers never know ehere they're going from one run to the next. If a driver is picking up at CBR and taking guests to Magic Kingdom, en route to MK or after she arrives at MK she'll get a radio call telling her of her next assignment. Her very next run could be to go to Saratoga Springs to drive fols to Epcot, it could be to go to Fort Wilderness Campground and be the internal shuttle, and so on.

MuchLovedMama
06-27-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm one of the odd balls that doesn't care for CBR. CBR was our first time staying at a Disney hotel. That was 9/2000.

We thought the theme was neat. We loved our very quiet (most of the time we were the only ones there) pool. The food court wasn't bad but pretty far from our room. I don't think we ever waited more then 5-10 mins for a bus. I personally thought the check in area was quite large (we were used to Embassy) but VERY slow.

With that being said we didn't care for our room. We thought the buildings themselves were very old & run down. The walls in our room had chunks missing in several places.

After leaving there we commented that we'd never stay at a Disney hotel again that we'd go back to Embassy. This trip we were going to do just that but then I got the special offer for free dining so in order to take advantage of that we decided to try POP since it's a newer resort. We didn't think it'd have that old & run down feel to it. Crossing our fingers. If I were able to upgrade I probably would but I'd try something other than CBR.

RBrooksC
06-27-2008, 12:03 PM
We stayed at CBR in 2004 for our Honeymoon in September right after the pre-Labor Day hurricane. We loved it and we would stay there again if we didn't fall in love with WL. The resort is centrally located and since we rented a car, it made it perfect to getting to places. It was quiet especially because the hurricane kept away people.

The food court area was large and had everything we needed. We stopped there each morning before the parks to get coffee or whatnot. We even ate breakfast there one day and lunch there another day.

I would say upgrade to CBR and enjoy staying in your upgrade to a moderate resort.

brewcrew26
06-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Just as a general point of information ...

The above incident had to be frustrating, but cannot accurately be seen as a knock on CBR.

This is because Disney Transport bus drivers are not resort specific. It's not like that driver is a CBR driver, and if you stay at CBR you run the risk of having her get you lost every day.

The DIsney Transport bus drivers never know ehere they're going from one run to the next. If a driver is picking up at CBR and taking guests to Magic Kingdom, en route to MK or after she arrives at MK she'll get a radio call telling her of her next assignment. Her very next run could be to go to Saratoga Springs to drive fols to Epcot, it could be to go to Fort Wilderness Campground and be the internal shuttle, and so on.

I didn't mean it to be a resort-specific complaint. I realize they shift their routes all the time to deal with where the people are. I was just commenting that it was really the only glitch we had in bus transport for our stay at CBR.

Another thing, if you like Epcot and Studios, the resort is really close to there. It was probably less than 10 mins.

Bethanymouse
06-28-2008, 12:36 AM
I am also going in August, but for only 3 nights.
I also was given the option of upgrading from Pop Century to CBR. Mine was also aroung $300, but they threw in Deluxe Dining Plan and Park Hopper Option. I took it.
Did they add those two for you as well. If, so, obviously, take the deal.
Do you think they are upgrading to CBR because the main pool is currently closed and others are not booking there?
Is this something that happens from time to time? Next time I book, should I ask to be upgraded to a resort where a pool is closed/ construction is happening?

This is a great offer. I wouldnt think twice about booking it if they threw in the dining as well. Was there a code, or should I just call and ask for it?

Bethanymouse
06-28-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks so much for all of your input. We are stilling weighing out our options. I appreciate all of the feedback!

thumperbug
06-28-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm a DVC member who is spoiled by DVC resorts and rooms but found not much to complain about our stay in a regular room at CBR. We had to take a last min trip to WDW in Feb with only a weeks notice so CBR was the only option open to us at the time. We stayed in Barbados which was great because it was the first pick up bus stop. It was only a 5 min walk to Port Royale. The big bummer was that the 2 beds in the rooms were doubles...not queens.

The frames the beds were on were also not stable and any slight movement in/on the bed caused loud creaking. Other then that, the rooms were fine. We don't spend a lot of time in the room so for bathing and sleeping it was fine.

disneydeb
06-28-2008, 07:16 PM
I am another oddball that does not like CBR. Nothing is worse than getting a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor and not having an elevator schlepping small children and luggage up the steps topped off by long walks to the food court.
CBR = never again , with small children and a do -it -yourself husband.

CleveRocks
06-28-2008, 09:11 PM
CBR has only 2 floors. There's no 3rd floor there.

pixiesmimi
06-29-2008, 09:37 PM
We loved CBR in August 2007. Our room was great and we had a king size bed (upgrade without having to pay). Much bigger room than we had ever had and it was quiet unlike ASMovies. We would definately go back.

As far as someone said about kids making sand castles, there were playgrounds on the sand in some areas, but I wouldn't recommend playing in it much. We went down one evening just to swing in the hammock on the beach and enjoy the peace and both of us ended up with sand flea bites on our ankles and feet from just walking across the sand. But there is plenty to do there for the kids with the quiet pools, the main pool (when reopened) the arcade and gift shop and food court and other activities. Most people aren't there more than just to eat and sleep anyway but it is a beautiful resort. I would definately go back, especially if I got a special rate.

rnin02
06-30-2008, 05:10 AM
We love CBR, have never had any problems there. The buses have never seemed overly crowded or have a really long wait. The resort itself is just beautiful, so colorful and scenic. I would definitely upgrade, in a heartbeat! Checking in has always gone smoothly at this resort, it really has a better food court I think then POR or AKL, and overall we've always been so happy to stay there.

yjgirl715
06-30-2008, 10:40 AM
I have only stayed at t alot. It was very clean. Mousekeeping was great- they kept lining up my DS3's stuffed animals and cars that he got in various places around the room. The foodcourt was very good- lots of choices. It does get a little crowded in the morning, but manigable. The bus ride wasn't too bad- just had to go around to all the other stops so took a little longer. The walk back from our bus stop was a little bit of a hike but I don't know hwat it would be like from PoP so I have nothing to compare it to. It will all depend on your taste- I love the beach theme. Good luck!

Queen Stephanie
06-30-2008, 10:45 AM
CBR is a beautifully themed resort and a step up from POP. It is worth the expense...go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Mousemates
07-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Just an option:

I would suggest a split stay if you are traveling with kids....to me the value resorts are great to get you in the disney spirit with their kindof over the top in your face theming....small kids (as well as big kids and their parents) love it. But it can kind of wear on you after a few days, as can the relative smallness of the rooms.

So what we tend to do is start off at a value for a few days and then move up the ladder to a moderate and sometimes on up to a deluxe. (This time we went from the ASMovies to the Caribbean Beach and finally on to the Swan). We use the move days to do something like DD, a waterprk or DisneyQuest. the moving is not for everyone, but it works well for us.

gerald72
07-13-2008, 01:32 AM
This is a great offer. I wouldnt think twice about booking it if they threw in the dining as well. Was there a code, or should I just call and ask for it?

There was no code. In fact they offered it.