PDA

View Full Version : Rain, rain go away...

Nancyjae
06-26-2008, 03:36 PM
The weather channels have been saying that its been raining really hard over "the world" the last few days. We're heading down next week, and hoping it clears up some.

My question is, what do you do around the world when its a constant, all day rain?

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-26-2008, 03:51 PM
My question is, what do you do around the world when its a constant, all day rain?

We grab our ponchos and head to the parks.:thumbsup:
They are usually quieter and the rain does not make much of a difference to us.

Goofy Forever
06-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Definately ponchos (bring your own, don't buy them). Otherwise, go to all the inside shows.:mickey:

tinkerkell070
06-26-2008, 04:21 PM
I have never had to deal with much rain while on my trips in December. But I always make sure to hit the dollar tree before I go. They have a package that contains two rain ponchos for a dollar. These are great, easy to carry and when it stops raining you can just toss them.

Goes4FastPass
06-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Ponchos? Yuck.

Many attractions at WDW are actually inside or under a cover. Do you really want to sit down at Philharmagic wearing a wet trash bag?

I carry an umbrella - the kind that so small I can attach it to my belt.

I walk in out of the rain, one shake and a quick fold up and I'm comfortable while the family beside me are trying to decide what to do with their portable (poncho) tents.

Out the exit, 'pop', I'm covered, on to the next thing.

Um-brel-la.

MushuGrl
06-26-2008, 04:55 PM
On my very first Disney vacation, it literally rained all day, all week, except for one day. I'm not talking about sporatic showers, I'm talking constant rain..all day.

I put a hat on, which protected my glasses from the constant rain, and let 'er rip.

Since then, I've gone to Fred's and purchased not ponchos, but plastic raincoats. The material is made of thicker stuff, so you don't feel quite so gross.

disneymom15
06-26-2008, 04:58 PM
We also use umbrellas. Nothing you can do about the rain except just deal with it. We sometimes have the most fun when it is raining. I'll cross my fingers for you and hope the rain stops.

Simba'sBud
06-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, I don't know about you guys, but here in SC we are having a severe drought, so if you can find some way to channel that rain up here, then we could get some relief and you all could enjoy beautiful sunny days in the World.

Hope it clears up for you and have a safe trip!

Gottaluvgoof
06-26-2008, 05:32 PM
We grab our ponchos and head to the parks.:thumbsup:
They are usually quieter and the rain does not make much of a difference to us.

:ditto:

Marilyn Michetti
06-26-2008, 05:39 PM
I have never had to deal with much rain while on my trips in December. But I always make sure to hit the dollar tree before I go. They have a package that contains two rain ponchos for a dollar. These are great, easy to carry and when it stops raining you can just toss them.

Hey, WELCOME TO INTERCOT !!

TheRustyScupper
06-26-2008, 07:35 PM
1) I know that tourists want the rain to stop.
2) Locals want the rain every day.
3) Florida has a drought problem.
4) The aquifers need to be filled.
5) Please bear with Florida and accept the rain.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Also, another good thing about the rain is you can see the Rainy Day Parade at MK. It's really very unique and I enjoy it when it rains! The characters come out in rain gear and are a lot more interactive than the regular 3:00 parade. Guests really love it!

wonderalice23
06-26-2008, 11:55 PM
If it's summer, I head out with a poncho or umbrella. However, after this January - if its chilly out I will find something to do inside....I ended up with a cold in Disneyworld!! :ill: But something to do inside could always just include shopping on Main Street!

SpaceMtn101
06-27-2008, 12:11 AM
well the storms have been preety nasty down here lately... yesterday there was quarter size hail at Disney ... and my apartment complex has been struck 3 times in 3 weeks by lightening ...

just be prepared for some nasty weather :)

Gator
06-27-2008, 03:49 AM

You get wet.:D When I was there during the summer of 2002, all it did was rain. We couldn't just do nothing, so we donned the ponchos and braved the elements. We'd have to sit our shoes on the air conditioner at night so they'd be dry by morning.

Jeniflower
06-27-2008, 07:54 AM
I live in Scotland and it rains here way to much and its cold and miserable with it. when it rains a disney, it still seems nice and I just laugh and get on with things. I'm going to get wet anyway whether its Spash Mountain or the Kali River rapids, so what's a little rain. I'll just keep on Singing and dancing in the rain:goodbad::coaster::rain:

senderella
06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Just got back....it did rain alot. I take that back, it stormed more than usual. At odd times too. I expect the "brief" afternoon showers, but these were soaking storms that lasted a good part of the day.
My advice would be to eat while it is not raining if you don't have ADR. We found that everyone flocked to eateries as soon as it started raining. Also, if you are wanting to see characters during Star Wars weekend and it starts raining...the "dark side" can be found at Wickets Warehouse which is next to the back lot tour entrance. Of course it was raining when we got there. The line was about 200 people long. There were 4 character stops along the way.

Hopefully it will not rain much during your trip.

disneygeek84
06-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Bring extra shoes! I've worn Teva sandles and they were the best. Comfortable for walking and nice when it rains. Extra socks as well if you're going to be wears tennis shoes. If you bring two pairs that you can wear each day then one pair can dry out while you wear the others. I've done a trip where it rained the whole time and DID NOT bring extra shoes and it was awful! We had to go back in the afternoons for everyone to sit there with a hairdryer and dry their shoes out.

You can make the best of a trip even if it's raining, just so long as you're prepared!

Disney Doll
06-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Also, another good thing about the rain is you can see the Rainy Day Parade at MK. It's really very unique and I enjoy it when it rains! The characters come out in rain gear and are a lot more interactive than the regular 3:00 parade. Guests really love it!

Great tip! For some reason I never knew they did this. You learn something new everyday.

To the OP-
One of our best days last trip was when it rained while we were at MGM. The park was empty and we had free reign. It was great!We always bring ponchos just in case.

brownie
06-27-2008, 03:42 PM
We've never had an all day rain. Usually it will rain for a while then clear up. We've had mostly cloudy days, though. Rain doesn't make much of a difference for us; we still head out to the parks and do what we can. Just make sure you have your emergency rain ponchos with you.

Piglet822
06-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Summertime is our rainy season so bring ponchos and be prepared to use them. It doesn't rain all day so you should have most of the morning and part of the afternoon to enjoy the parks. I agree with previous posters, the parks do seem to empty out a bit (or at least they used to) once the afternoon showers hit.
Usually they move on pretty quickly but the past week or so the clouds have been hanging around. It'll storm for awhile and then it slows down but it's still kind of overcast and damp.
You'll still have fun but it's better to be prepared ahead of time.

disney is supERB
06-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Don't worry, although rain is a frequent occurance at the World, it normally doesn't last for long periods of time. Many rides are also inside so the rain shouldn't affect your trip too much. However, if the rain you experience is particularly torrential, you could always go to Downtown Disney to do some shopping. You could also head down to DisneyQuest for some fun with its all-indoor attractions or catch a movie at the AMC Theaters.:thumbsup:

passholderryan
06-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I love it when it rains. Alot of people leave, making the lines a little shorter. Even better when its cold and rainy in January. Pick up a poncho and bring extra shoes so when you return at night, you'll have dry feet!

AllDisney
06-29-2008, 03:02 PM
On our trip in May we encountered 2 days of rain at the beginning of our vacation.

We bought ponchos at the dollar store before we left home. They were great to have. We also did lots of shows and rides that were under cover. We also spent one day at World Showcase so we spent time going from country to country and avoided getting completely soaked that day:thumbsup: We also bring 2 pairs of shoes so that if we get drenched at the parks one day, we'll have dry, comfy shoes to put on the day after:cloud9:

Hope the rain lets up before you go. Have a great trip.

pixiesmimi
06-29-2008, 03:30 PM
We always go to the Dollar Store and buy the cheap ponchos and I take several in a zippered bag that can be carried in my tote or backpack. Too many people carrying unbrellas through the park can get to be dangerous after a while. We use one poncho to put over the stroller if we have one, when we have to park it outside to keep it dry or if a child is in it to keep them dry. I wear Crocs because the water just runs through them and then they dry. DH had to dry his shoes out every night last trip and mine were always dry because I wore my comfortable flip flops or Crocs.

When we are in MK, we just walk through all the stores one after another because most of them are connected. You can go a long way undercover in the parks because of so many buildings being connected. We usually take that time to shop or see inside shows that we don't think we have time for otherwise. We discovered some wonderful shows this way.

We got caught in a deluge last year and had to stand under the space thingy (forgot name) near Buzz Lightyear for cover until it stopped and it was even pouring under it because the roof was leaking. I felt sorry for all the people who had left strollers out without covers with things in them because they were full of water when they came out. We watched people walking in the lightening and deluge to different rides and scratched our heads as to why they wouldn't wait it out somewhere.:confused:

June and July are two of the rainiest months down in WDW, most of the time, so you are probably going to get rain at least one day you are there. Go to DTD that day and shop. :mickey:

pink
06-29-2008, 05:30 PM
We just tough it out. If it looks like rain when we wake up we just go to Epcot, MK or DHS. We never try AK because basically everything is outside. :mickey:

jrpersinger
06-30-2008, 10:17 AM
The rain this past week was horrible. I don't mind alittle rain, but its not fun when you are being beat by huge raindrops. Even in a poncho! We still went, everyday, in our ponchos. There was very little riding it interferred with. We made sure to ride most of the outdoor stuff early in the day before the major rain hit.

My friend and I bought our pic on Tower of Terror, simply because we were pointing out when our pic was took at the hail! We were more concerned about that then the drop. lol

Oh and the lightening was insane. We were at Blizzard Beach on Sat and I swear it stuck a tree behind us. People were running for cover everywhere and for the first time ever, I actually heard the take cover and stay off the sidewalks message. It was actually kind of scary!

Imagineer1981
07-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I hate ponchos. I usually end up sweating more under them and would rather just get wet

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-01-2008, 07:06 PM
You'd probably be surprised at how many people buy ponchos during the winter to help keep themselves warm. It helps.

pixiesmimi
07-02-2008, 12:09 AM
I heard on the weather tonight that they had really nasty weather down at WDW today. Anyone down there still soggy? :)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-02-2008, 12:20 AM
It wasn't too bad - just severely overcast.

Which is when you can get the worst sunburns. :blush: