PDA

View Full Version : bringing toasters, coffee makers?

momof3+twins
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Is it okay to bring a toaster and coffee maker to Pop. My DM is insisting she needs warm poptarts and her coffee. And there is no walking to the food court in the morning, it is just too far for her.
Thanks for your input.

TammiMcMan
06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
I believe the coffee makers are standard in the rooms, or you can request one through housekeeping. Disney does frown on bringing in outside appliances. I think that has to do with fire safety and their not having control in regards to overload and frayed wiring.

You may want to consider a suite, FW Cabin or DVC studio if you need to do any type of cooking.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-26-2008, 03:46 PM
The last I checked, the values do not have coffee pots...we plan on bringing one with us in December when we stay at Pop...I'll make sure to unplug it everyday to keep things safe

Disneyatic
06-26-2008, 04:20 PM
I read another thread just the other day where the poster was saying that they buy a cheap toaster and bring it with them on their trips and then leave it in their room or throw it away.

We are thinking about doing this also so we can have toast for breakfast sometimes....

I can understand the possible safety concern for outside appliances also though...

momof3+twins
06-26-2008, 04:43 PM
I just called Pop. She said (and she double checked ) that it is totally fine to bring both! She acted like she hadn't heard of the no appliance policy?!?! Although, I do see the safety issues with it. But, we are bringing them with us and going to be careful and unplug everything also. I wouldn't want to be responsible for burning down Disney or hurting anyone.

TammiMcMan
06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I can understand the possible safety concern for outside appliances also though...Yes, I think the rooms that allow cooking are designed differently and have more fire safety features built into them.

I wasn't aware that you couldn't get a coffee maker from housekeeping at the value resorts. They used to be in the rooms, but then I thought they switched over to request only.

For anyone interested, I've always had very good luck e-mailing guest services right from the Disney website. I'm sure they'd be happy to pass along Disney's official policy on outside appliances. Unfortunately, the CM's who generally man the call center are not known for always having reliable information. Considering you could be talking to someone not even in the US, I can understand how that would happen. I always feel much better going right to guest services.

TammiMcMan
06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Although, I do see the safety issues with it. But, we are bringing them with us and going to be careful and unplug everything also. I wouldn't want to be responsible for burning down Disney or hurting anyone.I certainly appreciate when everyone is safety conscious and considerate of their neighbors. We had one of the Christmas trees in our room for the holidays one year and the staff asked us to please unplug the tree lights whenever we left the room.

Appliances is just an area where people have and do go overboard. While you are only bringing a toaster, trust me when I say that other guests see nothing wrong with bringing appliances like a George Foreman grill, crockpots and hot plates. Not too mention the fire hazard, but the rooms are not designed to vent food odors, so they waft right into neighboring rooms.

I thought that Disney had a more clear cut policy, but perhaps they just limit it to an acceptable list of appliances. I'll see what I can find out.

RockChalkKimball
06-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I can certainly imagine that there are people who take advantage of policies, but I cannot imagine bringing my crockpot! However, I don't see how a toaster would be any different than plugging in a curling iron, hot rollers, or a DVD player.

KevMcNJ
06-26-2008, 11:07 PM
We had a coffee maker set up in our room in POP Music last january.

we did not try to hide it and left it on the table all week.

If housekeeping was in our room, they had to see it.

no big thing to the hotel.

Hadnt thought of bringing a toaster.

Its on my list for next Januarys trip now, thx!

disneydeb
06-27-2008, 03:15 AM
During the cooloer months I sometimes bring a hot pot for heating water for instant hot chocolate and instnat coffee.

momof3+twins
06-27-2008, 08:28 AM
About 4 or 5 years ago I saw a family loading up a SUV with every appliance you could think of. I remember laughing at them. I couldn't believe it. I mean, toaster, toaster oven, microwave, fridge, foreman grill. I am sure there was more. I mean, I see a hot plate, toaster or coffee maker. But, come on. I thought it was so funny. They couldn't have had room in their car for the one infant that they had.
We have 5 kids and yeah I want to save money.
But, I also want to eat Disneys food. I couldn't imagine going to Disney and not being able to eat at the food court, or Crystal Palace, Garden Grill, Chef Mickeys......you get the idea.

Oh, and I called the resort directly, so I should have gotten someone in this country, right???!!???? She sounded like she was American. But, now I don't know if you talk to someone at the resort if you call the resort number??!!!???

Disney Lynn
06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
We bring a coffee maker (plus filters, coffee, etc). If we fly, we stop at a Target on the way to POP and buy a cheap one (always under $10). We both drink two cups of coffee in the morning, so we save a considerable amount of money and time by brewing it right in the room. Also, we pack (or buy) cereal, milk, juice, bowls, spoons, etc. Eating breakfast in the room is one of the ways we save money (in addition to staying at the POP rather than the GF! LOL). We use a cooler as a carry-on (packed with our important stuff like tickets & meds, not with milk and ice).

We always unplug the coffee maker when we leave. Plus we bring a short, heavy duty extension cord (some would call it an appliance cord) in case the table is too far from the plug. Housekeeping has never "reported" us for having an appliance; I really don't think that they care (although they might question a barbeque grill LOL). If we're flying home, we leave it in the room (with a note "Free to a good home") or we try to find someone nearby who might use it.

I've never thought about a toaster, but I don't see why they would worry about that either, since it can't be left in the "on" position indefinitely.

So to momof3+twins: bring (or buy) the coffee maker and the toaster. I imagine your mornings will be hectic enough (3+twins) without the walk to the food court! And yes, I'm sure you did actually reach the POP when you called that resort's phone number. I suggest packing a heavy duty power strip. And don't forget the coffee measure and cups.

Flower
06-27-2008, 08:58 AM
We take ours!

I have a little Phillips 2-cup coffee maker which we use to heat water for tea or hot chocolate - once the kids are in bed and DH goes for a run, I am 'stuck' in the room and unable to walk to the food court sometimes.

Our last trip we bought an $8 toaster from Walmart and used it in the room, we unplugged it when we left and stored it on top of the armoire. The main reason we wanted it was because DH was running the marathon and because we had to be up in the middle of the night when the food courts were closed, we really had no choice.

Because we drive from Ontario, we always travel with a plug-in cooler and use it in conjunction with the refrigerator in the mods - never a problem with it either and we leave it plugged in when we leave.

I now store the toaster & coffee maker INSIDE the cooler in the garage so they are always ready to travel!:number1:

momof3+twins
06-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Well, I am glad to see that I am not the only one that wants to or does do this.
And YES we are busy in the mornings Disney or not!LOL!

TammiMcMan
06-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, and I called the resort directly, so I should have gotten someone in this country, right???!!???? She sounded like she was American. But, now I don't know if you talk to someone at the resort if you call the resort number??!!!???Due to very high call volume, you can imagine how many thousands of people call the resort each day, they do utilize a call center. Depending on your question, you could be forwarded to the resort, or guest services. Most of the time though, the person answering the phone will try to answer your question as best they can. Unfortunately, some do make assumptions or pass along things they think they know about a particular resort. In my own experience, I've heard some strange responses from them, that I knew just had to be wrong. That's why I tend to utilize the e-mail address on the Disney website. I seem to get more consistent answers from them.

Sorry to go off topic, but I did want to clarify that.