PDA

View Full Version : Help! POP, OKW, AKL, or POLY?

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Hey everyone,

Hoping to find out your personal opinions on some WDW resorts.

I'm definately planning on a 10 day vacation for next September 2009. I get holidays then and will be taking 10 days. I don't want to stay in more than 1 resort, so this is where I need your valued assistance!

The options I'm considering for a 10 day stay are:

Pop Century Resort - been there before twice; love it.

Old Key West Resort - never been there...are there only villas available? Do they have standard hotel rooms?

Animal Kingdom Lodge - heard great things about it but again, never stayed there.

Polynesian Resort - never been there; have seen it though and it looks great.

Which would you choose?

I realize the costs range from value to deluxe and am willing to spend money on any of them.

Can I get your assistance?

Thanks!!

Chris :hatter:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Since you said you'd be willing to spend the extra $$$$, I'd definitely do the Poly, if it were me.

I love everything about the Poly, from the smell when you walk into the check in area and the water flowing through the check in area to the "aloha!" you get, to the lei, to... heck, I just love the Poly!

You can't beat being right on the monorail line to the MK, and adjacent to the TTC for a quick ride to EPCOT. I even walked from the Poly to the TTC, although most times I did the resort monorail to the TTC then changed monorails.

How many are in your family?
Which parks and activities do you enjoy most?

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Since you said you'd be willing to spend the extra $$$$, I'd definitely do the Poly, if it were me.

I love everything about the Poly, from the smell when you walk into the check in area and the water flowing through the check in area to the "aloha!" you get, to the lei, to... heck, I just love the Poly!

You can't beat being right on the monorail line to the MK, and adjacent to the TTC for a quick ride to EPCOT. I even walked from the Poly to the TTC, although most times I did the resort monorail to the TTC then changed monorails.

How many are in your family?
Which parks and activities do you enjoy most?

This would just be a 2 person trip: myself & my girlfriend. We're both wanting to go to WDW very badly. I've stayed on WDW property (Pop and CBR) before, but I think I want to try a new resort this time. We both love MK and DHS!

ThanxForNoticin
06-26-2008, 12:29 PM
If money is not your only concern, I would recommend either Poly or AKL. Poly is a beautiful place with easy access to MK. AKL has become our favorite resort over the years - it has an amazing theme, a very relaxing feel, and the animals are a huge plus. I would give the AKL pool an edge. Both Poly and AKL have terrific restaurants ('OHana and Boma are our 2 favorites). You have some excellent options and cannot go wrong. Have a great time.

scootch713
06-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Definitely the Poly... it is quite romantic too....

bruin1344
06-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Poly, never stayed there but been there multiple times, its nice and great location to the MK and everyone on this board raves about it

Checkers
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
:mickey:As a DVC member (OKW is our home), I would opt for a studio at OKW. Staying 10 days, you will have the availability of a laundry room to use with no charge other than detergent, and you will have 2 queen-size beds, small kitchenette with microwave, small refrigerator, sink, coffee maker, etc. Plus, the bathroom and general living area is larger.
Bus service from here is good and they have a boat to DTD which we love. There is also, Olivia's, a full service restaurant plus Good's to Go.

No matter where you decide, I know you will have a great time!

SBETigg
06-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I would choose the Poly. I love it there! And the ease of location is an added bonus.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-26-2008, 02:41 PM
So far you have me convinced to try the Poly...I've never been so interested in trying it out as I am right now!

And yes...I do realize this board is "Pro-Poly" ;)

What are the best locations at Poly? I was looking at a map of the resort...do all of the buildings have good views?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-26-2008, 03:43 PM
So far you have me convinced to try the Poly...I've never been so interested in trying it out as I am right now!

And yes...I do realize this board is "Pro-Poly" ;)

What are the best locations at Poly? I was looking at a map of the resort...do all of the buildings have good views?

I'm sure you'll get a lot of great feedback about that too.

You can actually find a lot of info about that
right here at intercot (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/polynesian/default.asp), but here's a snippet:

Which buildings can I enjoy the nightly Luau and hear the drums?
Aotearoa, Fiji & Tuvalu

Which buildings are closer to the monorail depot and restaurants? Tokelau, Aotearoa, Samoa, Rarotonga & Niue

Which buildings are closer to the main pool area and boat dock? Hawaii, Tokelau, Niue, & Samoa

Which buildings is closer to the quiet pool?
Tokelau, Rarotonga, Samoa, Hawaii & Niue

Which buildings are closer to the Transportation & Ticket Center?
Tahiti & Rapa Nui

What long houses offer Lagoon Views?
Hawaii, Aotearoa, Tahiti or Tuvalu

Personally, I've never gotten caught up in the "which longhouse is best" debate/discussion. To me, they're all good for various reasons. I've never had one that looked out your window to the MK, though, man, that would be sweet!!

You really can't go wrong ANYWHERE at the Poly!

Forgot to add:
You can contact any of the folks at Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/default.htm) to assist you with your planning, and they often can save you a good deal of money. Now there's no debate that WENDY is the absolute bestest most magicalest wonderfulest person at MJ, and there are a LOT of good folks there, from what I hear. But still, none can match WENDY! :P

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I've never had one that looked out your window to the MK, though, man, that would be sweet!!!

That would be AMAZING! That's the building I'd want for sure - but its good to know all buildings have their advantages. :mickey:

mel
06-26-2008, 04:39 PM
The poly is the best choice if money is not a concern... its one of the best resorts I ever stayed in.. very convenient ...

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I wish $$ was not an issue with us!! I am jealous! I would pick the Poly or AKL. Poly for the monorail.. AKL for the complete serenity of the atmosphere! We walked in there for a dinner at BOMA last year... after spending Labor Day at AK. Just walking through the doors made us feel relaxed... we didn't want to leave...

Maleficent's Dad
06-26-2008, 09:35 PM
$$$ not an issue? Wow! Good for you! :thumbsup:

Since you're not considering cost... My choices (in order of preference) would be:

1. Poly - Best, best, best transportation out of all the WDW Resorts!!! Great location (next to the TTC) and decent dining options at the resort with excellent choices close by.

2. AKL - I was close to choosing OKW.
The resort has a killer theme - and views of the animals 24/7. They have two very good dining options, and a very good pool. Only problem is transportation and location...

3. OKW - Normally I would have put this second, but AKL wins out by a nose (You could call it a "tie" between the two).
Great, great rooms (Yes - they are all "villas," but the studios are essentially glorified hotel rooms). I love the atmosphere here, I love the larger villas, and I enjoy the location due to golf and DTD. This is a very relaxing resort, to say the least.

4. POP - Okay, I'm not a fan of values... I can say much on that subject, but I'll leave it at that.

Whatever you choose, have a great time and great vacation!!! :mickey:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Thank you so much everyone for your amazing input! My girlfriend wants to now try 'venturing outside the world'...I told her there's nothing to do outside the world! Haha. Well we all know there's "that other so-called amusement park" and last time she was in Florida it was only 1/2 done being made (9 years ago, she said) and she wants to try it. I've never ventured outside the world and am scared to, haha. She also said shes never stayed in Florida for less than 2 weeks..which is more than I was intending to stay - so if we do the whole 2 weeks trip, it'll likely be 1 week in Disney and 1 week outside of it. Im guessing cause it's more expensive than originally thought we'll do either Pop or maybe try a moderate resort. HOWEVER she did say she wants to do the Poly some time soon as well...which is AWESOME NEWS!

Crow
06-29-2008, 12:33 PM
split your stay; save some $ by stayin at POP a few days then 1 or 2 others. thats what i do & why ive been able to try so many places.
I like POP
havent tried OKW or Poly but wouldnt mind.
AKL....nice but had bad views & its further from the parks

disneydad04
06-29-2008, 01:28 PM
We have stayed at the POly and it is great esp if you are going to spend alot of time at the MK.

AKL is nice and bus service is good but we think a little to far away from everyting.

POP is our favorite and we stay there several times a year. Food court is nice and it is close to everything.

Did not really care for OKW, just something about it that wasn't right for us.

KineGirl
06-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your amazing input! My girlfriend wants to now try 'venturing outside the world'...I told her there's nothing to do outside the world! Haha. Well we all know there's "that other so-called amusement park" and last time she was in Florida it was only 1/2 done being made (9 years ago, she said) and she wants to try it. I've never ventured outside the world and am scared to, haha. She also said shes never stayed in Florida for less than 2 weeks..which is more than I was intending to stay - so if we do the whole 2 weeks trip, it'll likely be 1 week in Disney and 1 week outside of it. Im guessing cause it's more expensive than originally thought we'll do either Pop or maybe try a moderate resort. HOWEVER she did say she wants to do the Poly some time soon as well...which is AWESOME NEWS!

Ya but was she paying for those 2 weeks? Must be nice to take 2 week vacations. LOL I dont mean it sarcastically either - it really must be nice! :cloud9: My hubbys work would never let us get away longer than 6 days max.

You mean theres other things to do in Orlando?? :confused: hehe

I recently was asking about values and got alot of good feed back about Pop - enough so that as a person whos only done DVC, I was actually pretty excited about trying out Pop... Check it out! It sounds like they do alot of neat stuff there, have great theming, a great arcade, fun CMs, HUGE pools, etc..

Chairman Mallard
06-29-2008, 02:09 PM
If you only have time to spend 4 days at WDW so you won't be spending too much time at your hotel compared to being at all of the parks, is upgrading from POFQ to either AKL or Poly worth the extra $$$?

Is the transportation worth the extra $$$ to stay at Poly, because it is on the Monorail track?

Never been to WDW before, just Disneyland.

Cinderelley
06-30-2008, 11:59 AM
If you only have time to spend 4 days at WDW so you won't be spending too much time at your hotel compared to being at all of the parks, is upgrading from POFQ to either AKL or Poly worth the extra $$$?

Is the transportation worth the extra $$$ to stay at Poly, because it is on the Monorail track?

Never been to WDW before, just Disneyland.

I grew up going to Disneyland, and I think it makes the perspective on Disneyworld a little different. When I heard "stay at the Poly and you can see the castle", I got all excited, but you only get to see the very top portion of the castle. There's a huge lake between the Poly and Magic Kingdom with an island in the middle of the lake. It's not like Disneyland where you can park and walk right up to the park.

Personally, I wasn't too impressed with being able to ride the monorail to the park. I know it's just my perception, but I get more frustrated with all the stops on the monorail to get to the park than I do with just hopping on a bus that goes straight there. The same is true of going to Epcot on the monorail. You have to get on the resort monorail, then get off of that and get onto the Epcot monorail. It's just not my cup of tea. I've been spoiled by having everything within walking distance at Disneyland. ;)

Unless you're accustomed to having certain amenities in your hotel rooms, I would go with a room at a Value Resort if you'll be doing the parks commando style. I love Pop Century. In fact, I'm finding myself torn for our next trip. I had originally planned on staying at AKL, but I stayed at CBR on my last trip and found myself missing Pop Century. I might just split my stay with one week at Pop and one week at AKL.

You'll love WDW. It's a whole different "world" than Disneyland.

Chairman Mallard
06-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info.

4 days probably isn't enough time to do everything, but we can't leave until 12/17/09, and we have to be in Ft.Lauderdale to board our cruise ship on 12/22/09, so we have to make it work.

Cinderelley
06-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the info.

4 days probably isn't enough time to do everything, but we can't leave until 12/17/09, and we have to be in Ft.Lauderdale to board our cruise ship on 12/22/09, so we have to make it work.

It's not enough time, but you'll still enjoy every minute of it. Have a great trip and cruise!!!