PDA

View Full Version : Brown Derby or Hollywood Vine

Belster
06-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I have chosen some really great places for my family and I to eat during our next stay at Disney World. I originally chose Brown Derby because I get Fantasmic tickets with my reservation, but now I find out you can also get those tickets if you eat at Hollywood Vine. I would love to save DDP points by eating at Hollywood Vine but I am unsure if it would be worth the switch. Any feedback would be wonderful!:mickey:

disneydeb
06-25-2008, 10:30 PM
:party:Welcome to Intercot!:party:

and
Personally, I don't care for Hollywood and Vine, for one dining credit, I prefer Mama Melroses.

mrsgaribaldi
06-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I liked Hollywood & Vine. I thought they had some delicious food. DH said he had his best meal, ever, at The Brown Derby. My meal was good. I would go with Hollywood & Vine again:mickey: I like a buffet.:thumbsup:

RALPH
06-26-2008, 06:59 AM
We ate at H&V the last three trips. The family finally asked that we skip it due to not enjoying the food. They would rather wait in the line. I had to agree, I thought it was only me.

We have never eaten at the Brown Derby, so I cannot comment, but I would skip H&V. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Part of the reason for our disappointment is we have been spoiled by the buffets at Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace. H&V is way below those two.

Maleficent's Dad
06-26-2008, 07:07 AM
I can't comment on the use of credits for the DDP - we don't use it, so that's your personal choice whether or not to burn two credits at the HBD.

However, in comparing the restaurants... there really is no comparison whatsoever.

The Brown Derby is a fine eating establishment. The service is impeccable and the food is outstanding. Although we love trying new places in WDW for each trip, the Hollywood Brown Derby is the one so-called "must do" for us every time.

As for H&V...
I know that there are many fans of the place here on the boards, but this place - to me at least - is really mediocre (at best). It's a buffet meal (vs sit-down service at HBD) and we've never found the quality to be very good. Admittedly, I haven't been there in the past few years (except for the character b'fast).

So if you're asking for opinions - the Brown Derby wins HANDS DOWN. But you are on the DDP and the BD does require an extra credit... So you have a decision to make.
I'm no DDP expert - in fact I've never used the thing - but most who do use it say that the HBD is not worth two credits, it's better to pay out of pocket.

Good luck with the decision! :mickey:

Oh - and by the way...

Welcome to Intercot!!!
:yay: :woohoo: :yay:
(I bet you're gonna like it here!)

Disnamic Duo
06-26-2008, 09:04 AM
We've eaten at both. HBD is my favorite restaurant in WDW. The best meal I've ever eaten was there last year. As far as a buffet goes, we think H&V is pretty good. We've only eaten there once, but we liked it, and we're going back again later this year.

If you want to save the credit and have a good meal, go to H&V. If you want a fantastic meal, go to HBD. Like a poster above said, it might be best to pay OOP at HBD. We don't use the DDP either, but I'd hate buring 2 credits for ANY meal.

Mickey'sGirl
06-26-2008, 09:07 AM
We've eaten at both. HBD is my favorite restaurant in WDW. The best meal I've ever eaten was there last year. As far as a buffet goes, we think H&V is pretty good. We've only eaten there once, but we liked it, and we're going back again later this year.

If you want to save the credit and have a good meal, go to H&V. If you want a fantastic meal, go to HBD.
Exactly what I was going to say. The Brown Derby is phenomenal....but we all (me, DH, DS10 and DS4) all really enjoyed the fresh, hot and plentiful offerings at Hollywood and Vine.

Lightnin McQueen
06-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi and :welcome: to Intercot.

We ate at HBD during our last trip to the world. There's no denying the food is excellent but after a long, hot day in the parks, we kinda felt a little under dressed for such a fine eatery. If we wold have gone back to AKL, freshened up and changed for dinner then this would have been perfect.

This year we're giving H&V a go as we've heard here on the boards that the food is good (check out the menu's and pics on info central but make sure you've eaten before because you're mouth will be watering and you'll short circuit your PC !! :tasty:.). We also like the idea of a buffet style meal as it'll be a little less formal.

Enjoy your chosen venue and let us know how it goes.

Lightnin :hi:

Kairi_7378
06-26-2008, 02:19 PM
We enjoyed our meal at the Brown Derby very much. DH and I both carried nice polo shirts in my backpack and we wore nice shorts to the park that day. We changed in the rest room before we were seated for dinner. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is wonderful.