PDA

View Full Version : Passport Renewal/Name Change Questions

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-25-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm needing to renew and change the name on my passport. It expired in 2004. I looked online at U.S. Department of State website. It stated that I can renew by mail and need to mail a certified copy of the marriage license. It's $75 to renew by mail (if I need a copy of the marriage license that will cost me at least another $12) or if I renew in person $100.

So my questions are - If I renew by mail do they send back my marriage license or do I need to get a copy? or Would it be better to pay the $25 execution fee and do it in person?

Thanks for any suggestions or info!

Tick-Tock
06-25-2008, 06:08 PM
They should send it back to you (they sent back my DH's birth certificate when he had to send it in to prove that they made a mistake on his existing passport). But there's always a chance it will get lost. How would you feel if you didn't get it back? I'd probably get the certified copy and not send the original.

MauiMouse
06-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Send in the original because they probably won't accept a copy. They took both my birth certificate and my adoption papers when I sent in my passport. I was nervous as they had them for at least 6-8 weeks, but they both came back with no problems.

DisneyLuvRSince76
06-25-2008, 07:15 PM
They should send the marriage license back to you.

I just renewed by mail a couple of weeks ago with a name change. I had already changed my name once after we were married to a hyphenated last name - this time, I was changing it to just my married name.

They sent my name change decree (court order) back to me, along with my expired passport. I expedited my renewal and received it in 6 or 7 days.

One other note - I received my new passport in one mailing and my expired passport & name change document were sent separately - so keep this in mind if you get your passport but not your documents.

Good luck -

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks for all the info!

I'm going to Mexico in January and with now having to have a passport to go to Mexico I'm finally renewing it. I just wanted some input before doing anything.

JanetMegan
06-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Since it's a renewal too at least they will actually change your name. Mine still has my old married name and they just made a note about the name change on the back page-gives me trouble everytime I travel since the name doesn't match all my travel documents.