PDA

View Full Version : Interesting problem

TinyDancer
06-24-2008, 02:12 PM
The fact I have an interesting problem does not, I am sure, come as any great surprise. But maybe I can get some advice.

I work at a school (receptionist) and we've just gotten into summer school. Most of the districts won't transport the kids without an IEP specifically stating that ESY is necessary. Consequently, we have to pick them up. We have a driver and an intern who do this, two routes, two drivers. The problem is when one of them is unable to do it, the rest of the staff has to be back up. We each have a certain day for a certain route. My problem is that I have such anxiety, I can't do it. I mean I just can't. I didn't drive until I was almost 18 because of my anxiety and now I'm supposed to drive a 15-person van?! I've been diagnosed with all these anxiety issues, not just about driving but about life in general. My boss doesn't get it that it isn't that I don't want to, I just CANNOT do it. And thus I won't. I won't risk getting into an accident, not just with myself but with the kids as well. So I keep telling him that I can't do it and explaining it, even going so far as to tell him that I will get a letter from my psychologist and/or psychiatrist (who I see for anxiety issues already) stating that I'm not capable. So he said fine, but if it was my day to do backup and someone didn't show, I basically have to beg my coworkers to do it. And no one wants to, its at least an hour round trip. I don't think that's fair. I can have a doctor saying that I can't do it, I think I should be taken off the backup schedule! Not to mention that driving is not my job and I do enough ridiculous stuff to keep this school running that I don't need another duty. I've done all I can with this boss, but do I have any options? Any rights? It is driving me crazy and causing me a ton of anxiety about my anxiety!!!

Thanks, I'm sorry that was so long and probably garbled.:(

MsMin
06-24-2008, 02:48 PM
I can't say where the line falls with limitations but if it were medical, say you couldn't lift a kid or other ADA limitations they have to make the accommodations. I know with these you can not be fired if they have been given notice. Your psychologist should know the laws in your state.
Sorry to criticize him but personally I wouldn't want someone who was as anxious as you describe to drive a bunch of kids in my van. Not only is it unfair to you but it's too easy to become distracted and over stressed with kids who many can learn quick that you are uncomfortable and take advantage of the situation. He should be thinking of the children's safety as well and thank you for being so honest. Everyone and I mean everyone has some limitations. Sounds like his is a lack of empathy.
I respect you for your honesty and efforts to handle this situation professionally. Good luck with it. Too bad he doesn't have a good lawyer who can make him realize the risks he may be taking.... :pixie:

tinkerbellybutton
06-24-2008, 02:56 PM
I applaud your honesty to your boss. DS has attended ESY every year since first grade (untill this year) I don't know about there but here the ESY is strictly for children that need consistencey, emotional disorders etc. (DS has aspergers) Having that responsibility should not be put off onto people whom did not apply for that job. No offense, I think there is a problem with a school system that transports special needs children using unqualified staff.
Don't take that the wrong way. What I mean is that the drivers who have transported Keith all had special training, even in the small vehicles such as vans. They had all been trained as "bus" drivers and also had training with special needs kids. I developed a relationship with the drivers for my son and I was comfortable with that and if my school department would just put anyone behind the wheel, especially someone who feels they can't do it I would be livid! I am the same way, I have serious anxiety but I also actually have a fear of cars and can't imagine a school system putting someone like me behind the wheel with children. I hope this isn't coming out wrong. I think them forcing people to do that job is wrong for the kids and the driver. Good for you for standing up for that. As I said, I hope none of this came out wrong. :blush:

MMouse6937
06-24-2008, 03:47 PM
I agree with everyone that you shouldn't have to transport, even if it was just because you didn't want to. That's a lot of responsibility and even people without anxiety might not want to be responsible for that type of thing. Just because you can drive a car doesn't mean you can or should drive a bus. I think you should tell your boss you want to be taken off the back up list and go from there. Good luck to you!

sisterdisco
06-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Isn't the workplace great? (not)

Check w/ the DOT (department of transportation). I am not sure---but you might have to have a CDL (commercial driver's license) or some other special type license to operate a "livery" van--meaning transporting people.

If that is the case, then you can point that out.

I would think that your workplace would be concerned w/ insurance and liability w/ having non-professional drivers transporting the kids.....

Good Luck.

Georgesgirl1
06-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow I can't believe that a school is making people drive kids. Is this a private or a public school? I worked at a private day care at one time that was the pits, but even they required us to pass a special driving "test" with one of their current drivers to drive the 15 passenger vans! And they wouldn't have considered making you drive if you were uncomfortable with the idea!
I think you did the right thing by explaining your concerns to your boss. If he still wants you to drive the kids knowing your anxieties then he obviously does not have the kids' best interest at heart! Is there anyone higher up you can go to? If it wasn't/isn't in your job description, it doesn't seem like you could be fired or reprimanded for not doing it especially with the concerns that you have raised.

Good luck and I hope it all works out...

Kristin

tinkerbellybutton
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Isn't the workplace great? (not)

Check w/ the DOT (department of transportation). I am not sure---but you might have to have a CDL (commercial driver's license) or some other special type license to operate a "livery" van--meaning transporting people.

That's a very good idea.
I also talked to Bruce about it and he said around here in order to drive children for work, even if it's not a bus, you have to be certified in CPR and basic first aid. So if you don't meet that requirement it may also be a way to stop your boss from bullying you into it. Let us know if you find anything out.

azdisneymom
06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
If your boss is not supporting you in your request not to drive you might want to check your Meet and Confer documents to see what your next step should be. Dr's note might be helpful to get off the rotation. Best wishes.

pink
06-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Bring in the letter and make many copies of it to keep for your own files. Give your boss the letter and remind him again that you can not drive on any circumstances. If you have meetings, bring it up at the end of the meeting one day just to let everyone know you're not even available for back up. Don't worry about driving, it wasn't in your job description to start with and if you can't do it then you can't do it. Don't stress and everything will be ok! :mickey:

katzctkpt
06-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Bring in the letter and make many copies of it to keep for your own files. Give your boss the letter and remind him again that you can not drive on any circumstances. If you have meetings, bring it up at the end of the meeting one day just to let everyone know you're not even available for back up. Don't worry about driving, it wasn't in your job description to start with and if you can't do it then you can't do it. Don't stress and everything will be ok! :mickey:

:ditto: also what about talking with the superintendent of the school system?

TinyDancer
06-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, we're actually .... I'm not sure what we are, lol. A CHRISTIAN (funny, huh?) alternative education organization, my part specifically is a day treatment program for kids with behavior problems (everything from truancy to assualting staff to depression to bi-polar, lol. I love these kids!!!!). So we're a private school, I guess. I've worked here almost a year and I'm still not exactly positive! Anyway, my boss's boss thinks my boss is the best thing to happen to this program ever. However, after I wrote the OP yesterday afternoon, I waited until my boss fell asleep and then left. There are so many problems here with this company, lol. But as far as this issue goes, I'm going to talk to his boss about it and then talk to our HR person. I'm expecting a backlash, though, because when the last person left she didn't have very nice things to say in her exit interview and instead of looking into them, all my boss's boss could do was badmouth her, lol. Being on the wrong side of these guys is no fun. But I'm determined to stand up for myself on this issue becuase it just isn't right to force someone to do something they aren't comfortable, especially when kids come into play! Worse comes to worse I'll pull out the ADA because I have been diagnosed with enough stuff to make it work. I'm not usually this stubborn about stuff, but it makes me really mad when people blow off my anxiety and whatnot. Oh yeah, the best part of this all is that we're supposed to be working with these kids on their mental health issues, be understanding, etc. WHERE IS THAT CHRISTIAN, THERAPUTIC SPIRIT THAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE?!?!?!? Lol, its so ridiculous I just have to laugh. Everytime I tell someone in the "system" (CYF, JPO, wraparound servies, etc.), they tell me how much they dislike my boss and how can I stand to work there with him. But the kids do make it all worthwhile, as do my other co-workers!

Thank you for your input. Its one of those I know I'm right in my feelings about this, but I am glad to see people agree with me, lol!!!

322 days until Disney!!!!!!!