PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the GF spa!

Guya103
06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
My family and I are going to WDW in August and my Mom is thinking about visitng the GF spa. She is wondering a few different things- Do you think it is worth while? What do you usually have done? and What is your favorite massage? Thanks!:mickey:

SurferStitch
06-23-2008, 09:38 PM
DH and I love the GF Spa.

I always get a facial....they are wonderful! My favorite is the Grand Floridian Deluxe Facial. Totally relaxing, and the included hand and foot massages are a perfect touch to compliment the facial. The European Aromatherapy Facial is also excellent.

DH loves the 80 minute Swedish massage (they also have 50 minute). I love this, too, but to do both the facial and the massage would take almost 3 hours, and I don't want to spend too much time there. Besides, we get a 10% discount on one treatment per day with our AP, so if I wanted to do a couple things, I would break it up on different days.

The soaks are a great prelude to a massage. DH usually does one of them.

I've done the salt scrub once, and that was very nice. My skin felt silky smooth afterward.

We will be visiting the GF Spa in October, and I can't wait!!!

You can view more info here (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/resortsSpaOfferings?id=GrandFloridianResortSpaOffe ringsPage).

TammiMcMan
06-23-2008, 10:32 PM
The European Aromatherapy Facial is also excellent.That's my favorite. For some reason, I find facials more relaxing than massages. I must carry most of my tension from the neck up ;).

The GF Spa is set up very nicely and it's relaxing. That being said, I definitely want to try the new Mandara Spa at the Swan/Dolphin resort. It looks absolutely incredible and if you mention INTERCOT, it's a 20% discount.

http://www.mandaraspa.com

big blue and hairy
06-24-2008, 12:41 PM
The GF Spa is set up very nicely and it's relaxing. That being said, I definitely want to try the new Mandara Spa at the Swan/Dolphin resort. It looks absolutely incredible and if you mention INTERCOT, it's a 20% discount.

http://www.mandaraspa.com

DW loved the Grand Floridian Spa, but she likes Mandara Spa, even better! The prices are comparable.

:sulley:

Tick-Tock
06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I was very disappointed in the GF spa, especially considering the prices. I've had much nicer, more relaxing experiences at nice spas here in Colorado.

I had a wrap and massage - but my therapist left me alone for the wrap and my back started aching, with no relief for quite awhile until she finally came back. The treatment room was right on the hallway to the locker room and not well soundproofed, so I got to hear several conversations during the course of my treatment.

I also did not like the locker room and lounge setup. There were not enough chairs and several women had to stand around waiting for their treatments.

I won't return to GF spa; instead I want to try Mandara or the Saratoga Springs Spa.

Tink's Mom
06-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I also was disappointed. I feel that they were WAY overpriced for the quality of the experience that I received. Tick-Tock makes a valid point on the lounge area, poor design plans. GF is still one of my favorites, just not the spa.

SurferStitch
06-24-2008, 03:15 PM
I have to say, I found the lounge at the GF Spa to be quite nice and relaxing. There were several of us there, and there was plenty of seating for the 4 of us waiting for our treatments on my last visit. I only had to wait 2 or 3 minutes for mine, so I wasn't there long at all. They seem to time things very well to keep the crowd down. In the couple minutes I waited last time, at least 2 or three others were called for their treatments. We always go in the morning (around 8:30 - 10:00 am).

The locker area is off of the waiting area. There is a separate bathroom/shower area, too.

The room where I always get my facial is on a main hallway, and I've never noticed any noise at all from there. I just hear that soothing spa music. :cloud9: I asked DH if he ever noticed any noise during his massages, and he said "no". He said he's too relaxed to notice anything at all, really. ;)

Okay, I have to book our treatments now! Can't wait anymore!

Tick-Tock
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
I have to say, I found the lounge at the GF Spa to be quite nice and relaxing. There were several of us there, and there was plenty of seating for the 4 of us waiting for our treatments on my last visit. I only had to wait 2 or 3 minutes for mine, so I wasn't there long at all. They seem to time things very well to keep the crowd down. In the couple minutes I waited last time, at least 2 or three others were called for their treatments. We always go in the morning (around 8:30 - 10:00 am).

The locker area is off of the waiting area. There is a separate bathroom/shower area, too.

I was there about noon on a Saturday, so maybe it's a busier time. As I recall, there were about 6 or 8 seats (all filled), but there were at least four women standing as well. And more women were coming in, while few were being taken for appointments. I was there at least 10 minutes (I was early, I'm not saying they were late) so I got to see it get more and more crowded.

The locker room and bathroom area sort of contributed to my disappointment. They are right off of the lounge, and there was a woman with very long, thick hair continously running a hair dryer for almost the whole time I was waiting. Again, not very relaxing. (My regular spa at home has a low-lit, spacious lounge probably twice the size of the GF's, and the locker area is separated from the lounge by a door, hallway and the area containing the sauna and steam room. So you never hear hair dryers, etc. while you're in the lounge.)

I know many people on these boards have enjoyed their treatments. I just expected more from WDW's flagship property.

TammiMcMan
06-24-2008, 07:39 PM
I just expected more from WDW's flagship property.I don't know the exact history around the spa. It's not staffed by WDW personnel, but instead owned and operated by Niki Bryan. Personally, I'd like to see a slightly different design, where the waiting area is more private. One thing that I really do enjoy though, is that the womens area has their own hot tub, steam room and sauna. That area is super private and I've always felt very comfortable relaxing in there before my treatments.