PDA

View Full Version : The Best Summer Ever Trip Report! Day 5

BriarRose0708
06-22-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm back! My grandmother is doing fine, she is still in the hospital but the surgery went extremely well and for an 80 year old who smoked for more than 60 years of her life, skipped the ICU entirely and is recovering in a normal room. I hope it's all from good genes.

Anyway, back to my trip report! This was a long day in Hollywood Studios for us, but it was also a lot of fun. We took the 8:15 a.m. bus and timed everything related to entering the park just right to get at the very front of the rope! Since it was Star Wars Weekend most people took the first left to get a Fastpass for the meet and greet later in the day. We weren't overwhelmed with the actors this weekend so we didn't bother. We like Star Wars and will watch the movies when they are on, but we aren't nuts about it (but there's nothing wrong with that if you are! Ask me about my Harry Potter and Twilight enthusiasm). We didn't even really notice the Star Wars stuff that much and we stayed away from the Star Tours area of the park. It really wasn't as crowded as we thought it was going to be.

Once the rope was dropped we went straight to Toy Story Mania and walked on. Since we couldn't find it last time, we made sure to do this twice this day. This ride will blow your mind! It is so much fun and about 1,000 times better than Buzz Lightyear! My score is about 100,000 times better than on Buzz, too! We got a fastpass for another ride later and walked back to Rock 'n Rollercoaster. The coaster wasn't open yet and we weren't going to stand in line, so we went to Tower of Terror and walked on. We found that going straight instead of to the right in the boiler room was faster. We were on sooner every time by going that way. The drops were short and jerky this time, definately not as good as our first ride Wednesday.

After ToT we stopped for a small breakfast at Starring Rools. There was still a bit of time before our fastpasses for Midway Mania so we took a tour into the cinema on Great Movie Ride. We got the Western scene this time, which was a first for me! I like it better than the gangster. We took another turn on Toy Story through the fastpass line (which isn't as fun to look at) and this time I broke 100,000! Of course, the high score that day was already over 200,000 but when I can barely crack 30,000 on Buzz, I was pretty proud.

One of the goals for the day was to see as many shows as possible. We had already done Indiana Jones Wednesday, so we queued up for Lights, Motors, Action! If there's one thing I love in a movie, it's a good car chase, so I was excited for this. There was even a little fender bender toward the end of the ballet chace scene and they stopped the show for about 10 minutes to change cars. It was really cool to learn how all the stunts and chase scenes are filmed.

Show #2 on the list was Beauty and the Beast. First we got fastpasses for Rock 'n Rollercoaster, and checked in again to the Hollywood Towere Hotel. We got good seats for Beauty and the Beast, but the show was a little lack luster. The singers were very good (the ones who weren't dubbed at least) but all the Beast did was growl incoherently and lope around the stage. I had to keep myself from laughing a few times. I guess it does the trick for a park show anyway. We hadn't eaten lunch yet so we grabbed a pretzel and some water at the Dockside and found a shady spot. It was pretty hot this day, but not too humid, though we tried to stay hydrated as much as possible.

Next on our checklist was Block Party Bash. It was about 2:30 p.m. and we grabbed a spot on the corner of Sunset. Kim's favorite part about Hollywood Studios is the Street Performers, and last time she was there she fell in love with Bucky Greenhorn. All she did was talk about how much she loved Bucky. So, as we were looking for a good Party spot, who did she see from 50 feet away but Bucky! She literally ran up to him but he was in the middle of a song so we waited and then cheered at the end. He came over to see who was stalking him and Kim told him how she was his biggest fan, and then he sang a song for us about Upstate NY and Vera Bradley bags. Hilarious! Kim has the video, I hope she e-mails it to me soon so I can share it with all of you.

So, the Block Party Bash was very fun! Lots of energy, bright costumes, rollerbladers, characters, people on stilts and rollerblades and trampolines, fun songs... it was great! Luckily we were the first party stop, so after it was all over we turned around and got ready to Rock. And Roll. Ercoaster. This ride is fun, but too short and has the most frustrating queue ever. But, we had a good time anyway and made it to the concert on time. We walked to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground for some fun photo ops, and just missed meeting Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable (darn! The guy playing Ron was hot).

There wasn't much left to do, so we hit up show #3, Voyage of the Little Mermaid. And oh, how I wish we hadn't! This is my favorite Disney movie, but this show was terrible. How can you do a Little Mermaid anything, and not have Kiss the Girl in it? Either they need to update it, or get rid of it and put in Enchanted the Sing-A-Long or something. Well, you can't win them all. We browsed around some of the shops on Hollywood and Sunset, but got tired of seeing the same old stuff in every shop. We thought there would at least be some different movie stuff here.

We checked in to Sci Fi for dinner around 5:50 and were seated waaaaaay in the back, bit still in a car and not at a table. We split spinach and artichoke dip and both got cherry cokes, burgers and fries. I do wish there were more clips or newer ones because I think I could list every movie by heart. But, we love this place for the atmosphere, and it didn't disappoint.

We had been going all day and were very tired, so we called it an early evening and went back to Pop around 7 p.m. We grabbed our books and went to relax by the pool and got some ice cream. It had been a long day, but we got a lot done with it being SWW and all. The next day we were looking forward to sleeping in again, since the plan was to get to Animal Kingdom for the afternoon. Thanks for reading!

pogo
06-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks for sharing this during all your worries about your Grandmother. I'm glad she made out well.

It sounds like another great day. :D

DizNee143
06-23-2008, 10:46 AM
sounds like a great day at mgm (ya i know the name changed but im not calling it DHS!..lol) :mickey:

pdrlkr
06-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
:mickey:I'm so glad to hear your Grandmother is better!! Thanks for sharing this fine day with us!:mickey:

tinkerbell04
06-25-2008, 04:04 PM
I am glad that your Grandmother is doing well. Sounds like you really had a great day at DHS!

faline
06-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Wonderful day at the Studios!

It's good to hear your grandmother is doing well!

MauiMouse
06-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a fun day at the Studios. :mickey:

Also glad to hear that your Grandmother is going good. :thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
06-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I am so glad that your grandma is doing well, Nikki. I hope that continues. Sounds like another fun and busy day for you two. Ending the day reading by the pool would be a nice ending to a long day.:mickey:

Bethanymouse
07-03-2008, 01:28 AM
It sounds like a good day again. We cant wait to try the new Toy Story ride. It sounds like so much fun. By the sound of it we may have to try Block Party Bash too! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

Lizzie
07-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks for sharing another great trip report.

HndrdPrcnt
07-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I can't wait to try TSM!! I am glad that your grandmother is doing well. Your trip is sounding like such a great time and I am happy for you. Your report is making me long for my trip more and more!

Kisobel
07-26-2008, 04:11 AM
glad to hear the good news about your grandmother. i just want to say that your writing style makes me feel like i'm there. keep up the good work.

kate

VolMickey
07-26-2008, 08:22 AM
thanks!:mickey:

#1disneyfan
07-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Glad your grandmother is doing well.

Thanks for sharing your day. You got a lot accomplished at DHS! I still have never seen the western scene at GMR! Maybe during our upcoming trip!

laward32
07-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the report. Looks like another great day at Disney.:mickey:

Young@Heart
07-27-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm very glad to read that your grandmother is doing well.

It sounds like you had a wonderful day at DHS! Can't wait to read more. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
07-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Midway Mania sounds soo good! I'm hoping we get to do it in August!

Mackflava99
07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Excellent Report- thanks for sharing-
We like Sci Fi too- but once we got th dreaded table in the back- yuck

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-28-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the report