PDA

View Full Version : Too Late For A Birthday?

tinkerbelle75
06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
WE were originally going to arrive July 16th at WDW. My daughter's 8th birthday is on July 17th. We just found out that my hubby has to be there for a conference on July 25th so we decided it would be too costly and too much driving to take 2 trips in a month. Is this too late after her birthday to get a birthday pin/ cake/ etc? I don't want to seem like I am trying to take advantage of the 'system' or to be untruthful, but this was her " birthday trip". Anybody have any thoughts on this???
Thanks!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-22-2008, 02:17 PM
We are planning a trip in September... and will be celebrating my daughter's birthdya which is not until October. From what I understand... it does not matter. We are actually celebrating 3 birthdays that trip on different days... because the trip is our gifts to both girls (birthdays in October and January) and a gift to my Mom who will have jut had a birthday in August.

Strmchsr
06-22-2008, 05:03 PM
If you're within a week or two, and just pick one day, no big deal. Once you get beyond that you're stretching the system. The point is to celebrate your birthday at your birthday (or close enough as in you daughter's case). Once you get beyond that couple of week's point then I could just get a birthday pin whenever. I mean, if my birthday were in April and I'm going in October - no, that's not really okay. No, they don't check birth certificates, but that is attempting to defeat the system which is not a good thing. But for your daughter, I think you're okay.

Now, if you're going as a "birthday present to yourself" and you're not trying to do all of the WDW birthday stuff - just your own private celebration, then it's fine whenever.

sisterdisco
06-22-2008, 06:12 PM
In my opinion--it is very appropriate to celebrate your daughter's birthday--same as you would if you had a birthday party at home on a day that was not her actual birthdate.

Decide what day you want to celebrate, make your plans and have a great time !! :party:
No need to say "well it was actually last week".

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
06-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Yep, sorry, but we only can afford one trip to Disney a year. And if we are going to "celebrate" one daughter's birthday... we are going to "celebrate" both. (It would not be fair to only celebrate the one who is born in October... just because we need to take advantage of the free dining in September!.. Our January daughter would miss out.) They each get one day to wear a pin and have a celebratory dinner with their favorite characters. And that is their day. We do this trip in lieu of any big birthday parties... So as far as we are concerned... That is "their" day ... I am not trying to defeat any Disney system... I am trying to make my daughter's birthdays as happy and as memorable as possible.

#1disneyfan
06-22-2008, 10:33 PM
We got our DD a birthday button when we were there in June. Her birthday is actually in January, but we will never get there for her actually birthday. I did not feel that we were cheating any system. She got no special treatment, nor were we looking for any. The only thing she received other than her honorary button, was a "happy birthday" from some cast members and guests.

I feel that if you are unable to visit on the actual birthday and this is part of a gift to your child, it shouldn't matter when the actual birthday is.

I know some intercotees may not agree with me, in fact i may take a lot of heat for it, but it is just my honest feeling on the matter. Of course, I am not the type of person who looks for a way to take advantage of a situation or get as much as possible for free. My DD was just thrilled to have people telling her happy birthday all day. She took it off when we ate at Crystal Palace as she did not want special treatment.

tinkerbelle75
06-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks, guys for all the feedback. I don't know about six months before/ after a birthday to celebrate (since I already feel guilty about a week) but thanks for easing my mind . My baby girl will be so happy!

ThanxForNoticin
06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Do not even HESITATE to celebrate her birthday while you are there. It's a special time that she'll enjoy and remember. Keep in mind, this is Disney - aren't they the ones who celebrate 364 UNbirthdays each year???? Make it a trip for her to remember.