PDA

View Full Version : NYC - non touristy

ryca1dreams
06-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey Intercot!
I'm headed to NYC for a business trip. In my off time I wanted to do some sight-seeing. I've seen most of the touristy stuff, so I wanted to see the more historical, "off-the-beaten-path" things -particularly colonial era or 19th century sites. Whatever may be left, I'd like to see it.

If anyone can give me ideas, suggestions, building names, street corners, grid coordinates, etc., I will read up on it and go. Thanks.

BronxTigger
06-22-2008, 11:36 AM
There is Poe Cottage in the Bronx...where Edgar Allan Poe lived for a while. I'm not sure what they have to do, but it's in a park near Fordham Road and the Grand Concourse.

There is the NY Botanical Gardens...not really colonial but they are nice. Grounds admission is free on Wednesdays and from 10-12 on Saturdays. They close at 5 or so. This is near Southern Blvd and Fordham in the Bronx (just north of the Zoo).

There is Wave Hill, also in the Bronx. It's somewhere in Riverdale; it's also like gardens.

There is Governors Island. There is a free ferry on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. There will be some events. The ferry leaves from lower Manhattan. Google it for more information- it used to be a military base of some sort.

There is the Lower East Side Tenement Museum in (surprise) the Lower East side, near Delancey and Orchard St. This museum can only be seen by guided tour, but it is interesting and there are a few different tours available. Not quite colonial, but early 20th century.

There's also the Francis Tavern (I think I'm spelling it wrong) but it's in Lower Manhattan and it's from Revolutionary War times I think. Again, make Google work for you.

Hope this helps... I know there's a LOT more but I am drawing a blank.

ElenitaB
06-22-2008, 01:51 PM
To Bethany's list, I'd add Ellis Island. A lot of people go to the Statue of Liberty but Ellis Island is excellent (I recommend the audio tour).

Fraunces Tavern which dates from 1762 has become quite touristy but, again, is worth the visit. And while you're in the Wall Street area, you could visit the small museum dedicated to Elizabeth Seton, then cross the street to Battery Park (http://www.thebattery.org/) where you might find The Castle and its small museum to be interesting. BTW, there's a free walking tour offered by the Downtown Allliance at noon every Thursday and Saturday. National Geographic also has a walking tour of the downtown area posted on their site.

After you're done strolling through Battery Park, you could always take a short ride on the Staten island Ferry. Awesome views! And if you time it right, you could catch a Staten Island Yankees game at the ballpark which is adjacent to the ferry terminal.

This year we're more than likely not heading out to vacation elsewhere, and will have a staycation. We'll probably be doing the Fed Bank's tour and a tour (http://www.nywatertaxi.com/waterfalls/) of the NYC waterfalls, among other things.

BTW, don't know if you're interested but there's a rather complete listing (http://nymag.com/guides/cheap/walkingtours/) of free walking tours available on New York Magazine's site.