PDA

View Full Version : HELP please- Steak and potatoes!

debandbub
06-22-2008, 10:16 AM
OK- I am trying it make ADR's for my brother's family when they go in November with the DDP. We are going also, but overlapping vacations and are not on the DDP. I have planned a night where we are taking my nieces so that my bro and SIL can have a nice dinner alone. The problem?- My DB is the most unadventurous eater around! I was hoping for Le Cellier, but of course can't get in on the night I tried. (see previous posts from me where I explain how they thought they didn't need to pick places ahead of time!LOL) So please- toss me some ideas for a nice, but basic- steak and potatoes kind of meal. I think it would be easier if they only needed to use one TS credit each, so I know some of the other options I already thought of are off limits. Any ideas? THANKS!!!

Marilyn Michetti
06-22-2008, 10:27 AM
The Yachtsman over at Beach Club. Their steak is to die for!:thumbsup:

wdw_bound
06-22-2008, 10:38 AM
I'd lay odds that your brother and my DH are twins separated at birth ;) When DH and I went to premarital classes at church, we were asked to compile a list of favorite common things and share it with the group by way of introduction. Under the vegetable heading, we had to list ketchup :blush: He's gotten better over the years, but still won't venture to far from the basics.

That having been said, some of his favorite places to dine are:

Whispering Canyon (maybe not the right mood for you, but DH's all-time favorite)

Coral Reef - he says it's the best steak he's eaten (and if your SIL has a more adventurous palate, there are great choices for her, as well)

Biergarten - he didn't get "stuffed," but did fairly well with the buffet and enjoyed the atmosphere

Ohana - before they changed the menu - he was able to eat meat, lots and lots of meat. However, they've taken the Maui potatoes (au gratin) off the menu, and replaced his favorite sausage with shrimp, so we won't be returning this trip.

One place that did not work for us, even though DH was a good sport was Boma (and, frankly, it hurt my feelings to waste his TS on what amounted to a plate of chicken tenders).

You're a great sister / auntie for arranging a grown-up night for them - I look forward to being able to have one in a few more years when DS and DD are both the right age for the Cub's Den or Neverland Club.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

mickey&missy
06-22-2008, 10:58 AM
What about Artist Point at WL?

Kairi_7378
06-22-2008, 11:12 AM
For a single TS meal, I think Coral Reef is a good bet. Not sure if anyone has been able to try the Wave yet, which replaced Concourse Steakhouse.

If they can pay OOP for a meal, think the Brown Derby is a good choice for steak and potatoes, and has other choices for your SIL as well. (As a 2TS meal, it's not a really good deal on the DDP.)

Artist's Point at Wl is a good suggestion but it is a 2 TS meal. Other 2 TS meals that may be worth a splurge for them would be Narcoose's or CA Grill. I'd have them pay OOP for one of the one credit meals (good deal if there is a breakfast on their list) so they have the credits for a Signature place.

Fangorn
06-22-2008, 11:19 AM
You might want to try Boatwrights over at the Port Orleans Riverside resort. The have filet, prime rib, pork chops, etc. The food is excellent and it's a nice, quiet place. And after dinner they could walk around the grounds, or take a carriage ride or even just take the boat ride over to DTD and back.

DW and I were there just last night for our anniversary. The food and the staff was great.

Also, because it's off the beaten path, you won't have a problem getting a ADR.

Steve

MsMin
06-22-2008, 11:22 AM
I loved Spoodles on the boardwalk. They have a great grilled steak and can please a meat and potato palette. As mentioned, Coral Reef has a great steak, Ohana pleases the same hmmmm.
Whispering Canyon.

Jimenyfan
06-22-2008, 12:18 PM
The Yachtsman over at Beach Club. Their steak is to die for!:thumbsup:

You took the words right out of my mouth. My DS who is a very picky eater loved the steak and potato's, this had to be one of our best meals at WDW.

wendy*darling
06-22-2008, 09:29 PM
While Yachtsman and Artist Point are excellent places to dine- they are both 2TS- so not what you are looking for.

However... there are some excellent restaurants that should not be too difficult to get an ADR for to please the meat and potatoes DB.

Grand Floridian Cafe (Grand Floridian)
Kona Cafe (Polynesian)
Maya Grill (Coronado Springs)
Turf Club (Saratoga Springs)
The Wave (Contemporary)
Captain's Grill (Yacht Club)

All of these are in the resorts. Usually not much of a problem getting an ADR. Usually a nicer, more grown-up (even romantic) feel to them as well.
And they all have steak and other yummy options. :thumbsup:

WDW crazy
06-23-2008, 02:53 AM
We live about 30 minutes away from WDW. We often decide within about an hour and a half that we want to go to WDW for dinner. Nine times out of ten we can get into Kona Cafe(The Polynesian) even though it may be a later reservation like around 9:00PM. They have a very good teriyaki steak with mashed potatoes and veggies. It is a favorite of ours!

Natazu
06-23-2008, 03:04 AM
While I hate to hear that someone is going to be at the greatest collection of gourmet eateries in the Southeast and just have "the basics", here are some suggestions for great restaurants with steaks and an eclectic mix of other things for everyone else:

Jym's Top-7 Best WDW Restaurants for the Unadventurous:
7. Olivia’s
6. Spoodle’s
5. Coral Reef
4. Grand Floridian Café
3. ‘Ohana
2. Le Cellier
1. Kona Café

debandbub
06-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I have to say, you guys are all awesome to help with your suggestions! I would have never even thought about Coral Reef until you all suggested it. The menu is great! I am sure he'll find something there! So, I booked that for them. Overall, for not being someone who typically needs to make a lot of ADR's I think I did pretty good for them ( I ended up making most of them for their trip, I was afraid they'd all go hungry LOL)

And wdw_bound, I'd be happy to tag along on your next trip and watch the kids if you'd like to go out for an adult dinner- not a problem!:thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Kona cafe has a filet that is tender and yummy and their potatoes were delicious. That isn't exactly how the entree is listed, but the chefs are always willing to change things around to keep the guests happy. He added teriyaki sauce to my filet and kept my DH's plain. They were delicious!! Oh, and it's only 1 TS credit.

disneyboundagain
06-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I could (and want to) eat steak and potatoes 3 times a day, seven days a week. That being said, Coral Reef used to be my favorite, but they "changed" a few years ago, and I don't care to go there anymore. I'm not sure what changed, it just seems like the quality of food has gone way down hill.

We ate at the Wave this past weekend. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The food was awsome, the steak was awsome, and the atmoshere and service were awsome. And all for 1 TS point! I truely believe that they are only charging 1 TS to draw people in. I expect it to be raised to 2 TS points in the future. Our meal was for 2 adult TS points and 1 child TS point, and the check, before tip, was ocer $80. I just hope it is still 1 TS when we go back this Dec.

Tiggerish
06-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I am glad to hear that picky eaters like the Wave. I am anxious to try it next trip, and am accompanied by a PE. ;)

Goes4FastPass
06-25-2008, 04:24 PM
There are steaks all over WDW

wdwfansince75
06-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Just got back. Until this trip, would have recommended Le Cellier. More on that later.....DW, DF, and I had an outstanding dinner at Kona Cafe, and I highly recommend the steak teriyaki, the filet, or the mahi mahi. We had all three in our party, and throughly enjoyed the meal. Kona is normally available even without ADR's, but it is definitely not to late to make one now.

With regards to LeCellier, I've got bad news and good news.....It's too late to make ADR's....but the food isn't what it once was. I heard that the former executive chef has moved elsewhere, and from my experieice, the absence must be noted. We had a party of 8, including one child. Five were very disappointed, two were somewhat disappointed, and one, DGD#3, loved her pizza. Our first clue that we were about to be disappointed was the small portions on a huge platter. The tough prime rib was the biggest disappointment. Four of us had the prime rib, and only one finished the remarkedly small portion. Two had the pork. Both complained about portion size. It was served with a cold noodle dish, which neither particularly cared for. I had the strip steak. It was good, but not what I expected at LeCellier.