PDA

View Full Version : Good car rental rate - Alamo

mjstaceyuofm
06-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Were headed down in late August and have been checking the net a lot lately for rental car prices. Today we finally hit a good one for an SUV through Alamo. We'll be there for 9 days and got a rate of essentially $25/day for a total price of $225. All the car rates were well over $400. Must be the gas prices and the fact that people don't want to rent an SUV. I'm OK with it for the minimal driving we'll be doing at WDW.

I know Alamo is in the terminal - we normally use Dollar - anyone have an bad experiences with Alamo?

MarkC
06-20-2008, 11:00 PM
We've used them many, many times and never had one problem with them. Once we got a Cadillac instead of a mid-size and they said "our error" and we drove the Caddy for a week. I'd be very surprised if you had any problems that were within their control. Mark

merlinmagic4
06-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Well.........we had a bad experience. I usually don't like to share the bad ones since I believe everyone has a bad day but here goes.....

We arrived rather late at night (after 10pm). We checked in very easily at their self service computers (highly recommend this).

We get to the place to pick up the cars and the attendant asks how many people we have. I thought that was an odd question. Well, she points to the row of cars and says we can pick any car. We had reserved a mini van and all that was left were Toyota Highlanders.

Long story short, they were out of mini vans (obviously they overbooked) and we had to take a Highlander. My kids were really squished in the back seat but it was late, they were exhausted, so we took it and left.

I had to email them when we got home because I knew the SUV rate was less than I had paid. They refunded the difference between the two.

Next trip we have 7 people so I need to be absolutely sure we get the minivan that we reserve (there were only five of us on that trip).

Anyway, since you are reserving an SUV (I assume it will be a Highlander) you probably won't have a problem.

Again, I highly recommend the self service computers they have :thumbsup: It was much quicker and they did have a person overseeing the computers. It worked really well!

mjstaceyuofm
06-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the advice and feedback. I'll make sure I use the kiosks to check in.

For those of you interested in trying to take advantage of this deal, we got it through travelocity. When we logged onto Alamo's website the rate for the same vehicle was +$400. Weird.....

Love of Disney
06-21-2008, 12:05 AM
I just booked a car through Alamo at the Disney Car Care Centre and got a great price on an SUV. We are just renting it for one day though!

Does anyone know if there are any other car rental companies that use the Disney Car Care Centre?
:cool:

dephenn
06-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Wow that is a great rate. I used Alamo one time and it was easy and had no negative issues. Good luck and have a great trip.

CanadianWDWFan
06-21-2008, 08:51 AM
I use Alamo for personal rentals and have never had any issues with them at all. Join their renter program and it will help you with getting possible deeper discounts. I have signed up for emails and every couple of weeks I get last minute rentals from them that have some pretty good deals.

As for SUV's being cheaper, you are right. All rental companies are practically giving them away due to the high cost of gas.