PDA

View Full Version : Auto Train

smickey
06-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Has anyone taken the Auto Train to Florida with thier car? We are thinking of trying this in October when we head to Disney from upstate NY but wanted to get some advice from peoplewho might have used it recently.

Safe?
On time?
Good experiance?
Did you use a sleeper car?

Thanks very much!:mickey:

Beast_fanatic
06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
If you search this forum for "auto train", you'll find quite a few previous discussions/opinions/experiences with this transportation option.

smickey
06-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Thank you very much!:mickey:

brewcrew26
06-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Are you using the Auto Train from the D.C. suburbs to, I think it's Lawton, FL?

We did that in 1998. We took a jeep. We didn't use the sleeper car. It was my older brother who took my best friend and I when we were 17. It was really cool for both of us since we had only been on the Amtrak from Milwaukee to Chicago.

There was a movie in the beverage car twice a night. The meal car was pretty good since you can sit with other families or people traveling alone so you meet other people. My friend didn't want the "adult" dinner, so the chef let her have the kiddie dino-shaped chicken nuggets.

It was definitely a fun experience that I would like to do again although I don't know how much the tickets are now 10 years later and if that is a better buy compared to paying for the gas from the NE to Orlando.

Young@Heart
06-23-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm going to search out previous posts, too. We actually like driving from New England, but I wonder if we'd save money w/ the train as opposed to gas for the car?

TinyDancer
06-23-2008, 09:30 AM
We just took the Auto Train last May, so if you can't find what you're looking for in previous posts, send me a PM! :thumbsup:

c&d
06-23-2008, 10:42 AM
We haven't taken the auto train for about 4 years, but when we did we loved it. We had a family sleeper and it was just a very relaxing way to get to Florida.

When I priced it for an April trip one way in a family sleeper it was about $1100. We enjoy the drive down so I was looking for taking it back from Florida. But that price just seemed way to much.