PDA

View Full Version : Dining troubles...

daisyhead
06-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I just got off the phone and after checking for our favorite restaraunts, NONE were available at all. I am so bummed. So, what are the chances that a cancellation will open up? The attendant told me I was welcome to call back. I was just thinking that cancellations wouldn't be likely until the week of the trip, am I wrong? We're going August 28 to September 1. Labor day weekend and free dining, I know it's my own fault for trying to plan a last minute trip.

Any advice or can anyone recommend a restaraunt I'd be more likely to get into? We were trying for Liberty Tree, 1900 Park Fair Gala Feast, Chef Mickey's, and Breakfastasaurus. Is it because I am trying for character meals? I just realized that. Now I feel major pressure to get my reservations now or nothing will be left. Just curious, if there isn't anything available, what do you do with you table service meal credit?

Seasonscraps
06-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I would keep calling to see if there is an opening at one of your choices. Between free dining & a holiday weekend, you should make some back up ADRs at other places.

There's dozens of places...
Liberty Tree has a nice lunch that is not a character meal.
Boatrights at POR is good hearty food for dinner and they have a FABULOUS breakfast although I wouldn't use a TS for it.
I heard good things about the Grand Floridian Cafe
Whispering Canyon is fun (can be hard to get ADR)
lots of places. :)

If you do not use your TS credits, you lose them. Although one time I was there during free dining, there was an offer to downgrade a TS credit in exchange for a CS & a snack - but that is not the norm nor should you count on it.

Lynn J Mc
06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
I've had the same problem because we also planned a last minute trip. (If you can call planning in May for Sept last minute.) I was able to book The Wave at the Contemporary and I have had to take some earlier times but I finally managed to use all our TS. I am still calling trying to get an opening at Chef Mickey's for breakfast as my niece wants to take my dad there, just her and him. A CM told me to keep calling that she takes lots of cancellations every day.

daisyhead
06-20-2008, 03:43 PM
I called back and got some backups, so I will keep calling, hope for the best, and just be happy that we're going. I just love LTT. It's my favorite! I'll keep my fingers crossed! :mickey:

Kairi_7378
06-20-2008, 05:14 PM
I think it may be because of the timing, combined with the fact that you're looking at some very popular character meals. Are you traveling with children? Maybe you can try for breakfast at O'hana, Asherkus, or Cape May Cafe. Garden Grill is popular on the boards and supposed to be easier to get into. I'd try getting into some of the Epcot restaurants (Coral Reef, Marakesh) or branch out to some of the resorts (Kona Cafe, Boma, etc) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get into LTT!

r4kids
06-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Crystal Palaceis another good place to eat. Any of the 3 meals. It is not a favorite of ours but we enjoy it. It is also a character meal. Winnie the Pooh and friends. I would call in the morning, mid-day, dinner time and just before they close. I know it's alot but it has worked for us in the past. Good luck :)

coloradowendyl
06-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Just an idea...try booking very late lunches as your dinners and then having a snack in the evening. If you have some time flexibility, it will help!

Also, think outside the box...Spoodles, Captains Galley at Yacht Club, Maya Gril, Shutters, Boatwrights, etc may have some spots for you.

Wendy

Marker
06-20-2008, 05:39 PM
The best advice I can think of probably isn't really very helpful, at least not for this trip. That would be to call earlier next time. Still, look on the bright side, this will give you an opportunity to try different places. Who knows, you might discover a new favorite.

Realistically, keep calling. Also, as someone else said, look for other times. Late lunches, early dinners.

beksy
06-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Good luck...I know dining is VERY important for us on our trips and what we spend the most time planning so I can imagine your frustration! My best advice is to just keep calling and trying. You never know when someone will have a change in plans and a cancellation will happen. Hopefully all you hard work will pay off. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Also, have you considered Garden Grill? We made ADRs there when nothing else we really wanted was available (it was for the same day) and it turned out to be one of our favorite meals and a must-do for our next trip. :mickey:

dephenn
06-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Sorry to hear that. I had some trouble getting reservations for LTT in Oct. I guess people are finding out what a great place it is. I did get a reservation, but not on the night I wanted. There are so many good places to try if you don't want to try for a walk up chance. There are so many people here on intercot that can recommend places to eat thats how I found different places to try like Boma's at Kingdom lodge. Well best of luck.

aurora, ariel, and bell
06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I believe that people can cancell a trip 40 days prior to the reservation, so if you call 40 days before your date, or in that area you may have something open up. Good luck!:mickey:

faline
06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Just a few thoughts to keep in mind.

On one June weekend trip, we decided to go just 2 weeks before we arrived. I didn't even bother to try to make dining reservations and decided I would ber as flexible as possible - even it that meant eatint counter service at times I would prefer a table service meal. We had great luck arriving at restaurant opening times and were able to eat at both Liberty Tree Tavern and Le Cellier without any reservations!

Another possibility to to expand your horizons and try some new places that are less popular, but still available. Who knows? You might discover a new favorite!

We've also had fairly good luck with being able to dine at Grand Floridian Cafe and Kona Cafe without advance reservations.

On our last trip, we had a day when we had not made any reservations. When we arrived at Epcot, I decided I really would prefer a table service retaurant. I was able to find an acceptable dining location and time by heading over to Guest Relations to see what was available. You might try checking in with Guest Relations at the park or Concierge at your resort to see what they had available. You might be surprised at what you can get at the last minute when those who hold reservations change their plans!

mouseketeer mom
06-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Calling back over and over does take alot of time, but it can really be worth it. I called 2 weeks ago and got lunch at CRT at 1:30 for the 5 of us. I did not expect to get that!! As another poster mentioned, off times really are easier to get..also, booking 2 tables for your party size, like if there are five of you, booking a table for 3 and another for 2. Hopefully, the restaurant can work with you when you check in at the podium, altho they say they cannot guarentee you will be put together. Good Luck!