PDA

View Full Version : Day 1-Our LAST vacation with family

princessjojo
06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Our pre-trip hotel accommodations worked perfectly. We made it to the airport with plenty of time to spare and that extra sleep was the best thing we could have done for ourselves. And yes! I found my sneakers. DH packed them for me. How good is he…

Well we arrived at MCO and were on board the DME, on our way to SSR by 0850, & had the whole bus to ourselves. The poor driver must have thought we were moving in with all our luggage. Actually, it really looked like it, but what can one expect with a bunch of girls traveling. Forget the guys, they could have cared less. We checked our luggage, checked in, with hopes that our room would be ready then but not really expecting it. No such luck, so we decided to hit the parks.

Animal Kingdom it was, after waiting for roughly 30 minutes for a bus. But it was early and surely there were lots of families headed to the parks this morning. When we arrived at the parks, the first thing on the agenda was to upgrade Colbey & my park passes to APs since we’re planning to return in Aug for his birthday. The whole upgrade went smoothly until we tried to get in and the attendant told me the tickets were expired. WHAT! I just purchased them last week and upgraded them not 5 minutes ago. So off to guest relations we go.

We purchased our initial tickets from AAA. They purchased a huge number of tickets at once and we just so happened to get one of the tickets they purchased in 2007. Go figure… So when they upgraded our unused tickets to APs, they upgraded from the 2007 date AAA had showing ours now expiring today 2008. Not a big problem as it was quickly taken care of. Colbey still had no idea he was coming back in Aug so he was livid that he couldn’t keep his original Pluto ticket. Oh well.

We were quick to hit some kiddie rides since we had my nephew Thomas with us. It’s hard to tell a 6y/o why you can’t ride something, but he will get over it in about 2 minutes. After spending some time in Dinoland we finally made it to Expedition Everest. It was, as usual, thrilling. It’s funny to see the faces of those who’ve never ridden before when they come off. And the first thing from my niece, Peyton’s mouth was we have to do that again. And she meant it too. We rode 3 times that day. Kali River Rapids was wet, as usual, and It’s Tough to be A Bug, was, well, it is what it is. I still love it though.

Animal Kingdom is always fun for me, but I just like that environment. Sure it’s hot, but it’s the culture that I can’t get out of my mind.

We did dinner that evening at Whispering Canyon. We’ve never eaten there but I must say it will be a constant to our ADRs in the future. It was great and the kids loved the way the staff let their hair down and joked around with them. The greatest thing though was with my sister BrieAnna. Anyone who knows the life of and necessities of a 16yo girl knows how important their cell phone is. For her, it’s the extra appendage. I finally, by the end of the dinner decided to save my breath and stop arguing with her to put it down and stop texting. But when our waitress Suzan, as in Lazy Suzan, picked it up, the look on BrieAnna’s face was priceless. Suzan looked at the display and said, “Lets see who we’re texting here. Michael B., so who is he? Is he your boyfriend? I’m going to call him and find out.” So she did. BrieAnna was mortified. But it was probably the crowning moment to our day.

At this point, dinner is over and it’s getting late. We decided to go back to our room since we hadn’t been to the hotel since our arrival. We were all beat. Our day started at about 0445 and it was now around 10pm.

Room-great-a 2br villa in the Springs area; location of room-fair, but not too bad; anything else would be unfair to mention since I couldn’t process what I was seeing at this point of our day (Another post in and of itself). Good night John Boy, Good night Elizabeth…

disneyfamily05
06-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Sounds like a great start. That would have been great to see of the waitress calling on your sister's phone. Can't wait to hear about the rest!

KineGirl
06-20-2008, 02:40 PM
:whew: He packed your shoes! and :whew: the pass situation was somewhat easily resolved!

Im with you about AK - I love it too if only for the culture you can absorb in that place. Even if there is not much to do I can still get lost in the nooks & crannies & plants & animals of that place! :cloud9:

:funny: I could only imagine the look on your sisters face when your waitress called her friend! :eyes: How awesome!

#1disneyfan
06-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Glad to hear the sneakers made the trip!

I would have loved to have witnessed the cell phone incident. I have a preteen girl and I know how these cells and texting is like their lifelines! Drives me crazy.

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to read more!

pdrlkr
06-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

disneygeek84
06-21-2008, 05:22 PM
So glad to hear your shoes made it!!

We ate at Whispering Canyon last March and my aunt called my mom while we were eating and our waitress took the phone away from my mom and started talking to my aunt. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Thanks for posting..can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

faline
06-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Long...busy....fun day! What a lot your group packed in for your arrival day!

princessgirls
06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for reporting!

A terrific day!

Julie:mickey:

tinkerbellybutton
06-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a great start. I love what Susan did to your sister. :funny:

KylesMom
06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
I always worry when I see LAST trip and family mentioned in the same sentence. :D However, it sure sounds like Day 1 went off without a hitch. Glad you enjoyed WCC! Looking forward to reading more! :mickey:

laward32
06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Great start to your trip. That is to funny about BrieAnna. My niece is 13 and she does not let her phone go either. We stayed at SSR in Oct. I thought it was nice. Very clean. What did you think?:mickey:

Bethanymouse
06-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Sounds like you are off to a great start! Gotta love everest! Glad you cooled off at Kali! Cant wait to read more!

dolphinmickey9170
06-24-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm so glad your sneakies made it....whew! I would have died from laughter to witness "Susan" doing that to my DD17. Too funny! Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

Momof2boys
06-24-2008, 02:12 PM
So . . . inquiring minds want to know . . . is Michael B her boyfriend ? ? ?

Hopefully the family harmony continues for a couple days . . .

McGoofy
06-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Great first day! I love Whispering Canyon Cafe. I've never had dinner there, but breakfast is just as fun, and we keep going back for more. I love what the servers will do there. The cell phone thing...that's just good stuff!! :D

tinkerbell04
06-24-2008, 03:19 PM
It sure sounds like you are off to a great start. We love Whispering Canyon too!

ChipnDaleGal
06-26-2008, 12:14 PM
What a terrific start for your vacation! Glad you have your sneakers, the trip will be much more comfortable with them. And I love the story of the cell phone at Whispering Canyon! :thumbsup: Thanks for a fun report. :mickey:

daparish
06-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Glad your sneakers made it. It sounds like you had a fun day. Can't wait to read more.:mickey:

jillluvsdisney
06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
That was the funniest Whispering Canyon story I have ever read. How priceless.:silly::high5:

Lizzie
07-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Sounds like a great start and a very full day.

RocknBev
07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Loved your report...but I am exhausted after your fabulous day! :cloud9: