PDA

View Full Version : Magic Of Disney Animation Attraction

Gottaluvgoof
06-20-2008, 12:23 PM
I have never, in all my trips, been to this attraction. Is this something you really enjoy? Am I missing out by not visiting this attraction?

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
I really enjoy this. They tell you about how they create characters. Last time they told about creating Mushu. Then you can see a movie they are working on or one that was just completed. They'll have some of the cells and drawings around. At the end you can take a class a draw Mickey, Goofy, Winnie the Pooh or Tigger to name a few. They also have an area where you can see how they created some of the characters like Beast, Ursula, etc.

I think it's very interesting and one of my favorite attractions.

disneymom15
06-20-2008, 01:51 PM
We enjoy it also. I liked it better before they changed it, back when they were still doing animations at WDW.

DDuck66
06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Both my DW and I really enjoy this exhibit. You can usually get some previews of up and coming new Animated Movies. They also have a "Learn to Draw" a disney character that is part of the exhibit. Take the extra 30 minutes and stay for this. We really liked it and had some fun souvenirs that were one of a kind.

Jasper
06-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I personally love this but also have to say that I know many people who are thoroughly bored by it. In my experience I would say that those people who are going to WDW strictly for the thrill rides or strictly to be "entertained" and are not looking for any "educational" time out during their visit are normally the ones who are not as interested.

I would also agree with the other poster who said that a certain amount of the enjoyment of this attraction went out the window when the animators left the Florida studio. The other negative is that depending on when you catch it their is sometimes a significant lag between what movie they feature and what is out in the theaters.

In the final analysis it depends a lot on what you are looking for and whether or not you are willing to slow down and take in something that is a little less on the entertainment side of things and more on the educational side of things.

Gottaluvgoof
06-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Sounds like it might be worth giving a try. It seems at the Studios, we tend to not have enough to do. I guess I was just never sure what that was, and never really checked it out. I think it might be a good way to take a break from the heat and learn something too.

elmjimmlm
06-20-2008, 06:24 PM
We loved it and my DD drew the best Pooh (the bear)...We also got to meet the Incredibles...:mickey:

MickeyMousse
06-20-2008, 07:52 PM
We always walked by this but decided to give it a try on our last trip. We loved it! The show about animation with Mushu was interesting but the most fun was actually learning how to draw characters. Give it a try!! :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
06-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Sadly, last time I went thought there is felt like a graveyard. I have added it to my "another reason to skip MGM" list.

Sharon1026
06-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I have never, in all my trips, been to this attraction. Is this something you really enjoy? Am I missing out by not visiting this attraction?

How would we know if you would like it? We don't know you. Go see it and report your thoughts back to us.

dmosher
06-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Your basically asking if there is anything worth checking out at this attraction.

While this is a subjective question I think there are absolutely a few things worth seeing.
1) A fun/slightly educational film with an animator (live in the audience) interacting with Mushu (on screen) describing how characters are thought up and created. Very nice little short film.
2) Interactive screens inside about animation, characters, etc. Very informative and fun game-like interactions
3) Character Meet-n-greet. Usually these is The Incredibles or other Pixar style Characters.
4) Drawing a character. This is also a lot of fun, especially if you go later, when no one else is there. It means you get to go one-on-one with a Disney animator and learn to draw a real Disney character. DW and Ilove doing this and have drawn Pooh; and last time it was just us and the animator. She asked us who WE wanted to draw. We said Stitch and not only did we get to learn how to draw him... the animator GAVE us her perfect drawing of Stitch as well. It is now framed and on our wall!

SO basically, if you have never done this and any or all of these things appeal to you, then by all means, stop by and give it a try, you never know what you have been missing till you do.
Hope that helps,
:pipes:
D

big blue and hairy
06-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Definitely, if you haven't tried it, you should. Who knows what appeals to who? I really enjoy the Animation Academy.

This is for anyone at WDW management. Other than the Animation Academy, which is a nice addition, you took a fantastic attraction and ruined it. Please bring back animation! A combination of drawing and computer would be very cool. It was always the highlight of my visit to Disney-MGM Studios. Now that Hollywood Studios is getting the attention it badly needs, bring back one of the best things that Disney-MGM ever had.

:sulley:

Gottaluvgoof
06-21-2008, 05:17 PM
How would we know if you would like it? We don't know you. Go see it and report your thoughts back to us.

I didn't ask if it was something I would like. I asked if I was missing out on something good? I had no idea what it was and with the help of people on here, they have described it and now I know I might be interested and I might take the time to see it.

big blue and hairy
06-21-2008, 05:23 PM
I didn't ask if it was something I would like. I asked if I was missing out on something good? I had no idea what it was and with the help of people on here, they have described it and now I know I might be interested and I might take the time to see it.
Yeah...but it was kind of a funny answer....

mom2morgan
06-21-2008, 06:07 PM
My thoughts - go, but don't let yourself get sucked in too long playing around with the displays,which have the feel of a video game arcade. I liked the interaction between the animator and Mushu in the beginning, and 2 out of 3 of my kids LOVED getting to draw Donald Duck. The other wasn't very good at it, so threw a hissy fit, LOL

Crow
06-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Sadly, last time I went thought there is felt like a graveyard. I have added it to my "another reason to skip MGM" list.

I agree somewhat. ever since the animators desks went away its not the same.
i see it once a trip now, but it doesnt have the same personal touch.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-21-2008, 11:58 PM
My husband and I did this for the first time when we were there earlier this month. We didn't have our kids with us so we decided to give it a try. We enjoyed it. I know my oldest son will love it.

Also, Sorcerer Mickey is located in this attraction as well now. We saw him after we went through the Mushu portion. Just in case there is someone looking for him. We didn't know where he was since he moved.;)

brogan54
06-22-2008, 08:54 AM
loved it:mickey:

kakn7294
06-22-2008, 10:13 AM
We never miss it. Last time, the CM with Mushu was awful! He just quoted his lines with no emotion whatsoever. However, we were lucky enough that they actually had an animator in the area where you look down on the desk / office. He was doing Little Mermaid stuff - my favorite film. Once you are through the Mushu film, the rest is all self-touring so you can take as much or as little time as you want. We've never been able to get into the Animator's Academy as we always take too much time looking at the other stuff - we tend to hold back so everyone else is gone and it's just us left in the rooms. My kids love it!

Gottaluvgoof
06-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah...but it was kind of a funny answer....

I didn't think so, but to each their own. No harm. Hakuna Matata.

:simba:

Young@Heart
06-24-2008, 02:21 AM
I think this was a good question! :mickey: We've also never stopped here, but were planning to in a few weeks. I knew the basics of what is offered here, but not I have a little more info about what to expect. :thumbsup:

Disneyexpert15
06-24-2008, 11:18 AM
The mushu show is the same as it was at California Adventure at Disneyland in Anaheim.
If you have children who love disney characters, after the show is over they have this place where recent characters from recent disney movies signing autographs. If you want to skip the mushu show, inside of the animation gift shop in the far back there is the entrance to the area to which the characters are at. I learned that from a cast member.

Sharon1026
06-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I didn't think so, but to each their own. No harm. Hakuna Matata.

:simba:

I find it odd that anyone would ask "would I like this ride". It's like asking - Will I like porkchops? Do you think I'll enjoy swimming more than a movie? Honestly, go see it for yourself. That's why the attractions are there. To go and experience them. We are just voices on the board. We don't know what you will like or won't like. I wouldn't want to steer you towards or away from an attraction based on my opinion. Go experience it and let us know.

barnaby
06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
We went in the shop last time to see the Sorcerer Mickey and Frozone characters.
We did check out the "Animation Academy" which I really enjoyed. We got to draw Dopey. :)

Gottaluvgoof
06-26-2008, 09:18 AM
I find it odd that anyone would ask "would I like this ride". It's like asking - Will I like porkchops? Do you think I'll enjoy swimming more than a movie? Honestly, go see it for yourself. That's why the attractions are there. To go and experience them. We are just voices on the board. We don't know what you will like or won't like. I wouldn't want to steer you towards or away from an attraction based on my opinion. Go experience it and let us know.

I don't appreciate someone quoting something I never said. Please read the post before you attempt to quote someone. I never said, "would I like this ride?" Please go back to the original post and read it. Seems others haven't had the same issues as you. They seem to understand what they read.

Gottaluvgoof
06-26-2008, 09:21 AM

To help you out, I have quoted my original post. I wanted opinions from those who have been to this attraction. THEIR opinions have been very helpful.

By the way, do I like pork chops? :funny:

Lizzie
06-26-2008, 01:09 PM
I love everything Disney. But our kids were to young last time we went. So while the husband and kids were napping I headed out to go exploring on my own.

I sat through the drawing session and found it so much fun I came home with a few books on how to draw the charachters. Thought it would be fun to do with the kids as they got older.

Sharon1026
06-26-2008, 02:37 PM
To help you out, I have quoted my original post. I wanted opinions from those who have been to this attraction. THEIR opinions have been very helpful.

By the way, do I like pork chops? :funny:
You asked if you were missing out by not having been to this attraction. This is implying that you are wondering if you it is worth seeing. Which implies that you are wondering if you would like it or not. Why not just go and experience it for yourself?

tinkerkell070
06-26-2008, 04:39 PM
This is one of my favorite things to do at Disney. We will go watch the movie with Mushu once then head into the line to draw a character. I love the little kids trying to guess which character is being drawn on the screen while we wait.

If it is slow we will do it over and over again. One time during extra magic hours I think we did it 4 or 5 times (they usually draw a different character each time). We are usually not alone in getting back in line for another try. If it was crowded I would certainly not do this because I would want someone else to get the chance to experience it.

You can go up afterwards and ask to keep the one the animator did. They usually give it to the kids but I waited one time and no one else went up so I did and now I have it hanging in a frame surrounded by some of my best efforts.

Gottaluvgoof
06-26-2008, 05:23 PM
You asked if you were missing out by not having been to this attraction. This is implying that you are wondering if you it is worth seeing. Which implies that you are wondering if you would like it or not. Why not just go and experience it for yourself?

You can take things however you want. I wasn't implying anything. I just wanted opinions. You are implying that people should never ask questions on here, they should just try the rides, the shows, the restaurants, and find things out for theirselves. It doesn't hurt to get others opinions. I have learned lots from the responses I have received.