buzznwoodysmom
06-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Cast:
Me, Denise
DH, Kevin
DS, Collin 8
DS, Landon 6
DM, Sheila

Friday, June 13 - Happy Birthday to me!!! Today is my birthday and I feel so lucky to be able to spend it with my family on vacation. We were up early this morning, had a quick breakfast in our room and decided to ride around Vero to see what the town was like. This is not your typical beach tourist community. There were no souviener shops, not a lot of restaurants, and just not much to do at all. We were back at the resort in less than an hour.

We spent the entire day out by the pool and on the beach. They boys once again stayed on that slide almost the whole time. We rented two lounge chairs and an umbrella as well as two body boards on the beach. Collin and Kevin had a lot of fun in the waves with their boards. Landon hated the beach. He tried to use one of the boards with mom's help, but the wave took him and I couldn't hold on. He ended up tumbling up the beach and wouldn't go near the water again. He had sand in his swim suit and was just miserable. Eventually, my mom, who had enough of the sand as well, took him back to the pool. I enjoyed laying out on a lounge chair and hearing the waves crashing in. It was so relaxing and peacefull. The water was beautiful and very warm. This was Kevin and Collin's favorite part of Vero. They had the time of their lives in those huge waves.

We had lunch at Bleachers again today. And the boys played in the pool until it was time for us to go get ready for dinner.

Kevin and I were having an adult only dinner tonight. We ordered pizza for my mom and the boys and we had dinner at Sonia's. The food was very good and it was nice to have a quiet meal on vacation. We rarely have dinner alone while on vacation so this was a great birthday present for me. Before dinner we had drinks at the Green Cabin room. We really liked it in there. After dinner we were headed back to the room to see if the boy's wanted to go to the campfire singalong. We ended up meeting up with them in the hall. They had gone down to the gift shop to each pick me out a birthday present and get mickey ice cream bars. They had their ice cream out on the back porch sitting in rocking chairs. Collin had picked out a cute pair of earings with dangling black mickey heads. I love them. I don't wear Disney when not at WDW, but these earings are very subtle. Landon picked out a bracelet with my initial and a mickey head clasp. Once again, this is subtle enough that I can wear it even when not at WDW. Great job on the cute gifts boys!!

The boys didn't want to go to the campfire so we went walk along the beach instead. It was so nice. There was maybe one other family on the whole beach. We drew Mickey heads in the sand, looked for seashells and walked in the shallow water. We had fun using Collin's metal detecter, but didn't find anything. After our beach walk the boys played on the playground for a bit, we walked through the mini golf area and walked around the grounds of the resort. This turely is a beautiful place. It was a perfect ending to a perfect birthday!

Sat. June 14 - Today we had an early Character breakfast. We got to see Donald and Goofy within the first 10 minutes of our breakfast. It was so strange to have a character breakfast outside of WDW. The breakfast was great, it kind of reminded me of the breakfast served at Ohana's.

Once our tummy's were full we headed to Kennedy Space Center. We were there when the shuttle landed. While we didn't get to actually see it, it was very exciting to be there. We heard the sonic boom and could hear the engines. We were also able to hear the shuttle talking with the tower over speakers. The boys really enjoyed hearing that. We had a good time at KSC, but I can't say that I'd go again. It was a bit expensive for what is offered. On our way back to Vero we stopped by Cocoa beach and visited the Ron Jon Surf Shop. This place is huge. We drove along the coast all the way back to the resort. We saw an alligator swimming in a canal. We also saw what appeared to be a dolphin swimming not far of the coast. We stopped a few times on the way back just to take in the scenery and the beauty of the ocean.

Once back at Vero we headed straight for the pool. We had dinner at Bleachers and spent the rest of the evening playing mini golf and swimming in the pool. Once again the boys did not want to go to the campfire. They wanted to swim as long as possible because they knew we were leaving in the morning. Eventually we pulled them out of the pool and went back to the room to pack and wash a few loads of laundry. Kevin packed up the car so we could have an early departure. The boys were sad to leave, but little did they know that there was more in store for them tomorrow.

Up next: The big surprise!

faline
06-20-2008, 12:24 PM
I've never given a stay at Vero Beach serious consideration but your description of your stay there is making me rething that!

Happy belated birthday! :mickey: What a terrific celebration you had along with some wonderful gifts!

mouseketeer mom
06-20-2008, 07:51 PM
I think it sounds great!!! Really, really, relaxing!! Thanks Denise!

#1disneyfan
06-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Can't wait for the surprise!!

pdrlkr
06-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

SgtTigger
06-20-2008, 09:21 PM
surprise????????????

surprise???????????

Big surprise????????????? come on tell me...... please......... :yay:
:birthday: I did not know your birthday is the 13th mine is the 9th.... now you know why we get along so well.... :funny:

So it sound like the pool was a big hit...... Again mickey bars.........

and presents to boot..............

off to see the big news..............

:cop: :tigger:

buzznwoodysmom
06-20-2008, 09:47 PM
surprise????????????

surprise???????????

Big surprise????????????? come on tell me...... please......... :yay:
:birthday: I did not know your birthday is the 13th mine is the 9th.... now you know why we get along so well.... :funny:

So it sound like the pool was a big hit...... Again mickey bars.........

and presents to boot..............

off to see the big news..............

:cop: :tigger:

Yes, mine is the 13th and Kevin's is the 5th. We are a bunch of June babies.

Landon had enough Mickey bars for everyone! He does every trip. I joke with him that he is going to run disney out of MIckey bars if he keeps it up.

ChipnDaleGal
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Vero Beach sounds like an ideal place to relax and recharge your internal batteries. Thanks for sharing. :mickey:

tinkerbell04
06-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Landon eats Mickey bars like my kids eat Itzakadozee popcicles there! They can't go a few hours without having one!!

Momof2boys
06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Your birthday gifts sound wonderful. It's great to add a little Disney magic while at home so I'm sure you'll get great wear out of them.

I'm going to do some research on Vero Beach - Mickey bars & character meal ? With a lot of relaxation thrown in . . . sounds like a perfect place to visit after a Disney World vacation ;)

dolphinmickey9170
06-24-2008, 05:36 PM
How relaxing. I hope you had a great birthday!!

I am too excited to read about the surprise.......I can't wait....gotta go read so more. :mickey:

Thanks for sharing.

MauiMouse
07-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Sounds so relaxing Denise. :thumbsup:

Lizzie
07-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Sounds like a really nice place. We might have to check it out on one of our trips.