PDA

View Full Version : The Brooks Family: Very First Trip To Disney: Trip Report

cincymommy
06-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Hello, everyone! Well, it is has been a VERY BUSY few days, but I finally have some time to sit down here at my resort and type a few words about my (and my son's) first trip to Disney.

First, let me start off by saying that this has been such a wonderful experience. I have had the best time and I am honestly saddened at the idea of checking out tomorrow morning. I know that all good things must come to an end, but I can't help but feel a little choked up. This has truly been a wonderful vacation. I have never felt so care free in such a long time. This place has a great way of making its guests feel welcome and completely at home. That being said, please allow me to give some details of this great trip!

The Resort:
We stayed at the All Star Movies Resort and we have all loved it. Our room is in the Dalmatians section (building 4). I have to say I have completely enjoyed being a guest at this resort. The room is very clean, the staff very helpful,and we have everything we need. Our room was cleaned each day when we returned from parks after lunch time and we are a very short walk from the pool. Speaking of the pool, we love it also. My son love's the Mickey fountain in the Fantasia pool. I think this (and I am sure the other value resorts) are so ideal for families with small children. We will definitely stay here again on future trips.

The Parks:

We have done so much at each park that has created great memories. The first day we enjoyed getting acquainted with the Magic Kingdom (Yes, I DID cry a little when I finally saw that castle in person - I have been dreaming of coming here since I was 5 years old!) and also made a stop at Epcot. We found there was very little for our son to do at Epcot, but he did enjoy the Epcot Character Spot as well as the Seas with Nemo and Friends. My husband and I plan to return to Epcot this evening for a special dinner and alone time as part of a small celebration of my birthday. We have a sitter from Kids night Out coming to watch our son.

My son's favorite attractions were the Pooh ride, the Indy Speedway (he LOVED "driving" daddy around in a car), teacups, Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, It's a Small World, and the Playhouse Disney Show at Disney's Hollywood studios. I made a bad judgment call at one point because I thought he would really enjoy the Buzz Lightyear ride. He ended up being really afraid and cried through most of the ride. I felt so bad! He was fine when we got off though and we had no trouble getting him on other rides.

Some of my personal favorite attractions (so far) have been Philharmagic and the Haunted Mansion. (We did a baby swap on the Haunted Mansion so we could each ride.) Tonight I am hoping to ride Soarin' and the Test Track while at Epcot. The only ride I did not get to ride that I was really disappointed about was Toy Story Mania. The fast passes were gone for the day when we got to the ride and the wait was almost 2 hours. Waiting 2 hours with a 3 year old is just not possible.

The Weather:
I was a little bummed when checking out the forecast for our trip before our departure because there has been over a 50% chance of thunderstorms each day. We have LUCKED OUT because we have barely seen any of them. I have a theory as to why. On Sunday night before we went out for dinner there was a downpoar that lasted a couple hours. Because the news weather guy predicted the same downpours for Monday during the day, I decided to be proactive and buy the family Disney ponchos. I bought the ponchos - it has not rained. I am convinced this is because I shelled out the money for the ponchos. It's fine by me! I would pay to keep the rain away!

Other than the rain forecast - or lack there of - we have just been experiencing the typical HOT Florida summer weather. You know, the kind that sends you into a big time sweat as soon as you exit your hotel and makes you long for indoor attractions.

Because of this hot weather, we have been taking advantage of Early Extra Magic Hours and staying in the parks until about noon and then venturing back to the resort for pool and nap time. Then, at about 6:00, we are ready to head out again. This system has worked perfectly for us and the pool feels amazing after all the sweating!

The Food:

Honestly, the weather has been so hot that I have been able to truly savor the food. I am just always more in the mood for a giant drink than a plate of food. I will, however, give my impressions of what I have eaten so far.

The first night, our table service meal was at the Cape May Cafe. I thought the food there was very good, but really had to rush because it was our first night and my son was in melt down mode. We had to eat quick and get him out of there and into a bed. It was delicious though and I enjoyed the seafood very much.

The following day we at the Sci Fi Cafe. I have read a lot of negative reviews of this place, but I loved it. We ordered burgers and fries - which were delicious - and enjoyed the fun atmosphere. Because of my son's love of cars, he thoroughly enjoyed pretended to drive us around as we ate. We had ice cream sundaes for dessert which definitely hit the spot!

Yesterday we had lunch at the Crystal Palace and this was wonderful! I found the food to be just delicious and of course we loved the special atmosphere given by the characters. Our son loved dining with his favorite friends from the Hundred Acre Wood. This was really great!

Tonight my hubby and I plan to eat at Tutto Italia.

As far as counter service nothing really stands out. We just ate quick, convenient sandwiches and pizza.

I did find the famed Dole Whip and WOW. That was delicious and so refreshing in this hot weather. Yummy is the only word I can use to describe it. My other favorite Disney snack has been the Mickey Rice Krispie treats with the chocolate ears. Yummy!!

I am an adventurous eater, but unfortunately my husband and son are not - they are very picky. Therefore, it was a little daunting trying to make reservations that everyone would enjoy. I think I did a good job considering what I had to work with and we were all very happy with my choices.

Thank You:
Thanks to all of you who have given me countless pieces of advice as I have planned this trip. I know for a fact that if not for this board, I would not have been so well prepared. One of my biggest concerns was keeping my son happy and he has been wonderful - a real trooper. He went into meltdown mode the first night and then my husband knew how to handle each of the following days. We looked for signs for impending doom and acted early before he went nuts. I was so impressed at his patience for waiting in line and for dining reservations. He was such a good boy and I am so glad we planned this trip with him.

The Future:
Well, now that our first trip as a family is over, we are already talking about the next one. It may be awhile because this year we are planning to try and expand our family. Once baby #2 is older (and born...lol) we will make this trip again to make more memories. I can tell already that I am going to become the Disney enthusiast that all of you are and hope that I can help a newbie out as well as all of you have. I think the only change we will make next time is a trip during the winter months in order to try and avoid the sweltering heat! This has really been the best vacation of my life and I love the idea of continuing to build memories here! (Man, I am actually getting a little misty eyed typing this.) Thanks so much and have "magical" day. (hee hee)

dolphinmickey9170
06-18-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm so glad you had a great vacation. I enjoyed reading your trip report. Thanks for sharing and enjoy Italy this evening! Safe travels home.:mickey:

EllieMae
06-18-2008, 06:03 PM
I am so glad that you are having such a magical time. :mickey: Even in the heat WDW is still amazing. It's always fun to hear from first timers, and I will admit that I got a little misty eyed reading how wonderful you think the World is. :cloud9:

faline
06-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I get a little misty eyed myself when I hear that someone has had such a wonderful first trip to Disney! Thanks for sharing your trip with us! Now...go start planning your next one!

Maleficent's Dad
06-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Wonderful report - thank you so much for sharing! :mickey:

Gotta love that poncho investment! A few dollars to keep the rain away - I'll try that strategy in August! :thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
06-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Oh my goodness, I agree with Linda, you made me get all teary eyed reading your report. It made me think of all those amazing firsts I had on my very first WDW trip with my daughter. I think you have been bitten by the infamous Disney Bug and I have no doubt that we will see many reports from you in the future. I am just so happy that your first experience was such a good one and that you and your husband will have all these wonderful memories of your son's first trip. I hope you have a fun night out at Epcot as a couple, and good luck with the "checking out blues". Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. Best of luck with the impending birth of your new baby. He/she is a lucky baby as I am sure there will be many trips to WDW in its future. :mickey:

pdrlkr
06-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

RedSoxFan
06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Sounds like you had a great first time at Disney. Glad you had such a great time. Happy planning for the next trip to WDW.:mickey:

princessgirls
06-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for sharing the highlights of your wonderful trip.

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
What a wonderful trip you've had - it's truly a sad moment when you have to think about leaving. However, I know you'll be back, making more memories and enjoying your family in the future. It's always so fun to read a newbie's trip reports when everything goes as planned! :cloud9: I hope dinner with DH was as good as you'd hoped, too.

We stayed in the same area at ASMo - we had a great time there. Thanks for sharing with us!:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Glad to hear about your great trip! I especially loved hearing about your first time seeing the castle--that got to all of us! Welcome to the wonderful world of Dole Whips--aren't they awesome?! That poncho theory is absolutely true, by the way...Works for us!:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-29-2008, 08:00 PM
This is truly a great website to pick up all kinds of pointers to help a newbie have a fantastic first trip. It was on here that I learned about Dole Whips too. I'm so glad you have a great first trip.

tinkerbell04
07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
It sounds like you had a truly fantastic trip. I am so glad that you shared your memories with us!

DizNee143
07-02-2008, 03:51 PM
wow..really that got me a little choked up also...you can just tell by how you wrote everything..that you are having a wonderful time..im so glad you enjoyed your disney vacation as much as you have..and i hope you had a wonderful night with your hubby..and a great last day!!! :mickey:

Lizzie
07-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Sounds like you had a great vacation.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 04:18 PM
:cloud9: Everything sounds wonderful...

MuchLovedMama
07-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Got me all misty eyed as well. I can't wait till my trip this September. This will be the first for my kids & I can't wait to see the smiles on their faces.

lighteningqueen
07-11-2008, 07:44 PM
We took our first trip this past Dec to the world and LOVED it.. I obsessed about it all until we left to go, actually my family was tired of me telling them everything I found out and could do. But I have to agree with you. I teared up at every corner there. I think it was becasue for all these years we could have gone if I had known that you could pay it out. Plus I din't even know about these boards. It just made it better. We ate at Sci Fi and loved the burgers, the sandwiches were not so good but we all agreed that the burgers were the best on the grounds. We are trying Crystal palace this next dec trip for breakfast and hope that it is good as well. I am so glad that you didn't have a negative. It really is a place that you can overlook everything going on in your life and find yourself living each day to go to bed late and wake up early to start all over again. We are staying at the All Star Music again in the suites and we loved it. Cleanest place we have ever stayed anywhere and the check in service was so smooth as well as check out. Can't wait to go. This will probably be our 2nd but last trip for a while as it is costly, but our 5 year old grandson will start school pre K this year and won't get to leave school. But we have a new one that is 4 months old.. Looking forward to another trip in 3 years.

KineGirl
07-11-2008, 07:53 PM
awww..

Welcome to the (Disneymaniacs) club!

How can you NOT fall in love???? :mickey:

Bethanymouse
07-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I am so glad that you had such a magical trip! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Young@Heart
07-12-2008, 02:19 AM
What a wonderful report! I can totally relate to the poncho theory! That's exactly how my luck goes, too. :mickey: