PDA

View Full Version : The New DDP is a major pain!

GrumpyFan
06-18-2008, 01:40 PM
We just returned from WDW (6/8-6/13) and used the new DDP, and cannot stand it! We've used DDP several times before and loved it because it took care of everything. But now, without an appetizer, or at least being able to choose appetizer or dessert, and having to pay the tip separately, it's a real pain in the you-know-what! Many of the servers were still struggling with how to work it, so they would get their tip, plus a couple times we ordered something not included with the plan, along with using the plan, and had to sign multiple pieces of paper. Disney really ruined DDP with these most recent changes. Hopefully they will make it easier to use again in 2009.

#1disneyfan
06-18-2008, 01:44 PM
The changes make me sort of glad that we are paying OOP for our food. We tried to get the dining plan for our upcoming trip in August, but were unable since we added 2 nights onto our land/sea package.

While it was easier in the past to using the DDP, I am interested to see how we will do on our own and paying OOP for all meals. I know I made a few less ressies for this upcoming trip however!

Minnie4me
06-18-2008, 02:26 PM
But now, without an appetizer, or at least being able to choose appetizer or dessert, and having to pay the tip separately

Hmmm....I will be using the Deluxe Dining Plan in Sept for the first time.

I know that the tip isn't included in the 2008 plans, but I thought that appetizers and desserts were part of the TS credits.

Are they???

katzctkpt
06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
We haven't used the DDP and kinda glad that we didn't. After reviewing our past eating experiences and the cost we spent a lot less on food than what the DDP was gonna cost about $300 less. Granted we didn't eat every meal as a ts out of 6 nights 2 were ts and the others cs which we enjoyed very much.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM

I know that the tip isn't included in the 2008 plans, but I thought that appetizers and desserts were part of the TS credits.

Are they???Appetizers are NOT included in the DDP, but dessert IS. They ARE BOTH included in the Deluxe Dining Plan.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-18-2008, 02:39 PM

Are they???

They are included in the Deluxe DDP but not the Basic DDP.

I found this info on another site. It stated it came from the UK Disney site.

2009:
Disney Dining plan £25.00 Adult (12+) £10.00 Child (3-11)

Disney Deluxe Dining plan £43.00 Adult (12+) £16.00 Child (3-11)

So it looks like DDP $50 and DDDP $86. That's a big jump! I sure hope this isn't true.

Young@Heart
06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
I believe we're paying $38/adult and $10/child (only DD) for each night of our package. I'm not sure about the cost of the deluxe DDP.

We're just going to skip app's (not a big deal, since we don't normally get them at restaurants anyway) and then pay cash for all tips. I'm hoping this makes things a little more managable for us. :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
06-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Apologies to the OP...

Complete information about the Dining Plans is available right here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/diningplan/default.asp) on INTERCOT's InfoCentral.

Back on topic, it's really amazing that with the year almost half over, things are still being worked out vis a vis the Dining Plan. I, for one, did not like not being able to have a salad (one of the ways I've found to get in my five fruits and veggies at WDW) and instead was channeled towards having a dessert. I would so prefer to have the choice.

Polynesian Dweller
06-18-2008, 09:10 PM
We haven't used the DDP and kinda glad that we didn't. After reviewing our past eating experiences and the cost we spent a lot less on food than what the DDP was gonna cost about $300 less. Granted we didn't eat every meal as a ts out of 6 nights 2 were ts and the others cs which we enjoyed very much.

That's pretty much what we found as well and its what I mean by being honest with yourself in determining of DDP is worth it for you. Its not about what you saved on the food you ate on the plan its what you would normally eat. IF we ate TS every night on the plan, yes there was a savings, but that isn't normal and is way too much food, for us.

Like you we normally have 2 to a maximum of 3 TS over 6 nights not on the DDP and that's still a lot of food for us. So DDP doesn't work for us and saves us nothing, in fact costs us. That's how Disney makes money on it, the plan encourages you to spend more (purchasing the plan) than you would normally spend not on the plan.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I find the way we eat 2 CS food (lunch and dinner) plus drink and we always get some kind of snack during the day, throw in the tax and $38 a day isn't to far off. I can't say if I like the DDP or not as Sept will be my first time using it. And unless WDW offers a discount for late Sept I'll have to pay for the plan. That said I still think the plan is worth it, I am looking forward to TS every night It will give us a chance to slow down and relax for awhile.:mickey: Just my:twocents:

Jarrod
06-18-2008, 10:33 PM
We just experienced the New DDP the first time a few weeks ago and we really think it is a pain. It was very awkward for the wait staff because they always felt they had to explain that the tip was not included, etc. Plus, it would be really nice if they let you choose between App or Dessert. We always split apps and desserts. Oh well, maybe they will tweek it a bit for 2009. For our November trip we will be using our DDE only.

buzz638
06-19-2008, 08:13 AM
It's going to be our 5th trip to the World, and finally decided to try the DDP for the first time. But reading all your comments , hope i made the right choice :confused:
Hopefully the wait staff will get use to the new format and by december everything will be on track:cloud9:

I wanted to ask if, on the DDP, we can choose between apps or desert, but reading your post i guess not :(

Buzz

DisneyCouture
06-19-2008, 08:57 AM
We just returned from WDW (6/8-6/13) and used the new DDP, and cannot stand it! We've used DDP several times before and loved it because it took care of everything. Hopefully they will make it easier to use again in 2009.

I am sorry that you had a bad experience GrumpyFan. That can be such a downer with all the receipts to sign, etc. We are using the DDP for our next trip this fall and it is the first time with all the changes. We used the old one and it was smooth. I hope that we will be able to handle it the new changes. Thanks for telling us about your experience.

TIGGER17179
06-19-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm really glad I read this.. I was debating on getting this or not for our trip in August, we are only there for a few days. It seemed like a lot of food to me and after reading this I guess I was right.

TheDuckRocks
06-19-2008, 09:03 AM
This was what I posted in my dining review after our Jan. 2008 trip:
Our cost for the DDP: $1671.56
Total amount for food eaten on DDP (including tax): $2199.38
Amount we saved using DDP for us: $ 527.82

We ordered what we wanted from the menu – not what was the most expensive.
This did not include any meals or items that we paid for out of pocket.
Was it worth it for us even considering all the detailed planning it took to figure out how to best utilize the plan? OH, yeah!!!
This was our first experience using any DDP and it worked for us and it may not for you. Do your research and know what you will be getting and if it is for you or not. We will be using the deluxe DDP in Dec. when it's just my DH and myself. We will take this opportunity to dine at many signature restaurants and I figure we will be saving some big bucks once again.

murphy1
06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
It seems like they have had to work out the kinks every year b/c it keeps changing. We were lucky enough to use it when it first came out and it wasn't assigning kid and adult credits and also before this new way came out this year. (the servers would even tell us to pay for kids oop and use their credits for adults) We do quite a few buffets and CS/snackies and have three little kids under 9, so for us it works better to do oop next trip this year. I would write a letter or send an email to Disney, I have told several people to do that. I think if you like to eat a lot and have mostly adults or older kids who like to eat, then the deluxe plan looks like the best way to go.

luvdiznee
06-19-2008, 09:34 AM
I was disappointed in the change on the snacks. :thedolls:

SBETigg
06-19-2008, 09:43 AM
It still represents a savings for my family, and we often ordered extras off the plan anyway so the hassle factor is no different. I don't really see signing an extra receipt as all that much hassle. For us, it still works, but I think people really have to consider their own needs to see if it will work for them.

buzz638
06-19-2008, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE]I was disappointed in the change on the snacks/QUOTE]

And what are those changes Luvdiznee:confused:

Buzz

laprana
06-19-2008, 09:57 AM
We didn't have too much trouble with the new DDP this time. We were in WDW about 2 weeks ago, and out of 11 TS meals, we only had one instance where the server asked how we wanted to pay for the tip. And he very obviously felt terrible about having to ask. The tip thing was a little less convenient than just having it paid for ahead of time, but the upside to that was that we found our service to be significantly better across the board than it was the last 2 times we were on the DDP. The only thing we really didn't like about the new DDP changes was the way they restrict the snack credits now. They have really limited what you can have as a snack.

laprana
06-19-2008, 10:00 AM
=buzz638;1662343

The snacks can now only be 1 serving and have to be under $4. It used to be that you could get anything under $4, but not anymore!

vicster
06-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I really don't think the dining plan will save us money. We've gotten it in the past for convenience (loved the tip included so you didn't have to worry about that). We'll see how it goes this year and if we don't like it we won't use it in the future.

poeticeclipse
06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
For any of you that are debating as to "why" the new DDP provides you with dessert and not an appetizer, take this into account...

The average dessert can be made in bulk, with low cost. It also has much less chance of spoiling than an appetizer.

The average appetizer can't be made in a large amount all at once and just sit there and taste the same for hours on end. You can't just stuff most appetizers in a fridge/freezer and then serve it to guests whenever. Appetizers also have many more ingredients (most of the time) and that increases cost.

Really, it's all about keeping Disney's cost low while "appearing" as though they're giving the guest the same bang for their buck.

luvdiznee
06-19-2008, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE]I was disappointed in the change on the snacks/QUOTE]

Buzz

These are the ones I was talking about: 1 Snack*
Choose from:
- Frozen ice-cream novelty, popsicle or fruit bar
- Box of popcorn
- Single serving grab bag of Frito-Lay's chips
- One 20oz bottle of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite or water
- Single piece whole fruit
- Medium fountain soft drink or apple juice
Found right here on Intercot!:number1:Sorry not good with links. :blush:

Hammer
06-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Actually, if you read the list which Jason posted here (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=91180), you can see a list of many of the single serve items that you can get in the various parks and resorts. Some of the options are not available in 2008, but many still are. When I was at WDW over Memorial Day weekend, I noticed that most choices at the Main Street Bakery were considered snack options, including the homemade ice cream sandwiches :tasty: and apple charlotte (a favorite of Ellen (ElenitaB).

henry.james.s
06-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I also did some math re the cost of the DDDP and using it at TS locations based on the 69.99 cost per day for an adult.

An example....
Bfast @ Boma...16.99
Lunch @ Tepan Edo...$40 +/-
Dinner @ Le Cellier...$52 +/-
Total $109 +/-
You come out $39 ahead than going OOP before the tip.
Granted at a Signature TS spot you use 2 of your 3 daily credits but you still come out ahead enough to cover the tip.

Thats alot of food but if you work it right you can do this every time.
Still a good deal for me.:thumbsup:

buzz638
06-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Ok, excuse my ignorance but i am a little lost:confused:
I did see Jason's list, and it's way more than just ice cream and pop corn !
So for example, for breakfast at Pop Century, can i take a muffin or cereal on the DDP snack ?

Thank you

Buzz

bigbabyblues
06-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Ok, excuse my ignorance but i am a little lost:confused:
I did see Jason's list, and it's way more than just ice cream and pop corn !
So for example, for breakfast at Pop Century, can i take a muffin or cereal on the DDP snack ?

Thank you

Buzz

I think the disappointment comes in because last year, and probably before that, you could get a box of doughnuts for a snack credit, and other things like that.

They've limited it now to items that cannot be shared. I would think the muffins would be included, but we haven't gone this year yet so I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this helps!

TheDuckRocks
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=buzz638;1662343]

These are the ones I was talking about: 1 Snack*
Choose from:
- Frozen ice-cream novelty, popsicle or fruit bar
- Box of popcorn
- Single serving grab bag of Frito-Lay's chips
- One 20oz bottle of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite or water
- Single piece whole fruit
- Medium fountain soft drink or apple juice
Found right here on Intercot!:number1:Sorry not good with links. :blush:

We used all of our snack credits in Jan. 2008 and only once (3 Mickey Bars) did we use them on any of the listed items and we had a total of 44 snack credits. And we brought home a bag of Rice Krispy Treats.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-20-2008, 10:45 AM
We just used the DDP in May, and really had no problems. Liked others, I sure did gripe when they made changes, and wish that it still included appetizers and tips. Truth be told, we really had more than enough to eat, and tipping (which of course we did) was not mentioned once by our servers. Will use it again for our December anniversary trip because of the freedom and convenience of having it taken care of before we arrive.

Marker
06-20-2008, 11:01 AM
I'll be using the revised DDP for the first time in September, so we'll see how it goes. Honestly though, I'm not expecting ANY problems with it. YES, it's different than it used to be. NO, it's not the same value it was. I know the appetizer is not included, and I know I have to tip OOP. I did the math, I gave it consideration, and I decided I wanted to use it. So with all of that in mind, I really do not expect any difficulties with it.

I can't help but wonder if in a lot of cases, the problems lies more with the inflexability of people to adjust/accept the changes to the plan rather than with the plan itself. If you go in with a preconcieved dislike, and if you are looking for reasons to not like it, then undoubtedly you'll find reasons.

I know the details of the plan, I understand the costs, and I decided I wanted to use it. I made the choice, DIsney did not force me to use it, they merely offered it. So long as the DDP is delivered as advertised, I don't see that I would really have any reason to complain other than just simply for the sake of complaining about something.

henry.james.s
06-20-2008, 11:24 AM
:ditto:

"Doing" Disney and knowing all the angles takes some work & research. I've learnd a ton from going at least twice a year since 1984.
But you still need to do the homework while planning. What it does is make everything more relaxed and stress free your entire resort stay. Thats what I go there for..to relax. I always see stressed people during my trips and I really feel sorry for them. I don't let it happen by using good planning and taking surprises out of the picture.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I have a list of confirmed 2008 DDP snacks. I don't if I should post it here or start a new thread with it. It is a very long list! I was thinking of starting a new thread with it.

DisneyWhirled
06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
We just used the 2008 DP in May. I did not find a problem at all with the tip portion. Granted, I was not excited when they took the tip away in '08, but it was very easy to charge the tip to the room. Yes, there were quite a few receipts, but after a few TS, we had the hang of it. Not one waiter/waitress made mention of the tip not being on the plan.

We were very aware of the workings of the plan, so maybe that is why they did not go into detail about the tip piece.

We didn't really miss the appetizer (of course when it was included, you got more for your buck), and when we wanted one, we just ordered it. I think we only got an app at one TS meal.

After having used the DP several times, we are bittersweet about it. We love the restaurants we get to try (we wouldn't eat so many TS paying OOP) and the convenience of paying upfront. With that being said, our bitterness about the plan is that it governs your plans. We make all our ADRs in advance, and sometime while in one park or another, we may want to do something else but, alas, we have an ADR to go to.

Also, there is a lot of food, so after eating CS, TS and snacks, I am really not hungry to eat other yummy stuff (maybe that is a good thing!)

Next time we go, we are not going to do the DP and instead pay OOP, share CS meals, have two or three TS over the vacation, and try all the stuff I am not usually hungry for.

thumperbug
06-20-2008, 08:26 PM
We looked into various DDp and always decide to do OOP. We tend to do 1 sit down a day but kind of wing everything else. Some days we throw in a CS but we also tend to share 2 meals there among the 3 of us. Other days we snack here and there with no CS. Its really a personal preference. My experience on my last 2 trips this year (Feb & APril) was that the wait staff always ask if you are on a dining plan and when you say "no" they have a huge sigh of relief. Not sure why.

As for the tips not being included anymore in the plan...I think it is a mistake. It has been explained to me by several wait staff that they are losing money by no tip being included. The reason is that, in Europe...there is no tipping at restaurants. What we would normally tip in the U.S. is built into the salary of wait staff in Europe so many Europeans who go to Disney, do no know that the tips are extra.

pdrlkr
06-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Tried it once and never will again.

chicade88
06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
We felt really bad for one of the servers on our trip last month. At LTT, one of the families didn't know the tip wasn't included and the server mentioned it subtly (I don't remember how he did it but it was very tactful). The man absolutely blew up at him, saying how he was going to call AAA because that was one of the main selling points. We later overheard as they were leaving (and a bit more calm) that this was the first day of their trip so they hadn't really gotten into the swing of things yet. Thank God the man DID end up tipping the server. Overall though, it was very awkward to even watch, I can't imagine being the poor waiter.

bkfree
06-22-2008, 10:50 PM
On our first trip we did not use the DDP and only ate at two TS places.

On our second trip we did have the DDp and make an ADR for TS each day of our trip.
We are a family of 4. I kept all of the receipts and added them up once home versus the cost of the DDP. We saved over $500 with the DDP.
Even by paying the tip OOP, we still come out way ahead. We always use the TS for dinner to get the most bang for our buck and use the CS for breakfast or pay breakfast OOP.

We are going back in Dec and using the DDP.
I am not at all bothered by the dessert instead of appetizer change.
I rarely order dessert, but love it when I do. This will give me the go ahead to do just that.
If we want an appetizer, we usually share one any way ,so we will be happy to do this OOP.

I plan on taking an envelope of tip"cash" to solve that issue.

HndrdPrcnt
06-23-2008, 12:35 AM
We took advantage of the free DDP in Sept 2006 and it was wonderful!!! We ate like pigs and we enjoyed HDD as well as CA Grill and still had plenty of food!!

I know that when we go this Sept to once again take advantage of the free DDP that the plan will be different. However, when you are getting it for free, how can you complain??!!??

All of our ADRs are set and we are going to be eating like kings & queens!! Will it cost some money due to tips not being included, sure. Will it cost us as much as we would have spent if we did not have the plan? Heck no!!

88 days and counting!!!!!

LizLovesDiz
06-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Thank you for your posts.I have decided not to bother with the dining plan,that would drive me crazy!: crazy:

DisneyFan1979
06-24-2008, 10:25 AM
We are trying the DDP for the first time on our upcoming Sept trip, only because it's free. If it wasn't free it wouldn't be worth it to us because we are not big eaters. For example, our last trip was 6 nights and we did 4 TS meals (2 dinners and 2 character breakfasts). But, since it's free we're going to have fun and make the most of it - try new restaurants, try desserts that I won't feel bad only eating a bite or 2 of because I'm too full, etc!

Since, we're not the biggest eaters, we've planned on stretching the plan to the max. We often share CS meals (2 meals for 3 people), so we'll use the 1 leftover CS on breakfast and cut down on our out-of-pocket breakfast costs.

So, if you're on the DDP do you not get a receipt at the restaurant? Why are people confused about the tip? Did the receipt previously under the old DDP say tip included? I'm just thinking of a regular restaurant and how when you have a large party the tip will be included and that's explicitly stated on the receipt.

Momof2boys
06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
We have never taken the DDP in years prior because we felt it was too much food and with the AP Room Only Discount I didn't want to mess with packages and stuff. Now with being a DVC owner we are trying it in October. We normally eat some TS meals for lunch because it's less expensive so now we're excited about trying them at dinner. Plus without having the appetizers, meal, and dessert we think our family will be okay with the amount of food offered.

oliver&bianca
06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Totally agree with you about the 2008 DDP! We also returned from WDW (6/7 - 6/17). The whole tip thing was awkward. The servers felt the need to explain/apologize for the tip being separate and in addition to the meal. We also found that we were left setting there for a very long time because of the changes.

I doubt that we will use the DDP next time. We found that because the tip wasn't included, we were paying extra $ that we normally wouldn't have to pay. For example, we normally wouldn't get dessert (some of which was wasted because we were full). Therefore, the total bill $ was more and the tip percentage was more. Does that make sense? :sick:

Young@Heart
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
We're saving about $300 w/ the DDP. If we didn't have it, we would probably only do CS and maybe 1 TS, but we love character meals, and I'd be so disappointed if we couldn't do several of them. During our first trip, we only did 2 character meals and had to stick to a tight food budget. After experiencing the value (and all the great food!) on the DDP, DH said we can never do Disney w/out it. :mickey:

italiangrl.08
06-24-2008, 05:05 PM
We are planning to do the DDP in Jan again. As a family of 6 it says they automatically include a 18% tip. Is this true? I wonder if it will cost more without tips included than it would be to cut down on some TS meals and pay OOP.

maryt01
06-24-2008, 05:10 PM
we always use the dp. never had a problem. it still stinks that it does not include tip. appatizers i can do without.

disneygeek84
06-24-2008, 05:59 PM
We've done the DDP twice before and didn't like it much. We're not big eaters, so all that food made me sick by the end of the second trip. The only reason we did it the first time was because my husband and I were on our honeymoon and we didn't want to have to worry about taking enough money with us, and we wanted to do some special TS since it was our honeymoon. We got to eat at places that otherwise we couldn't have afforded (California Grille, Coral Reef, etc.) so that was nice. And then the second time we used it my parents decided it was best because we were taking some of my sisters friends and we didn't want them to have to worry about having enough money for the trip.

We weren't going to use it this year when we went because it takes up alot of touring time and it truly is so much more food than we would normally eat, but when they announced Free Dining again this year, we couldn't pass it up. I'll sacrifice some time and energy to get free food. And like someone else said, I won't feel guilty if I don't finish eating all my food because I didn't pay for it anyway :mickey:

disneyboundagain
06-25-2008, 03:35 PM
We just used the DDP last weekend. We have our Dec trip already booked, and although I did not originally include the DDP, I am going to add it. It probably saves us money, but I don't keep track because it doesn't matter to me. We like it for the convenience.

We did learn something very important on our last trip about the DDP. Tips are not included, and we knew that. I'm not sure if it is intentional, but on three different occasions, the server brought us the bill BEFORE we gave them our room card. There was a place to fill in the tip, so I did. After they took my card, they brough back the slip for me to sign, and there was ANOTHER place to add a tip. If I was not paying attention, we may have very well paid the tip twice. If stay soley on the plan, this would be very obvious. But, we also bought drinks, appetizers, and a child meal for DS2 that didn't qualify for the DDP, so our bill included both the tip and other items.

Soul_Power
06-25-2008, 09:15 PM
We used the dining plan on our first trip last year, and were disappointed to find out the changes that were made to it for this year. After reading many opinions about the 2008 plan, though, we are still convinced that we will use it for our future trips. We like the convenience of paying for our food upfront (with the exception of the tip). It's one less thing to worry about and our money could be spent on souvenirs rather than our food! :mickey:

It all works case by case, though. It works for some people and it doesn't for others..