PDA

View Full Version : Are you tipping with the DDE card?

BriarRose
06-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I was wondering now that the mandatory 18% gratuity is in place, is anyone tipping above the gratuity or calling it good?

I did post this question last year when it was announced, but now that it is in effect was wondering what you actually did. Sometimes we say we are going to do one thing but do another when the time comes.

ibrowse17
06-17-2008, 09:03 PM
I figure Disney put this in place for a reason, so who am I to argue. They get the 18%, and that is it.:thumbsup:

Jarrod
06-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Our experience with it so far has been that the cast member gives great service when they find out we are using the DDE I guess because they plan to earn the tip. I was concerned they would underperform knowing they had the tip regardless, but so far that has not been the case. We have given in excess of the 18% only on a few occasions when the service was exemplary, or when we had a small order.

The one problem we did have (only at San Angel) was that we were on the DDP, but they would not accept the DDE for the additional appetizers and Alcoholic drinks we ordered. All other restaurants accepted it with no question. I even semi-argued with the waitress and sent her to verify with the manager. But the answer stayed the same. Hmmm? Not sure why.

PetefromRI
06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I think that 18% is ample.It seems like when everyone goes to Disney they act as if you have to tip different than any other place in the world.15-20% is the guide line for tipping everywhere.I think that alot of people from other countries don't tip because where they're from you don't tip so by implementing the 18%,the waitstaff doesn't take it on the chin.

Natazu
06-17-2008, 10:22 PM
We tip completely according to the service. It they're worth 25%, that's what they get. If they're worth less than 18%, I'll talk to a manager and make arrangements to leave less. That's pretty rare though.

SurferStitch
06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
We left an additional tip at some meals, and stayed with the 18% at others.

Tom at Narcoossee's is an amazing server, and has been giving us incredible service for years now. We gave him an additional tip so the total would be 25%. We also left extra at 'Ohana (dinner), Le Cellier and the GF Cafe during a couple breakfasts.

We've never gotten service that warranted less than 18% (actually, the one time I can remember was our extremely rude server at Citricos in 2005), and to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to complain if we did (unless it was truly horrible service). I also have no problem with the 18% at buffets, and don't mind it being included with the bill at all. We've gotten excellent service at all buffets.

AHOTE
06-17-2008, 11:37 PM
The one problem we did have (only at San Angel) was that we were on the DDP, but they would not accept the DDE for the additional appetizers and Alcoholic drinks we ordered. All other restaurants accepted it with no question. I even semi-argued with the waitress and sent her to verify with the manager. But the answer stayed the same. Hmmm? Not sure why.

This is good to know, we plan to use the DDP & DDE together and San Angel is one of our ADR's and it may influence our plans a little. I'll certainly "ask" about it before we order. Maybe we'll be lucky and get a server & manager who'll accept both.
As for tipping, our appetizers & drinks will be covered on the DDE card and our tip on the DDP will be based solely on our servers' knowledge, demeanor and attentiveness. In all the years we've been going to WDW I have only had one server who was out and out rude and he got no tip and a strong message from the restaurant manager.

sillyolbear
06-18-2008, 08:25 AM
I've added an extra tip to bring the total up to 20% more times than not under the new system. We eat at mostly signature restaurants for our table service meals and service has continued to be overall very good.

Maleficent's Dad
06-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Very good points above...

Disney implemented the "mandatory" 18%, so in most cases that is what the server will get. However, if the service is exemplary, they will get more, and if it's that horrible, we would say something to the manager (although this has only occurred once in our experiences).

DDuck66
06-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I usually leave an extra tip if the service is really good or we are at a regular TS restaurant. I normally tip 20% for good service and 25% for excellent service. If we are eating at a buffet, I usually just stick with the 18% unless they are really good.

Aggie97
06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
At a buffet, we generally leave just the 18%. We have received great-to-exemplary service at the non-buffet TS restaurants we've dined at since getting the DDE card, so we've left 20-25%, just as we would for comparable service at home. :mickey:

henry.james.s
06-18-2008, 10:12 PM
20% for superb sevice..and that's the norm at the Signature TS spots.
The only "indifferent" service I've ever experienced was at the Yachtsman..I still left a tip but spoke to the manager.

RALPH
06-19-2008, 07:46 AM
I am curious about your poor experience at YS. Our favorite waiter "Lil John" and "Cathy" are regulars there. We ask for them by name. They usually get 25% they are so good. This is a common problem I have heard about this place. Because we ask for these 2 servers by name and one of them is usually there, we have avoided this issue. Would you mind detailing what your poor service issue was? I am curious.

TheRustyScupper
06-19-2008, 08:05 AM
I figure Disney put this in place for a reason, so who am I to argue. They get the 18%, and that is it.:thumbsup:

yep.

henry.james.s
06-19-2008, 06:10 PM
I am curious about your poor experience at YS. Our favorite waiter "Lil John" and "Cathy" are regulars there. We ask for them by name. They usually get 25% they are so good. This is a common problem I have heard about this place. Because we ask for these 2 servers by name and one of them is usually there, we have avoided this issue. Would you mind detailing what your poor service issue was? I am curious.

It was in Dec of 2006..
It started with taking my drink order after I was seated..15 minutes to get a Iced Tea & water. Then when I placed the order the server said they'd be right back with bread etc. It never did until I asked for it when the meal came. Also no refill on the tea. Then the topper was when I ordered the desert. The server came back 10 minutes later and asked if I 'd like to see the desert menu.
That's when I asked for the manager. :mad:
Of course he was very apologetic but I've only been back there once since.
I go to WDW alot and the Signature resturants in particular and NEVER had an experience like that night.

RALPH
06-19-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm sorry you experienced that. If you ever get brave enough to try again, specifically request the two wait staff that I mentioned. On a scale of 10 they are 12's. You think about needing something and they are there. I too would have been very unhappy.

We have eaten there 15 times and have been thrilled with the service. But then we get YS's best. We have two more ADR's for August. Guess who we will ask for.

henry.james.s
06-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I've got a ADR in Dec for YS and I'll as for the servers you mentioned. I hope they'll be there.
Give them a heads up for me if you think of it.
Thanks for the tip and your concern!! :thumbsup:
I love WDW and I know this isn't the norm since I've been there 50+ times since 84.