PDA

View Full Version : Ohana menu change

GrumpyFan
06-17-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure when this happened, it may be old news. But, we ate at Ohana last Thursday (6/12), and noticed a few changes. First, they have bread again. It's not the same as before, but still good. I think it's got a touch of pineapple flavor to it. Second, the shrimp is back on the skewers, apparently replacing the pork sausage. It has a special barbeque-like sauce/rub that's a little spicy but definitely good. Third, the scalloped potatoes have been replaced with an asian style noodles with vegetables. I tried my best to find something good about them, but IMHO, they were a sad replacement for the potatoes. Everything else though, was great.

IloveDisney71
06-17-2008, 03:27 PM
I had heard that they had taken the potatoes off the menu. When I told my oldest DD, she was very sad...they were her favorite thing on the menu.

GrumpyFan
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
I had heard that they had taken the potatoes off the menu. When I told my oldest DD, she was very sad...they were her favorite thing on the menu.

Apparently, a lot of people are upset about it. Our server said it was the second version of the noodles and that they haven't been getting good reviews. So, cross your fingers, and maybe they'll bring them back.

Brinkz
06-18-2008, 09:57 AM
So shrimp is back on the menu? For sure?

:number1:

That's fab news!!! It was on the menu the last time i was in Florida, 2004, and all i ate was shrimp and sirloin. I'm back again this coming September and had opted out of eating at Ohana because they'd replaced the shrimp with sausage - think i might need to change my mind!

Mulan
06-18-2008, 10:22 AM
I too am sad to hear about the potatoes. If people keep complaining than maybe they will come back. I understand that they need to change the menu sometimes, but we love everything there. I just wish that they would bring back the wontons that they had for appetizers. They were AWESOME!

Shugoondola
06-18-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the potatoes. :( They were still served back in January and I filled up on those. I was glad the shrimp were back on the skewers.

:mickey:

Coach48
06-18-2008, 12:56 PM
I too am sad to hear about the potatoes. If people keep complaining than maybe they will come back. I understand that they need to change the menu sometimes, but we love everything there. I just wish that they would bring back the wontons that they had for appetizers. They were AWESOME!
Bring back the potatoes and the wontons !

GrumpyFan
06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
So shrimp is back on the menu? For sure?

The Shrimp never left the menu. They just took them off the skewers and baked them in the oven. They would bring them to you in a bowl. Now, they're cooking them on skewers on the grill an bring them to your table that way.

Bring back the potatoes and the wontons !

They still have the wontons, just not the potatoes.

#1disneyfan
06-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I know I will probably get slammed for this, but I really disliked the potatoes! I cannot tolerate onions, so they were not an option for me. So I look forward to any alternatives they may come up with, but they have to be good and tasty!!

I am glad to hear that there is shrimp back on the skewers, my DD loves shrimp!

We have ressies there in August, can't wait to see how it has changed since the last time we ate there, which was over 2 years ago.

disney323
06-18-2008, 01:54 PM
I want my potatoes, the shrimp were still good even in the bowl. I hope they did not take the sausage off, thats was good also.

laprana
06-18-2008, 02:27 PM
I hope they did not take the sausage off, thats was good also.

No more sausage. That was gone, too, when we ate there on June 7. I did miss the potatoes!! The noodles were pretty terrible...soggy, mushy, and little to no flavor. They've replaced the wontons with pork dumplings, which I didn't really like, but my DBF said he thought they were pretty good. I didn't try the shrimp (just can't get past their little legs still hanging on! :ack:). Everything else was great, though, especially the steak, turkey, and banana bread pudding for dessert! :tasty: That dessert is enough to keep me coming back! :D

elmjimmlm
06-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Apparently, a lot of people are upset about it. Our server said it was the second version of the noodles and that they haven't been getting good reviews. So, cross your fingers, and maybe they'll bring them back.

I hope they will figure it out before Dec...

GrumpyFan
06-18-2008, 04:27 PM
The noodles were pretty terrible...soggy, mushy, and little to no flavor. They've replaced the wontons with pork dumplings, which I didn't really like, but my DBF said he thought they were pretty good.

Agreed, the noodles were soggy, mushy and almost flavorless. I liked the dumplings, but not quite as much as the wontons.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I hope they will figure it out before Dec...
Me, too! I'm excited about DH eating there for the first time, and want it to be great like it was when I've gone. Will miss the potatoes!
Not big on noodles.

cinderellagrl
06-18-2008, 11:13 PM
oh no not the potatoes, those were the one thing that my family constantly had to ask for more of! They were sooo yummy. NO NOODLES, ick! I hope they bring back those dang potatoes!

McGoofy
06-20-2008, 05:40 PM
It seems that almost everyone is upset over the potatoes being gone, but please don't let that discourage you from dining at Ohanas. May 31 was the first time that I had ever had dinner at Ohanas. I cannot compare it to the old Ohana's dinner, but with our dining experience for that meal, it was my family's favorite meal the entire week. Yes, there are no potatoes, but if you can get past that fact, the rest of the meal is absolutely divine!:cloud9: Here is a picture (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2604058640101825575BJRJOD) of the pork pot stickers and chicken wings. That alone is very tasty and extremely filling! Also, here is how the shrimp (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2344164190101825575McdGtF)comes out! I know most people don't like change, but even with the one missing menu item, the dining experience was still phenomenal. I give this meal a :thumbsup:. We are planning to eat there again when we go back in November.

January-2007
06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Do the shrimp come already pealed or are they still the peal and eat variety? I loved the shrimp when we were there last September so I hope the skewered kind are as good as before. We'll be dining there in October. Can't wait!

McGoofy
06-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Do the shrimp come already pealed or are they still the peal and eat variety? I loved the shrimp when we were there last September so I hope the skewered kind are as good as before. We'll be dining there in October. Can't wait!

Yes, the shrimp are still served with the peels on (see upper left corner of DS's plate for pic) (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2657646810101825575kGdlBI) The shell and tails are on, but lucky for you, somebody else took the heads off for you!;)

Just Keep Swimming
06-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I have always loved O'Hana's and am very torn about the menu changes . Even though they are individually good, I did not enjoy my meal as a whole. There were two major issues I had that will probably keep me away in the future

1st is almost everything on the menu now has a sweet taste or sauce. When the meal started, I loved the slightly sweet bread, and thought the new dumplings, with their sweet sauce were one of the best things on the menu, but add the very sweet salad dressing, the slightly sweet noodles (that I also loved) and the sweet taste of the chicken wings, and I was beginning to feel "off." Then when the meat came, I found the shrimp too spicy to eat without wiping each one off (my two girls who LOVE seafood wouldn't even eat them) and the other meats to be very dry. The only option, dipping them in sauce which 2 out of three had a sweet underlying taste. By the time the bread pudding came--something I had been looking forward to since our last visit--I could barely eat any. Even though I ate a full meal, I left feeling unsatisfied.

My 2nd issue goes back to the shrimp. I know everybody loves it, but I have a son with seafood allergies. When the cook came out, he told us our son could eat anything except the skewers brought around. Our waitress would bring special skewers that would not have touched the shrimp. This seemed like a good idea, except that our waitress was also given several other tables including one very big one, and never brought meat. There was also no indication at our table that somebody had an allergy, so every time someone came by with meat, we had to make sure and catch them before they got to my son. As soon as we told them, they would walk away, but my son still didn't have meat. Finally, our waitress came by with one skewer of turkey and gave him a piece. She was obviously so over-worked we finally gave up and ordered him chicken fingers off the children's menu, so he could eat as well.

This is the only time we've ever had a problem on Disney property in regards to my son's allergies. I am really hoping they find a better system for the skewers.

Of course even if they do, there would need to be food changes or I am really going to miss O'Hana's. . It still has some of the best food. I honestly would be happy if they just maybe gave choices for the salad and added something that was not sweet.

jpH/keD
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
:confused: We ate there in Nov 07. Why don't I remember the potatoes? I most certainly would have eaten them? Did they only have them for dinner? We had breakfast and lunch there??
Very sad, now I won't be able to experience them at all!