PDA

View Full Version : OCD advice

alex61821
06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
our ds age 13 is developing signs of obsessive complusive disorder and i went to talk to a therapist today to talk about how to deal with it. i do not know anything about the disorder other than what i have seen on TV. i do not know what will happen from here. i am not sure how to convince him that he needs help that his parents are not capable of giving him. this fella pretty much sums it all up :confused:

KineGirl
06-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Of course Im no professional....

I have a cousin who has dealt with some serious OCD issues and the only thing I know for sure is the your son probably needs therapy before it gets out of hand. Usually, from what I understand, its of the behavioral sort. For example, if its a germ phobia the therapist may have them make a sandwich on a counter top & eat it to show that they will be ok or even if its unusual like "if I dont turn the lights on & off 5 times before I leave something will happen to my Mom" - they have them go through all the motions to show them the fear is unfounded as well as any psychological issues the person may have. Even though its scary to watch them go through panic attacks when theyre not allowed to be OC, it does them no favors to "help"them with it either. Of course, again this is not advice (seek that from a pro) just what I witnessed. My cousin still slightly struggles after being allowed and even helped to go completely OC by her Mom until she was 22, and then therapy for 1 year or so but she is so much happier and def much less OC.

Hang in there :hug:

citizensnoopy
06-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey there,

Maybe I can shed a little more light on this condition. OCD is one of the primary anxiety disorders. It consists of two components --- obsessions and compulsions. Obsessions are recurrent, intrusive thoughts (such as, "Did I lock the door?" or "Did I set my alarm?"). These obsessions cause increasing anxiety in the patient. Compulsions are repetitive behaviors that a person does to relieve the anxiety caused by the obsessions (such as checking the front door lock, checking the alarm clock, or washing hands). Some people have obsession-dominant OCD (meaning that only experience obsessions and not compulsions). Some people have the opposite --- compulsion-dominant OCD. The majority (about 75%) experience BOTH obsessions and compulsions.

Many people with OCD will respond well to therapy. Options include medication (usually antidepressants like SSRIs or tricyclic antidepressants), behavioral therapy (regularly meeting with a psychiatrist to learn relaxation techniques and undergo exposure therapy to decrease the obsessions/compulsions), or both.

Let me know if you have questions!

alex61821
06-17-2008, 04:36 PM
it seems that we are at the hand washing stage of things and extreme fear of germs. he doesnt seem to do any other behaviors that i know of but then i dont really know what to look for.

crazypoohbear
06-18-2008, 09:34 AM
At 13 years old while it could very well be OCD related it could just as easily be teen related. At 13 kids go through all kinds of changes. Maybe, and I'm just saying MAYBE he could just be worried about his looks, acne, maybe someone he knows or heard about died from some germ related illness. At 13 he could have realized he developed that certain body oder that comes with puberty. I'm not saying it is not OCD or that you should not seek proffessional help, all I am saying is that we as a society (myself included) go to the worst case scenerio right away.
Good luck with DS and please keep us posted.
My only advice is don't go overboard but don't go underboard either. Great advice huh???

MsMin
06-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Actually there are two forms of OCD ... OCD personality disorder and OCD. The personality disorder you see individuals who are more perfectionistic and preoccupied with orderliness.We don't give a PD label on anyone who is under 18 b/c these are supposed to be life long ingrained traits. These individuals have to have everything structured, sticks to routines, likes things clean and orderly etc. Sometimes they do develop full blown OCD.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder on the other hand is more extreme in nature. But mind you like all labels or diagnosis in mental health they fall on a continuum. Just because you have the traits they could be mild and very manageable.
Obsessions are the recurrent thoughts, ideas and beliefs that dominate a person's mind. Even though these thoughts can be unrealistic they are unable to control those thoughts or beliefs.
An example may be that a child may think they will not wake up if they don't turn their light off and on 33x's before getting into bed. See how the unrealistic belief (I'll die or not wake up if I don't do this) and the compulsion -- the actual act or behavior. They are often woven together. Yes, there are variants with some that are more obsessive and others more compulsive but I don't break them into two groups. Basically think of it as thoughts and behaviors. This brings us to therapy. IMO Cognitive-Behavioral therapy is best. Something to address the thoughts and behaviors. This is in addition to medication. I do believe that medication combined with therapy works best or at least that is what research tells us.
Today we are so limited by what insurance will pay for.
As for you as a parent, most often a therapist will invite you in for a session or two to help you understand your child's needs. I can't promise this or say that a "good therapist" would b/c it depends on what your child's needs are and the # of sessions that are available.
Personally, I see a child in therapy as a group in a little dingy at sea. If I see one and make changes with one then I am disrupting the whole boat... so everyone can get involved. I use an analogy b/c using examples can get a little complicated.
So relax, it sounds like you are doing all you can. :thumbsup: The therapist will let you know what is needed but needs time to make those assessments.
Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Marilyn Michetti
06-18-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't know much about this, and am anxious to read the entire thread when I have more time.

Maybe it's just a teen "phase". Girls get a little that way during their early teens. We'll just pray that your DS doesn't have a serious problem.

Gotta run for now, but I want to follow this.

pink
06-18-2008, 07:54 PM
When I was about 12-16 years old I had extreme OCD. I would touch things over and over again until it felt right, nothing could touch each other, everything had a special place and it had to be in that place. I also used to think that if I didn't do these things my boyfriend would break up with me or I would get sick. I told my parents but they never cared enough to get my help because they thought I was just acting out. I'm perfectly fine today and do some compulsions every once and awhile and I'm still a complete germapobic but I can control it to a reasonable level. I just had to push through it on my own and teach myself that these were irrational thoughts. I applaude you for recognizing the signs in your child and I think you should have her checked by a doctor. Good luck. :mickey:

MsMin
06-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know much about this, and am anxious to read the entire thread when I have more time.
Maybe it's just a teen "phase". Girls get a little that way during their early teens. We'll just pray that your DS doesn't have a serious problem.
Gotta run for now, but I want to follow this.

It does seem to get worse with the teens years. Like most anxiety problems the more you focus on it the more ingrained it can become. And with many instances w/ mental health the earlier you address it the better the prognosis.
I do think that today there is more emphasis on germ awareness and teens do soak this up like a sponge.

tinkerbellybutton
06-21-2008, 11:58 AM
It does seem to get worse with the teens years. Like most anxiety problems the more you focus on it the more ingrained it can become. And with many instances w/ mental health the earlier you address it the better the prognosis.
I do think that today there is more emphasis on germ awareness and teens do soak this up like a sponge.

Growing up my mom would wash her hands untill they would bleed. It got worse after my brother passed away, stress I guess. I myself have an incredible germ phobia and am constantly using my hand gel etc. I won't eat things that others cook, etc. Counseling helped to an extent but I still have to have three paper towels from the dispenser in the little girls room :blush: It's important that you aknowledge it and are helping him and as MsMin said, it seems to get worse during the teen years. Let him know that he's not a weirdo, you'd be surprised at how you feel you are different when you notice no one else cares if they use a towel to shut off the water.

alex61821
07-01-2008, 05:48 PM
still trying to get a handle on the issue, we have an appt in august for him to see a child psychologist. he seems to be able to control his compulsions when he is away from the home, better than he can when he is at home. if we go out to eat he will only wash his hands once before he eats, at home it is 3 times. I can only wonder what going to school must be like for him.

murphy1
07-06-2008, 01:16 PM
I have had some OCD issues and luckily as I've gotten older they have gotten better. I really think it's great you are getting him some help for these issues. I don't have the germ thing, I primarily had this thing where I had to count or do things a certain number of times. I also had to do weird things like if I walked starting on my left foot I had to end on my right. I knew it was stupid, but I had to do it in my head. Like I said, it was more of an issue when I was younger. There is a study that shows people with some form of OCD have a lot of different brain make-up than a normal looking brain. It can just be a lot of wasted energy and there is no shame in admitting it and getting help. I am a perfectionist big time, too. Have you seen the movie The Aviator?? It deals with a lot of Howard Hughes' OCD.