PDA

View Full Version : NYC--TKTS booths?

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
06-17-2008, 11:55 AM
My family is headed to NYC in mid-July. We want to see a couple of musicals on Broadway. We have a list of shows we would like to see and the plan is to go to the TKTS booth the day we want to go and hope to get tickets to one of the shows on our list. Can anyone tell me what kind of discount is usually offered? If there are two of us in line, will we be able to get 4 tickets? Does this seem like a reasonable plan? This is our first time in NYC, but both my teenage kids are HUGE theatre fans so we really want to be able to see some shows. Thanks in advance!!

rflorek
06-17-2008, 12:53 PM
I've only ever purchased a pair of tickets from the TKTS both, so I'm not sure of any limitations as far as purchasing 4 tickets. I've always gotten a 50% off discount, usually mezzanine/balcony tickets. Remember, CASH ONLY.

Have fun & good luck!

NotaGeek
06-17-2008, 01:13 PM
You can buy up to 4 tickets per person ... so you should be fine. Shows are random and can change every day. Normally the discounts are 50% off with $4 service charge per ticket. You can check out the official site (http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56) and see what shows were offered last week. Have fun!

TheDuckRocks
06-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info Michael!
We're going on a cruise that docks at the Manhattan pier and are extending our trip to include a Broadway musical and have been wondering how to go about getting tickets. I should have known someone here on Intercot would have answers.
Now the only other thing I'm wondering is if we should take a taxi or arrange for the Supershuttle from JFK to the Hilton.

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I am also wondering about getting from airport to Manhattan, but we're flying in to La Guardia. Also...where is the best place to get information about Broadway shows? I have two kids, ages 12 and 16 who are both HUGE theater nuts, but I want to be sure any shows we go to are appropriate for the younger one. I know about most of the well-known shows, but there are a couple that look kind of interesting and I'd like to find out more. I wish they had ratings on them like movies!

Kidsmom
06-19-2008, 05:34 PM
For the airport....
you go to the taxi stand (usually a long line, but it moves fast). There is a fixed price for the airport to the different sections of manhatten. You will know the price when you get in line. I haven't done it in a while (I go by train, but I think from la Guidia (sp?) it is around $35- $40).

TheDuckRocks
06-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Thank you, Kidsmom! I'm so glad to hear about the signs. I figured that we would probably get the taxi driver that would take us via Albany and as stupid out of towners we wouldn't know any better.:blush: