PDA

View Full Version : Willie Randolph Fired

Scar
06-17-2008, 09:12 AM
{Abbreviated article}

Mets name Manuel interim manager
Randolph, two coaches let go after win over Angels
By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com

ANAHEIM -- What took months to develop and weeks to transpire has now become official. The Mets dismissed Willie Randolph and two coaches early Tuesday morning, bringing an abrupt end to the speculation that had enveloped the team all month.

Bench coach Jerry Manuel has assumed duties as interim manager.

Roughly two hours after their 9-6 win over the Angels, the Mets announced that Randolph, pitching coach Rick Peterson and first-base coach Tom Nieto had been relieved of their duties. Triple-A New Orleans manager Ken Oberkfell has joined the Major League staff, presumably as the new bench coach, and New Orleans pitching coach Dan Warthen has assumed that same role with the Mets. Field coordinator Luis Aguayo has also joined the Major League staff.

The Mets will hold a formal press conference at Angel Stadium on Tuesday afternoon at 5 ET.

Randolph had battled rumors throughout the past month that his job was in jeopardy, and those whispers had grown into murmurs during the team's most recent homestand. Various reports stated that Randolph's job security had withered to nothing, and though general manager Omar Minaya twice lauded his manager's work, he gave no guarantees that Randolph would still have a job in the immediate future.

Now the immediate future has arrived, and Randolph is unemployed.

joanna71985
06-17-2008, 10:23 AM
WHAT??!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!:(:crying:

PirateLover
06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't get the timing at all. Why not do it before they started their trip out west? And the announcement came at like 3am. Very odd. But seriously, everyone knew it was coming... just a matter of when.

Stickey
06-17-2008, 04:30 PM
The unprofessional manner in which this situation was handled by Mets management was pathetic. A credible organization would have fired Willie after last season, or would have done so this year without the day-to-day drama.

Willie is a solid baseball man with championship experience. Evidently these traits do not fit in with the personalities of those in Mets management. The Mets should have hired Larry Bowa to motivate this group of underachievers.

Coach48
06-18-2008, 07:31 AM
While I do feel bad for him,Willie got what he had coming.You can't fire the players so the mgr. is always the one to go.I have been a die-hard Mets fan for 40 yrs and I have to say that this is the biggest bunch of underachivers since Bonilla,Coleman and Saberhagen.Bill Parcells once said "you are what your record says you are" and in ths case the Mets are a 500 team at best.

DisneyGiant
06-20-2008, 08:23 PM
This Yankee fan was very disappointed in how they treated Willie.

Especially after a win. Ridiculous.

ibrowse17
06-21-2008, 08:50 AM
What a lack of class. I hope the GM gets the ax next:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
What does it shock anyone how the Mets handled this??? They have never beeen a classy organization... The Wilpons are as dumb as bricks... Minaya isn't the great GM he was cracked up to be...You think Willie was going to be fired in a classy way??? Nah.. Not in this organization's M.O...

I am not a Met fan and never will be... I can never root for them to win anything until the Wilpons realize how brain dead they are and decide to get out of owning a baseball team... And I thought Doubleday was the complete moron owning that team... It was the Wilpons all along...

Classless, extremely classless... Bring back Bobby Valentine... Just add to their classless ways...

Sad thing is, I'd rather root for the Red Sox in a World Series than the Mets, and I could never ever root for the Red Sox lol...

DisneyGiant
06-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Sad thing is, I'd rather root for the Red Sox in a World Series than the Mets, and I could never ever root for the Red Sox lol...

Wow - I don't know who'd I root for in that scenario. I guess it would be for the worst ratings in TV History?

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow - I don't know who'd I root for in that scenario. I guess it would be for the worst ratings in TV History?

Nah... NY'ers would watch, as would Bostonians.. Ratings wouldn't be all that bad... However, until the Mets organization shows some class, I hope they remain winless.... Met fans deserve better...