PDA

View Full Version : Shopping discounts

Ropachs
06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I don't like to have many credit cards (I currently have 2) but am considering opening a Disney Visa before our trip to use the discount. Then again, I don't know if it's worth the hassle to only save 10% and only at World of Disney. Can you use this Visa for discounts elsewhere? Are they any other ways to get a shopping discount at WOD? I've heard about the same 10% from AAA, we're not a member of that either. Thanks!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-16-2008, 02:26 PM
The only other way of getting a discount at WOD would be a passholder or a CM, aside from the AAA.

For the Disney Card, unless you spend a lot of money, I don't think it's worth it to have. I have it and I never use it. So it takes forever to collect the money to use - it's $1 per $100. Plus, it also has a rather high interest rate - I believe mine is about 15-20% but since I use it so rarely I'm not positive.

I'm someone who also doesn't like credit cards period. Some people on here will definately have different opinions on it than mine.

KylesMom
06-16-2008, 02:56 PM
We have a Disney Visa and find it is very worthwhile for us - but not for the discounts it gives us. Rather, it is the only credit card we use (for gas, car repairs, groceries, bills, etcetera) for reward dollar purposes, and we pay it off religiously each month. We'll have over $365 in rewards dollars built up over the past year to utilize during our upcoming vacation. If you have no other means for the 10% off at WoD (we have A/P & AAA also), it might not be a bad thing to apply for. However, the bigger benefit is the rewards dollars over time.

Jessica is right - the interest is silly-high, so you don't want to carry a balance on this card!

MickeyandTink
06-16-2008, 02:56 PM
In addition to the discount at WOD, you can also attend a special "meet and greet" with Mickey and the gang at Epcot. You receive a free 5x7 photo with it. You also can get early access to some of the discount promotions, such as free dining, as a card holder.

Having said that, if we didn't already have the card I probably wouldn't get it. We never use it except for the above reasons, as I find we get better rewards (for us, anyway) with one of our other cards.

sisterdisco
06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Last I saw an ad, they were offering $40 in Disney Dollars when you opened an account. You can get the card and cancel it after your trip if you want.

My DH saved about $24 on the Dive Quest Tour. I believe that you get 10-20% off of Tours.

pook@wdw
06-16-2008, 07:53 PM
We use the DV card for just about everything to earn the points. They have really done us right over the years. Recently, we received an update to a courtyard view and got a $200 reduction off our package for being a DV card holder. And we pay off the balance each month to avoid the interest rates. It works for us.:thumbsup:

Donald's Girl
06-16-2008, 09:04 PM
And you can charge your package to the card with no payment no interest for 6 months and receive the appropriate reward dollars to use on that trip!
I think (for anyone who is a Disney fanatic!) it is the best card out there! We also use it for everything, pay it off and accumulate lots of dollars for our trips!

Zippy 1
06-16-2008, 10:09 PM
We use our DV to pay all our DD skating expenses. We rack up the dollars rather quickly. I also like some of the promos lately - 5x points for spending on certain things in a month. We also have a very good interest rate. Can't wait for our next adventure to DW:mickey:

Ropachs
06-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info - turns out the in-laws have the AAA card, so perhaps I can try to use that at WOD. I do have the free $40 offer, but still am thinking it's not worth the trouble of cancelling it later, etc. But then again, I'll probably change my mind tomorrow! LLBean or Disney, what a terrible decision to make! ;)

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I have one but only use it for Disney purchases. I book our trip with it so that I get the 6 months 0% APR. I pay the bill in 6 even payments. I also like being able to get the 5x7 photo with Mickey and friends. I'll also be using it to get the 20% off on tours this time. Using it at World of Disney last year saved us over $30.

It really depends on what you want to use the card for. We never leave a balance on any of our credit cards to worry about getting the finance charges. We use it for it's benefits at WDW.

TinkerbellT421
06-17-2008, 03:59 PM
They also have the promotions during certain times (Me and DBF were able to use it for the January 08 trip), we got a free upgrade for our vacation package, we only had to buy 4 day base tickets and we received the free upgrade to 4 day PH W/ magic your way that included 4 days at DQ, PI & the WP's. SO they do have good promotions thru disney for vacations.

EeyoresBestFriend
06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Since you are living my dream of being a CM, maybe you can clarify for me the AAA thing.
When we were there in the Spring, I was informed my Canadian AA was not acceptable for the discount unless I have proof that I booked the vacation thru CAA. Two CM's told me that Canadians don't get the discount even if we have annual passes ?!?:(
I hope they were misinformed - I did not press the issue - after all, with everything I spend to get and be in FLorida - the 10% isn't a huge issue, but would be a nice perk!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-18-2008, 12:54 AM
No, as far as I know, WOD does not accept the CAA. Because it's not AAA.

However, any passholder should get the discount. To which they may have been misinformed.

And I may not be a CM much longer....but that's a story for a different thread.

AdventurerKim
06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
We got a Disney Visa when they first came out and love it! We charge as much as we can to rack up Disney dollars which we use on our Nov. trips which always nearly pays for food. We've used the discount at WOD and on DisneyShopping.com for discounts. Plus, we have gotten at least three free pictures at WDW and DL! If you go to Disney at least once a year, a Disney Visa is very worthwhile! :mickey:

KylesMom
06-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info - turns out the in-laws have the AAA card, so perhaps I can try to use that at WOD. Just a heads up that I logged onto the AAA website today, and there were no Disney store discounts (retail in the local mall or at Disney World) where they listed a discount available under their discount partners. You may want to check into this further to ensure that the AAA discount is a valid course of action. We've always used our A/P or Disney Visa discount, so I can't confirm if it was something offered in the past.

Young@Heart
06-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Just a heads up that I logged onto the AAA website today, and there were no Disney store discounts (retail in the local mall or at Disney World) where they listed a discount available under their discount partners. You may want to check into this further to ensure that the AAA discount is a valid course of action. We've always used our A/P or Disney Visa discount, so I can't confirm if it was something offered in the past.

We always get 10% off at WOD w/ our AAA card, if we spend $50 or more. This is a great savings for us, since we do a lot of shopping at this store. Of couse, we also save by booking our vacation package through AAA. :mickey: