PDA

View Full Version : Four months to go, freaked out already about flying

BlueDorrie
06-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm embarrassed about being mildly phobic about flying. I go through this everytime I go to Disney (or any trip that involves a plane). I have very mild attacks occasionally up to the day of the trip and then I'm okay after an hour into the flight. I seem to handle the prospect of the return trip home better than I do going.

I must be nuts!

Tygger7
06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I have a very bad phobia of flying. We decided to fly to AZ a few years ago to visit with family, and I talked to my doctor to see if there was anything I could take to make me "less stressed". I can't remember what he prescribed, but it worked great. I just took 2 pills about an hour before boarding and I was a happy camper. Definitely talk to your family doctor. No sense putting yourself through all the stress when there's help available.

Good luck!!

jrkcr
06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I also don't like flying much. I think we are the normal ones! I don't even KNOW the person flying the plane-why should I trust their abilities? So for me, it is a trust issue....

But I loved flying when I was younger, in the Air Force I flew quit a bit-and had some less than smooth flights, which I just laughed off! Once in a twin prop, we were out over the Pacific and one of our props stopped, we cut the engine and coasted in....hahaha. And once I was in a 2 seater Cessna, and left my seatbelt buckle out the door. And when we were flying, it started clanking on the side of the plane-we thought we were loosing parts! Good times, good times....:funny:

But for about 15 years now, I always sit by whomever is my youngest kid, and play the role of "extra seatbelt, in case we crash". Yeah, my arm across their lap will help hold them in. All of my DD's know it is for my peace of mind, not theirs, so they just let me out of pity. :blush:

I find that pretending to sleep works for me. As soon as we start to back out of the gate, I close my eyes, and try to relax and breathe deeply while we drive out to the runway. And I like the window seat- being able to see as we take off and land is a help....more aware of what is going on. (how quickly the ground is coming at us!)

I'm not sure if any of this has helped you....but just know you are not alone is your stress!!
:plane:

tink'72
06-16-2008, 12:20 PM
I do not fly. I can't even get excited about our trips when we plan to fly because I worry about the flight the WHOLE time. I'm good when we land and then the next day I start worrying about the flight home so I don't enjoy the rest of the rip. I can't even enjoy myself. I know crazy...We drive from Boston every year. This way I totally enjoy my trip and am relaxed.

RBrooksC
06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Shoot, those engines start and I start to drift off to sleep. In fact, I have been asleep before the FA finish their little safety spiel.

Belle619
06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm not a huge fan of flying - I do it because I have to, not because I like to. But going to Disney is a good enough reason to get me on those darn planes again and again.

I find that I do the best when my mind is occupied, and my sister (who I usually travel with) knows this, so she'll make small talk with me so that I'm not as nervous.

For our Disney trips, we'll go over the itinerary. We like talking about what we can't wait to ride and what we're going to eat, or we'll bring a disney book (i.e. Hidden Mickeys) and go through it together - and before you know it, we've landed!

Good luck!

Vintage Disney
06-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm not exactly afraid of flying but it isn't my most favorite thing to do either. To take my mind off all the awful possiblilties I bring my DVD player or laptop and watch a new movie that I've saved for the trip.

I think that a SW attendant on one of my flights had the best advice-- You can either sit up and be nervous or sit back and relax, either way it will take the same amount of time to get there. :mickey:

AdventurelandTikiGirl
06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
You're not nuts!! I used to have a terrible fear of flying, so bad that I didn't fly for 7 years (when I was a teenager). My family dragged me on a trip to London to break the streak. Now I fly 5 or 6 times a year. I think the more you do it, the better it gets. I used to have horrible anticipatory anxiety, but now it's pretty much gone. I would also recommend getting some medication from your doctor. It has helped me immensely knowing that I have that safety net. Every time you start to freak, just imagine yourself at Disney and it will all be worth it.

Boojum
06-18-2008, 11:22 PM
..and be honest about what the problem is.

Last summer, DH and I vacationed in Jamaica. I was excited about being there, but scared to death about the flight. Something about flying over open water had me freakin' a little.

I went to my doctor and was completely honest with her, and she told me that lots of people have that problem. She gave me a prescrip for 4 pills: two for the trip down, two for the trip back. Worked like a charm. I was relaxed, but not out of it or goofy.