PDA

View Full Version : 50's Prime Time vs. Sci Fi - which would you choose?

Dsnygirl
06-16-2008, 03:58 AM
:mickey: Wow -- now that I've read all the great reviews from 50's Prime Time Cafe, I'm wondering if we should change our ADR from Sci Fi Dine In. I chose it for the cars - my DD's would think eating in a car is pretty cool. But, they'd also probably like all the fun antics I read about that go on at Prime Time.

So - which would you choose, and why? (BTW, my girls are 7 and 10)

:thanks:

SBETigg
06-16-2008, 06:43 AM
My family really enjoyed our lunch at Sci-Fi. The atmosphere is very cool, and the food at lunch was quite good. We're not the kind of family to go for the antics at 50s Prime Time.

Kairi_7378
06-16-2008, 06:57 AM
We aren't into antics with our meals, so we'd also choose Sci Fi and have a burger and shake lunch. The food is basic but the atmosphere is cool.

DISNEYLOVERS5
06-16-2008, 07:10 AM
i would say sci fi because the cars and
"b" movies. When we ate at Prime time our waitress wasn't "feeling her part"

Mickey'sGirl
06-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Sci Fi. The guys love the horrible movies and the shakes.

50's PT never fails to disappoint us food wise, and we aren't crazy for the antics.

disneydrmr
06-16-2008, 08:57 AM
I really enjoyed 50's Prime Time when we were there. I like the 50's era and the food was just good old 'grandma' type cooking... But the atmoshpere at Sci Fi is awesome too!

elmjimmlm
06-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I would choose Sci Fi over 50s just for the fact that its just so different...
I love the way that its looks and the food was great...Not to take away from 50s because we loved it too...We just liked Sci Fi better...:thumbsup:

xipetotec
06-16-2008, 09:01 AM
:mickey: Wow -- now that I've read all the great reviews from 50's Prime Time Cafe, I'm wondering if we should change our ADR from Sci Fi Dine In. I chose it for the cars - my DD's would think eating in a car is pretty cool. But, they'd also probably like all the fun antics I read about that go on at Prime Time.

50's Prime Time hands down. Granted, I got a kick out of the car tables, but the food was only "okay". 50's Prime Time had very fun servers, a fun atmosphere, and good food. For me, it's no contest.

MickeyMousse
06-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Sci-Fi without a doubt.

The last time we ate at Prime Time, our DS's were 10 and 5 and they were not comfortable with the waitresses antics. ('eat those vegetables or no dessert", "sit up straight, no elbows on the table") They've even asked that we not go back there for awhile!!!!

DDuck66
06-16-2008, 09:56 AM
We love the 50's PT. It is one of our favorites. The food has always been real good, and the atmosphere is great. We even went so far as to put our favorite waitress, "Sister Jamie" in out autograph book.
We do like the Sci Fi for the atmosphere, but the food while not bad, is nothing special. I usually get a burger or the baby back ribs.

Hull-onian
06-16-2008, 10:07 AM

We recently ate at the Sci-Fi. We loved the wait staff. Sitting in the cars was really cool. We had their onion rings for an app. We split them four ways. Our dinner was I'd say three stars if it had a rating of up to five. Our waiter, who was from NY by the way, was very attentive. The movies were a blast from the past. We were laughing at the big ants and the aliens from outer space. It was so funny. It was comfortable and very cool. Then we ate at 50's prime time diner, and liked it. Didn't care for the antics of the wait staff, but the food was very good. Good luck on your decision. It will be a good experience either way.:tasty:

WorldTraveler
06-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Interesting question because of the ages of children. More adults would like 50's Prime time over Sci-Fi. However, I have found that while children can not relate to either, some do not enjoy 50's style kitchen tables or the black and white TV's with "I Love Lucy" type shows. I have never sent a family to Sci-Fi where the kids did not enjoy the venue.
That being said, food and menu is much much better at 50's Prime Time and it is therefore a harder place to get into.
Also, the Aunts and Uncles tend to pick on adults more than children especially if you as an adult play along and get involved. This can make for a great experience for your children. Where else can they see mom or dad get reprimanded for not cleaning their plate? Or for having their elbows on the table?

avantgardeinker
06-16-2008, 10:21 AM
That's tough!! We love both. DH likes the atmosphere at Sci Fi better, but I like the food at 50's Prime Time better. I will say that we had the best CM waiting on us at Sci Fi. He made our experience really fun. They're both so different it's hard to compare the two. We went to 50's on our last trip and Sci Fi on the trip before that, so we're going back to Sci Fi on our next trip.

:mickey:

Disdad13
06-16-2008, 10:29 AM
50's Prime Time. No Doubt. Go to Sci-Fi and stick your head in to see what it looks like. But for food and atmosphere, 50's is much better. At Sci-Fi, the car thing might seem like a good idea, but if there are more than 2 people in your party, some of you will be in the front seat and some in the back - carrying on a conversation is practically impossible. Plus, the food is just not that good. We have been to 50's numerous times and, while the servers tend to run a little hot and cold with the antics, the food is always good.

Jeff G
06-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I've done both and would definitely recommend the 50's.

The food at the 50's is fairly good and is a lot different from most of WDW dining selections and a nice change of pace. I don't normally care for pot roast yet at the 50's it's my favorite meal served and is one of my favorite meals in all of WDW. The theming & decorations are neat to check out as well with old clips from TV shows playing throughout. The interaction with the CM's can be a blast as long as you go in with a good attitude. If you make an ADR realize that you may be given a hard time and that is part of what makes this restaurant so neat.

We didn't care for the Sci-Fi. The set up is that you are dining in cars at a drive in. When we ate there we were a family of four and we we set up with two of our party in the front seat and two in the back. We weren't facing each other and carrying on a conversation was tough which we didn't care for. The movie clips are fun to see. The food was average at best with our groups best meal being the burger basket which was similar to the burger we got at the counter service at the WL.

Both have theming that is unique and fun to see but the food and CM interaction at the 50's gives it the edge in our book.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-16-2008, 11:54 AM
I had posted the recent question about the 50s Prime Time Cafe. I'm really glad to read the "other side of the story" here. Despite the glowing reviews, I don't think my kiddies would enjoy the chastising from the actors at the Prime Time either. I think I'd find it unpleasant.

Thanks for the vicarious help!! I just changed my mind in favor of the Sci-Fi.

Pigtunia
06-16-2008, 01:01 PM
i would say sci fi because the cars and
"b" movies. When we ate at Prime time our waitress wasn't "feeling her part"

The B-movies are fun, and actually a must-do for us. The food is good if you stick to the diner basics (ribs, burgers, etc), the pastas are only so-so.

At the 50s Prime Time you really run the risk of getting an "off" performance from the wait-staff, and there's also the pressure for you to perform, too.

DizneyFreak2002
06-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I booked both places for this year's trip... I never had Sci Fi before, but I been to 50's several times... I must say, I do like the place... Hopefully I like Sci Fi as well... I have heard many mixed reviews about Sci Fi....

Dsnygirl
06-16-2008, 04:10 PM
:thanks: everyone!! Wow -- hadn't expected so many responses! Based on them, I think I'll stick w/ our current ADR at Sci Fi.... although I think my girls would possibly enjoy the antics at Prime Time, you never know if they're going to be having an "off day" (our girls OR the CM's, I guess...) ...or, like little girls, an "off moment" ...:blush:... and not like it... and as we've never been to either, I may as well take the "sure thing" ADR this time, and maybe try Prime Time next time.

This is what makes this site so awesome... thanks again!! :thumbsup:

Gottaluvgoof
06-16-2008, 06:40 PM
We only went to Sci Fi once, and it wasn't a good experience. Maybe it was just a bad time, but we really thought the food was bad. Like I said, maybe it was a bad day, but I have never seen a steak so tough and the lady across from us sent hers back three times and never did get satisfied. I guess the meal spoiled the atmosphere for us. We on the other hand, enjoyed our visit to 50s Primetime. The food was home style and good, and the atmosphere fun. A little intimidating to the kids, but they talk about it still, so they enjoyed it, just were freaked out about having their elbows on the table. :D