PDA

View Full Version : Jiko..a new must-do!

mouseaddict
06-15-2008, 11:43 PM
So after a great lunch at Yak and Yeti we were ready for our big night at Jiko. It did not disappoint!
Tonight was the moms and the kids..Two 6 year olds and a 19 month old. Lots of kids there..and they sat us all in the same section.
This was a phenominal meal. The rye bread and tandoori butter was perfect..DD 19 months loved it..she ate 3 slices..with the butter!
Appetizers were: Me..maize and sweet potato tamales..very good texture was a little strange..but the flavor was all that!
DBF had the taste of Africa plate. The dips were fabulous and the lavosh was tasty and fresh.
The kids had a good selection too. DS had the fruit salad ( melons). DBF's daughter had peas and carrots.
Main course..at the recommendation of the server we had the halibut and the coffee bbq braised short ribs. Both plates were to die for. The halibut was tender and not fishy at all. The sauce was out of this world. The short ribs were fall apart tender. Both plates were absolutely fantastic!
The kids had steak (huge portion) and a massive grilled cheese with berries.
Dessert...oh my..chocolate cheesecake with lavender ice cream..heaven. Pistachio creme brulee. The crust on top was delicious. The kids had build your own smores. Messy and gooey..a big hit.
This was a fabulous meal and the service was excellent. We will definately return..soon!
Rating..A+. Total cost $150 plus tip..worth every penny.

Jared
06-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Michelle, thanks for the review, and I'm glad you enjoyed your meal. Jiko - The Cooking Place is probably the most overlooked signature restaurant in Disney. That maize and sweet potato tamale sounds quirky and delicious.

:tasty:

KineGirl
06-16-2008, 12:27 AM
We love love LOVE Jikos too! Since our first visit 4 years ago its a must at least once if not twice each trip now! I think Ive had most of the entrees and I have to say that those short ribs are UNbelievable too! Yummmmy! I really enjoy all the apps but especially the flat breads. TY for your review!.. it makes me look forward that much more (and it was already alot!) to our upcoming trip to Jikos in July!!

They also have fantastic African coffee which makes for great after dinner coffee drinks :cloud9:

Natazu
06-16-2008, 02:34 AM
I like Jiko. They do food good.

SBETigg
06-16-2008, 06:27 AM
Jiko is definitely on our list to try soon. Sounds like a great meal. I love braised short ribs. Yum. Thanks for the review.

mouseaddict
06-16-2008, 06:38 AM
They also have fantastic African coffee which makes for great after dinner coffee drinks :cloud9:

I forgot to mention the coffee..also loved the darjeeling tea!

Mickey'sGirl
06-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks Michelle. DH and I were discussing Jiko with friends yesterday, and had already decided that we had to eat there. You've just sealed the deal. :thumbsup:

Hull-onian
06-16-2008, 11:34 AM
On the new Demand Channel 891 Cat Cora from Food Network takes a family that is visiting Animal Kingdom Lodge, and shows them how the food is prepared at Jiko. The vegetables looked really fresh and the ribs delicious. Then she made them a fabulous desert that everyone shared. The ambiance of Jiko makes it a place that I would like to go to. Having been to Boma's a couple of times, it is now time to take it to the next level, Jiko's.:cloud9:

pox24
06-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Great review. Wife and I ate there last month and it great to revisit this fine place. We had the Ostrich Snitzel for a starter. It was fabulous. Only bad thing was that Stephanie kept her head buried in the pillows all night!

Hull-onian
06-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Great review. Wife and I ate there last month and it great to revisit this fine place. We had the Ostrich Snitzel for a starter. It was fabulous. Only bad thing was that Stephanie kept her head buried in the pillows all night!

Very funny.:funny:

MissStyles
06-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks Michelle...everything sounds fabulous.....even the grilled cheese! ;)

dyin tago
06-16-2008, 08:52 PM
we tried jiko last sept and enjoyed it so much we went again! try the fillet with mac and cheese. If you think mac and cheese is no big deal you are in for a surprise!

can`t wait to return this september:eat:

lotrfan
06-16-2008, 08:52 PM
My wife and I ate at Boma on our Disneymoon in April and we really enjoyed it. On our next trip we definitely want to check out Jiko. It sounds great. The one thing I found with Boma is that you didn't have to season any of the food yourself. The chefs really knew what they were doing. Is it the same way at Jiko?

Aggie97
06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
We ate at Jiko for the first time last week and really enjoyed it. The BBQ chicken flatbread starter, filet mignon w/ mac & cheese entrees, and chocolate cheesecake w/ lavender ice cream all were delicious. And we enjoyed a great bottle of South African wine, too. :mickey:

andreallybadeggs
06-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Well as long as she didn't kick and leave you with an enormous egg under the sheets you needn't complain. :D