PDA

View Full Version : Bed bugs?

EmmMOM2
06-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Whose gotten bedbugs and at which resort?
I've heard they are more of a problem lately!!

We had fleas in our home once UGHHH...after that experience i NEVER want bugs again

waymickey
06-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Have not seen them but was told to go into the room turn out the lights and shine a flash light on bed. they are drawn to the light and you can see if the room is infested. They like the back of the head board so be sure to look there.
:mickey:

Mousemates
06-15-2008, 03:35 PM
For lots of info on this there was recent thread entitled "Bedbugs at Poly" in which one unfortunate family had a bad experience. Its buried about six pages back in this forum...you will likely be able to find more than you ever wanted to know about them there.

By the way, the thought of them creeps me out too....but I don't give them too much thought...just a quick check of the room to ease my semi-paranoid mind and we're off to the parks and don't give suchthings a second thought...hope you a great trip.

katzctkpt
06-15-2008, 11:31 PM
I've read about bed bugs on a post somewhere here. We've never had a bed bug experience and hope we never do.

gwfx1031
06-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I am sure they are everywhere but we stayed at POR in 10/06 and my wife got bitten up pretty good and they left me alone.

GeminiAngel
06-17-2008, 10:32 AM
I always do a bed check before we unpack. good thing, I found them in the room they gave us at POR last April. I called down, the manager gave me a hard time saying there was nowhere to more us to. We got moved, you betcha!!!

tmosier
06-17-2008, 04:36 PM
And if you turn off the lights and shine a flashlight on the bed (under the sheets?), the bed bugs will crawl out where you can see them? :eek:

nicjohn3
06-17-2008, 05:27 PM
I am sure they are everywhere but we stayed at POR in 10/06 and my wife got bitten up pretty good and they left me alone.

Hello--we also got bit at POR in 3/07 (not hubbie), but stayed again in 3/08--no bites at all :) Do read that previous post--makes you think:confused:

Tinksalot
06-17-2008, 05:51 PM
How many reports of bed bugs have they had at Disney? We are going in January. Do these survive even in cooler weather? The thought of bugs in my bed creeps me out! :eek2::bug::bug::bug::bug::bug:

VolMickey
06-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Man, this creeps me out to the max. Planning to go to AKL next. Any experiences there to share? :confused:

I'm gittin' the itchies just thinking about it... :ack:

LizLovesDiz
06-23-2008, 11:41 PM
We have never had a problem,thank God,how awful for the people that did! Did WDW do anything for the people that had them ? :(

RBrooksC
06-24-2008, 08:02 AM
This is a problem everywhere no matter how expensive or inexpensive the hotel. The problem arises from infestations in foreign countries that are brought here by tourists. Because of the disuse of DDT, which basically eradicated this pest, the bedbugs are growing in number and have become increasingly resistant to the current pesticides in use today.

EmmMOM2
06-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I heard they compensated some people so as not to get into a legal dispute.

Alot of the hotels down their have had them if you search any of the travel review websites for disney and bedbugs quite a few will come up.

I've personally seen reviews with bedbugs at POR and POLY.

TIGGER17179
06-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Okay you guys are making me freak out now. I know they are everywhere even in your own home but knowing and getting bit is 2 different things!
We've always stayed at Pop and have never had an issue ( actually never thought about it either! ) but we are venturing out to POR in August because I got a good deal and I'm now wondering! :confused:
Is there anything you can take to spray? Would Lysol do anything ?????? :spoiler:

Von-Drake
06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
You might want to check out this thread:
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=129710&highlight=bedbugs

It has some posts in there with some products you can get to deter the pesky little critters.

kadesha
06-25-2008, 03:25 PM
ok, officially grossed out now!!! I should not have googled.....

Dixie Springs
06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
We just had an encounter in CBR - fortunately noticed extra 'guests' before we were bitten and moved (twice).

TIGGER17179
06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
I did find the luggage spary and it's actually called luggage spray. Then there is SteriFab that you can get to spray on the bed.
They are about 18.00 each but after reading this post I think I will be getting at least one of them! :sick:

mom2morgan
06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Ew, yuck, ick! I did NOT need to read that tonight, as I'm staying in a hotel RIGHT now that isn't exactly 5 star. Just hoping they don't venture this far north!!

mousehouseguy
07-11-2008, 11:49 AM
It seems as the only resort I have heard of having bedbugs is the Oak Plantation on the other side of Kissimmee. It really amazes me how some housekeeping staff can be so lazy that it even gets to this point. <snip>

:sick::ill:

forbella
07-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Knock on wood, so far no bed bugs and believe me, my wife goes on the hunt thanks to the news report a couple of years ago! We continue to stay at the POP and again, knock on wood- since we've been staying there- no Bed Bugs to report- actually no bugs to report (we look for them as well).:thumbsup:

Mousemates
07-11-2008, 05:38 PM
We just had an encounter in CBR - fortunately noticed extra 'guests' before we were bitten and moved (twice).

That both completely creeps me out and makes me itch, since we just spent a few days there the last week of June...also makes me glad I checked our rooms (we ended up moving as well, but not for bugs, but a sprinkler system leak in the wall) upon check in....will likely double up on my efforts now.

WAs also wondering where you saw them (headboards/mattress creases or sheets) and how easy they were to identify as bedbugs...I've seen them in pics online but cant get a good feel for how big they are....since they all look big on my computer screen.

kaliepooh
07-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Does any know of any reports regarding bed bugs at POP? We are heading there and I really don't want anything to ruin our vacation.

gmgdisneymom
07-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't know why I read these posts - it always creeps me out and I have nigtmares.

I have never seen them knock on wood

Daisy'sMom
07-12-2008, 01:54 PM
We have never seen bed bugs at Disney and I am hoping we never do.

VolMickey
07-12-2008, 02:02 PM
We bought some of that Sterifab stuff and are packing for the trip. Hope it works, if needed. Might use it anyway. Kills just about anything, including bacteria, mold, fleas, etc. Saw a comment about it on allears.net.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-13-2008, 10:48 AM
:bug: EwWWWWWW

Mousemates
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
:bug: EwWWWWWW

That bug smilie always creeps me out. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-13-2008, 03:41 PM
That bug smilie always creeps me out. :mickey:

:mike: Oh, me too, but do you remember the posts a few months ago about spiders, well there's nothing for that, but there is

:bee::mouse::crab::lizard:

Mousemates
07-13-2008, 03:43 PM
We bought some of that Sterifab stuff and are packing for the trip. Hope it works, if needed. Might use it anyway. Kills just about anything, including bacteria, mold, fleas, etc. Saw a comment about it on allears.net.

I'm not sure what draws me back to these threads because they do give me "the willies, the creeps, etc." And I'm not a bedbug expert...but from what I read about the sterifab product it would seem to be fairly ineffective for the kind of spot treatment a guest would do in a motel room-- since the product becomes inert within about ten minutes of drying...this means that there is no "residual barrier effect" (I am not an exterminator but have watched the verminators on the discovery channel:)) and that any missed bugs (i.e. those deeply imbedded in mattress crevasses) would have unhindered access to warm bodies deep in the night.

To me the best defense is still to simply give the beds a quick check upon check-in. And anyway, even if the product was super effective I'm not sure how comfortable I would be staying in a room where I had to rely on me to get rid of the critters...nor am I all that comfortable with the idea of numerous guests spraying pesticides in hotel rooms...sounds to me like that could cause some health issues that go beyond the nuisance/stigma of bed bugs.

I suppose that puts me at four cents now. :twocents: :twocents:

RPHX2NC
07-15-2008, 11:30 PM
we stayed alligator bayou POR sept 2007 none in our room. I also check before I unpack. I pull the sheets back and look at mattress, and behind bed and pictures. I do this in every hotel room as soon as I check in!

Dixie Springs
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Worry not. Everyone needs to remember - these are just 'Disney bedbugs'. They have long eyelashes, and are very polite while they draw your blood. Some of them even sing.

hardingella
07-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Does any know of any reports regarding bed bugs at POP? We are heading there and I really don't want anything to ruin our vacation.

Stayed at POP twice and never been bitten, Thank goodness, though until now it never crossed my mind. Gaurantee next time i will be pulling those sheets back!!!:bug:

kaliepooh
07-17-2008, 07:25 PM
I have never thought of looking for bed bugs before now. I'm not even planning on mentioning the bugs to my family, my husband would have a fit. I think it will ruin our vacation and the first time visitor that we are taking with us this summer may miss some of the magic.

I will however, be on the look out discreetly! Thank you for all of the information.

Marker
07-17-2008, 08:38 PM
sheesh, just one more thing for people to be scared of.

Never looked for then, never seen them, not gonna worry about them.

snowwhitenyc
07-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I hate that this is my first post on INTERCOT, but this is something I'm a bit of an expert on as I am currently covered in bedbug bites (I live in NYC, and they are in my apartment...yuck).

Unfortunately, bedbugs are a very real problem. It has nothing to do with rooms not being clean/housekeeping not doing their job. They are incredibly hard to kill, they can live for months without food, they are good at hiding, and they only like to come out at night. Based on reading these boards and visitor reviews on TripAdvisor (lots of stories about bugs at CBR), I can tell that bedbugs are at some of the Disney hotels. And I hate to say it, but the biggest problem isn't getting bitten when you're there...it is that you risk taking them with you and infesting your homes if you aren't careful.

Room inspections are important, definitely check the mattresses, behind the headboards, etc. You probably won't see you the bugs, but you might see rust colored stains, or tiny little black dots that look like ink spots or pepper (bedbug droppings).

DON'T PUT YOUR SUITCASE ON THE BED!!! Keep it as far away as possible. Don't unpack your clothes or put things in the dresser drawers. When I travel, I bring a clear plastic trash bag and keep my suitcase inside it, with the bag tied up tightly whenever I'm not using it. I put all of the dirty clothes in a separate plastic bag, and when I get home, I wash ABSOLUTELY everything in hot water right away and then put the clothes in the dryer for at least 30 minutes. I also vacuum out the suitcase thoroughly.

Sounds crazy, but I promise you that a bedbug problem is a nightmare. I'm not saying this to ruin anyone's trip...you should go and have the time of your life at WDW, it is the most wonderful place on earth. But take precautions, and if you are having a problem, let the hotel managers know it. There tends to be a lot of denial when it comes to bedbugs, but that only means that small problems become major infestations, and some of these hotels could get into real trouble.

I stayed at the All-Star Movie Resort this February, and am happy to report that my room was bug free!

disneymom2000
07-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I have stayed at several places in Disney and have never been bitten. That isn't to say that I won't check on my next visit but I am certainly NOT going to mention it to my germaphobe daughter who is going with me on this trip. I am packing extra sheets to use as covering for ourselves in hopes that this works.

GhostHost999
07-28-2008, 12:13 AM
is this why there's that bug friendly message in "It's tough to be a bug"?

*evil snicker*
:thedolls:

nyobabe2
08-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I am the one who posted the thread on here about bed bugs at the Poly.

The woman who is having problems in NYC right now is right on what she is saying about them. I doubt anyone will go into the room, inspect it and find them right away. It took us a really long time to find them in our room. Fortunatly we are now bug free for the past 2 months now. Unfortunatly, it took us about 2 months to actually get rid of them and alot of bites on me in the meantime.

Never put clothes or luggage on the beds or even cloth furniture. Buy the luggage spray, the sterifab is good if you see them, it's basically alcohol so it works on contact but theres no residual effect. Bring large plastic bags to put luggage and clothes in. Do not bring luggage into your bedroom at home, bring right down to laundry, do wash and clean out bags.

We are planning on going back to the Poly soon but this time, I'll be so much more prepared, as I am when I go to ANY hotel now! What an awful ordeal!!!!!

Bug Man
10-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I've never had a problem yet with any of the hotels here, but you are right, they are a nightmare to get rid of!

I respectfully disagree with not being able to find them right away - they love to hide, and if you know where to look, you can spot them.

There are some basic checks, such as the headboard, bed frame, mattress, dresser and many more place you can look for them.

Just take time to check out the room, review trip adviser for any recent complains and the odds will be with you!

Also - the person that made the comment about how staff can let it get to this point, it's not a matter of neglect by staff, but that the staff probably doesn't (most don't) check for bedbugs.

drummerboy
11-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Thought I'd add a not after an encounter DW and I had yesterday. We were at a cloth shop waiting to check out, and there was a woman in front of us with one of those newer artificial legs (she was wearing shorts). Somebody in line got talking to her about it and she told them that she got a bone infection after getting badly bitten by bedbugs at Disney a few years ago. They finally had to remove the leg a few months ago, so she hasn't had the artificial one for very long.

I knew there was a good reason that DW and I liked using our camper.

GeminiAngel
11-19-2008, 08:39 PM
OMG!!!!

mouseketeer mom
11-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Worry not. Everyone needs to remember - these are just 'Disney bedbugs'. They have long eyelashes, and are very polite while they draw your blood. Some of them even sing.

Ha Ha!!! Some of them even sing!!!

MickeysEars
11-22-2008, 12:33 PM
ok, officially grossed out now!!! I should not have googled.....

me too!

PixiePrincess
11-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Ewwww, reading this gave me the heebie jeebies! :sick: I've never thought about it in the past, but I will be on the lookout for those nasty little critters in my hotel rooms from now on!!!!

DisneyKings
11-22-2008, 08:28 PM
As I clicked on the thread I told myself I shouldn't! Officially grossed out & worried about our stay in Jan at POR!!!

Polynesian Dweller
11-22-2008, 09:28 PM
As I clicked on the thread I told myself I shouldn't! Officially grossed out & worried about our stay in Jan at POR!!!

The important thing in reading this is to not lose perspective. You are going to stay with one of the top flight hoteliers. Sure be prudent and take a look around, but don't let it grip you with fear. Fear is far greater than the reality in almost all cases. Remember that thousands and thousands of people stay a Disney every month and have no (that's 0) problems with bed bugs. That's the perspective to keep.

elmjimmlm
11-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Ewwww, reading this gave me the heebie jeebies! :sick: I've never thought about it in the past, but I will be on the lookout for those nasty little critters in my hotel rooms from now on!!!!

Last night I stayed in a hotel and had to instantly check the mattress before getting into the bed...Happy to say no creepy crawlys...I am going to make this a habit when staying at any hotel from now on...

Hull-onian
12-11-2008, 02:56 PM
When we go, I don't know if it helps, but I spray the room with tea tree oil. Who knows? On the other hand, I have never seen a bed bug.