PDA

View Full Version : 50s Prime Time Cafe

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-15-2008, 09:01 AM
I saw the 50s Prime Time Cafe on a travel show last night. My DH loves diners and I thought it would be fun to try on our next trip. But, frankly, it looked annoying. Do you even get a chance to get a bite in? Are the actors constantly at your table?

henry.james.s
06-15-2008, 09:14 AM
It's a hoot..very fun. Great place for lunch. The staff know what they're doing..you'll be able to enjoy your meal. Play along when you can. ;)

droopy d.
06-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Mykids really enjoy it, it's their fav. rest. We have to eat their every trip and when I start making reservations they want to know when we are going.

elmjimmlm
06-15-2008, 10:23 AM
We loved it...Our experience was that it was not only our waiter but the waitress next to us that gave us a hard time...This is a definite don't miss...:thumbsup:

disneydeb
06-15-2008, 10:32 AM
If you go in with a let's have fun attitude, you'll have a great time!

tmosier
06-15-2008, 10:44 AM
definitely go in with the right attitude
make sure that everybody at the table sets his own place
mind your manners
you will have time to finish your meal
yes, the antics can get old (not overwhelming, just old)

Mad About Mickey
06-15-2008, 10:58 AM
The 50's Prime Time is a lot of fun. My DW & DD insist we go every trip. The wait staff will give you a stern, but good natured, admonishment if you have elbows on the table, don't eat your veggies, etc... Last time the waitress tried, to "set up" our DS, 15 at the time, with a young lady from a nearby table. Both our DS and the young lady were slightly embarressed and blushing :blush: but the siblings at both tables loved every minute of it. Our DD still enjoys bringing that up and our DS still blushes. I am not a fan of vegetables and as much as the waitress tried, I would not eat all of the vegetables, not even one more bite as she asked. When she brought out the desserts she did not bring mine out since I had not eaten my vegetables. The kids thought this was the greatest. She did eventually let me have my dessert.

The wait staff does not hover over you but they do give you more attention then anywhere else I have eaten in or out of the park. The meals are comfort foods, well prepared with good portions. Since there are not a lot of table service restaurants in DHS this is one of the better choices there.

gerald72
06-15-2008, 12:14 PM
My kids wanted the waiter to pick on them and yell at them. But he didn't. They ate with their hats on, kept their elbows on the table, talked on cellphones, didn't finish their vegetables- Nothing!
We were very dissappointed because all we were able to do was enjoy our meal. Getting yelled at was the reason we picked that restaurant. We won't go back.

Fryguy
06-15-2008, 12:25 PM
We love going there and try to go there every year. We already have our ADR for here in October.

andreallybadeggs
06-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Had 2 very fun experiences 1 VERY disappointing one there. Depends on the mood of your group and the mood of the server.

LudwigVonDrake
06-15-2008, 04:54 PM
It's one of my must-do restaurants when I visit WDW! :eat:

Guya103
06-15-2008, 07:22 PM
I saw the same show last night!

This is a "must do" for our family on every trip. We already have our ADR for it in August and are looking forward to the fun!:mickey:

kellykaypa
06-15-2008, 08:42 PM
My family went to Prime Time on our trip in 2005. Food was good, but I agree you need to have the right attitude. Great if you do not mind becoming the center of attention at certain points while your eating. I'm a little more low key and would not go back.

katzctkpt
06-15-2008, 11:15 PM
My kids wanted the waiter to pick on them and yell at them. But he didn't. They ate with their hats on, kept their elbows on the table, talked on cellphones, didn't finish their vegetables- Nothing!
We were very dissappointed because all we were able to do was enjoy our meal. Getting yelled at was the reason we picked that restaurant. We won't go back.

We must have had the same CM. We tried to get the CM to yell at us. We dumped salt, kept elbows on table even used the ketchup & mustard bottles to draw smiley faces on our plates. Not a word!! As for the food I thought it was awful. It tasted like a banquet frozen dinner. If you go ask that you have a CM that will be willing to play the part and don't order the meatloaf :ack:.

Dsnygirl
06-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Wow - I just read all the fun reviews of the 50's Prime Time Cafe, and although we have ADR's at Sci Fi, I'm wondering if I'd like to switch!

I chose Sci Fi for the "eating in the cars" aspect... I thought my DD's would find that very cool. But, they would also enjoy all the antics I read about that happen at the Prime Time Cafe.

Having been to neither (we don't do sit downs very often at DHS), which would you guys recommend??

:thanks:

Figment52
06-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Having been to neither (we don't do sit downs very often at DHS), which would you guys recommend??

:thanks:

We did Sci-fi in 1995 and Prime Time in 2006, both for lunch. You really have to be in the mood to play along at Prime Time. I know others have mentioned it, but I can't stress that point enough. A bit of a tiff right before the ADR time left us both in a sour mood for lunch. To his credit, the waiter did try, but we just weren't feeling it. The food was decent, though.

As far as Sci-fi, DD liked it, but I thought it was just ok. Of course, this was 13 years ago, so I'm sure the menu has changed. I don't even remember what I had. There were only two of us, so the seating wasn't an issue. Because of the 'car' seating, it isn't really conducive for large party conversation. There might be a few cars that have a different configuration, though.

Long story short, we weren't overly impressed with either - though obviously, one was our fault. We've actually done 4 of the 5 TS in the Studios and weren't over the moon for any. I'd say just go with what your family wants to do.

Dragongirlx
06-16-2008, 03:54 AM
My sister and I have eaten at both the sci fi and prime time cafe.
The food at each restaurant was pretty bad luke warm and very bland.
The sci fi was dark and although we gor to sit in a car, sharing with a mum and her son, we found it cramped and our waiter was trully bad.
I found the constant loop of the same clips annoying too and I love science fiction.
At the prime time though our waitress was great and made up for the poor food. She was exactly like out own Mother and even the other waitresses and waiters kept giving her looks like oh god here she goes again.
She was really strict and was utterly shocked when we ordered an adult drink and nearly wouldn't bring it too us (we were 27 at the time).
I would agree with the other posters though you really need to be in the right mood for this and if you get embarrassed easily I'd give it a miss.

Hull-onian
06-16-2008, 12:17 PM
We were never disappointed with the 50's Prime Time Cafe. Food great. Service great. Would go back again.:thumbsup:

bruin1344
06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
i didnt find the wait staff obnoxious when i went, they spent the right amount of time at the table

krorx
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM
We have been to both and I have to say the food was better at Prime time. We had the pot roast and it was fabulous. The waiter wasn't annoying, just sort of silly at times but we were left alone to eat. I was disappointed in the big samore for our dessert though. The SciFi is adorable inside but the food was just so so. My kids loved it for the starry sky and the car booths. :)

GrmGrninGost
06-18-2008, 05:40 AM
IMHO 50's Prime Time is one of the most fun places I've ever dined at! The food is really good and the wait staff is a blast! They are not annoying, just fun! :mickey: This is one of my families "can't miss" spots!

Capt. Sparrow
06-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Let me start by saying that I am a Disney fanatic and I am always in a great mood when I am in my happy place. But this place really annoyed me when I ate here a few years ago and I have never gone back since. We had 9 people at our table, and it seemed as if I was the only one who continusouly was getting picked on!:mad: I did not enjoy myself here although I do have to admit that that sundae with M&Ms and Cracker Jacks was delicious!

luvdiznee
06-19-2008, 12:34 PM
My family can be a little on the shy side, but I think it will be fun. I will just tell my family first. :secret:

xipetotec
06-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I saw the 50s Prime Time Cafe on a travel show last night. My DH loves diners and I thought it would be fun to try on our next trip. But, frankly, it looked annoying. Do you even get a chance to get a bite in? Are the actors constantly at your table?

Nah! They have other tables than yours to serve. For us, they really hammed it up at the beginning of the meal, and maybe a bit in between courses. Other than that, it was fine. ( Just don't eat with your elbows on the table ;) :D )

We had a GREAT time here and definitely plan to go again.

Plus, the waiting room is just like a 1950's living room. though i did not grow up in the 50's, I DO remember going to my grandmother's house and seeing stuff like that room in there :) pretty nostalgically funny.