PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express and luggage and timing....

mom2morgan
06-14-2008, 07:39 PM
We are arriving in Orlando at 9:05 pm. We are planning to use Magical Express to get to Port Orleans Riverside. I'm wondering if we shouldn't handle our own luggage (will they even let us bring it on the Magical Express shuttle)? DH says just let them handle it, but we aren't going to want to be up for HOURS waiting for our things because we want an early start the following day. Granted, with the time change we won't be getting to sleep all that fast anyway, but still....
(yep, and then there is the departure day, on which our plane leaves at 6:00 AM!! LOL - darn seat sales)

CleveRocks
06-14-2008, 08:42 PM
We are arriving in Orlando at 9:05 pm. We are planning to use Magical Express to get to Port Orleans Riverside. I'm wondering if we shouldn't handle our own luggage (will they even let us bring it on the Magical Express shuttle)? DH says just let them handle it, but we aren't going to want to be up for HOURS waiting for our things because we want an early start the following day. Granted, with the time change we won't be getting to sleep all that fast anyway, but still....
(yep, and then there is the departure day, on which our plane leaves at 6:00 AM!! LOL - darn seat sales)Some facts, followed by some advice.

You should expect your bags about 3 hours after you arrive at your resort. If you're landing around 9 p.m., expect to be at POR some time between 10 and 10:30 p.m. That would mean expecting your luggage around 1:00 a.m.

I know that would be a sleep interruption I wouldn't want!

So here are your choices. I recommend THE SECOND ONE.

You can get your own bags, but keep in mind this will delay your arrival at your resort. Chances are, your detour to baggage claim will mean that you'll miss the first available bus to POR and will have to wait for the next one. If you do this, you'll lug your luggage to the DME counter, and then to the bus. Once at the bus, the driver will load them under the bus, and you'll get them back as soon as you arrive at your resort. You should tip the driver for this service.

My advice is to let DME handle your bags. When you get to POR, request at the front desk AND with Bell Services to have your DME bags held 'til morning. Pack your carry-ons with your immediate bed-time needs. Packing for your immediate needs in your carry-ons is just a smart way to travel no matter where you're flying, just in case the AIRLINE delays your luggage.

The last time I did this (@ POFQ), I called for my bags at 6:30 a.m. and there was a knock on my door literally 5 minutes later. And since DME tips the CMs for the DME luggage delivery, you don't even need to tip the CM who brings those bags in the morning (you're NOT being cheap if you do this ... the CM knows he's being given a guaranteed tip by his employer).

SO if you have DME take your bags and pack a smart carry-on, you get to your resort sooner, do less work, AND you save a few bucks.

Figment52
06-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Only used DME once, as it wasn't offered yet for the previous visits. We grabbed our own luggage and had no problems. The bus came pretty soon after we got in line, so I don't know if we'd just missed it by getting our luggage. In any case, the wait wasn't any longer than we'd had in the past waiting for the Mears shuttle. Probably 15 minutes at most.

We always arrive in the afternoon (12-1pm area) though, so I don't know what wait times are like at night for any form of transportation.

The choice is up to you, of course. But if you do have DME get your bags for you, I agree with the 1st poster. Definitely have your resort hold them until morning, and pack essentials in your carry-on.

mom2morgan
06-14-2008, 09:48 PM
AWESOME advice, folks - thanks! Of all the possible scenarios going through my mind (including saying forget the whole thing and hiring a private car) your suggestion had never occurred to me, but sounds perfect! :mickey:

CleveRocks
06-14-2008, 09:50 PM
I forgot to add one VERY important point ...

If you will get your own luggage at baggage claim, then DO NOT put the special DME luggage tags on your bags. DME-tagged bags never make it out to the baggage claim carousel. So if you tag them and then go wait for them at baggage claim, you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise.

sndral
06-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Having just flown thought I'd add:
no liquids/gels over 2oz. so pack one small tube of toothpaste, and whatever else you'll need of that sort in the carry on (actually have it packed in a clear ziplock) so as to avoid having to toss stuff @ security. Likewise any medicines in clear ziplock.

irish1967
06-19-2008, 08:55 AM
My thought is this...

I understand that according to the rules, luggage operations at MCO will cease completely in the event of lightening. If you are planning on picking up your own luggage and transporting it to DME yourselves, you could potentially end up waiting for your luggage for a long time.

I concur with suggestion above - pack your nighttime essentials in your carry-on and let DME handle the luggage and have it delivered the next morning.

Personally, I would also carry-on clothing for the next day as well - just in case the airlines misroute your luggage.