PDA

View Full Version : The Best Summer Ever Trip Report! Day 3

BriarRose0708
06-14-2008, 02:29 PM
We were up and on a bus to Animal Kingdom this morning by 8:30 a.m. All the getting up early and staying up late for the past 3 days was starting to hit us, even with rest breaks in the afternoon. We put our best faces forward though, and made it to the park for opening. Now, when I was originally planning the trip there were supposed to be Extra Magic Hours this morning, but then I checked the schedule a few weeks ago and they had disappeared. So we thought the park opened at 9 a.m. We slept in a little longer and made it through the turnstiles by 9. There was no opening show, which I thought was weird. We were early enough so I knew we didn't miss it, but I just assumed it wasn't happening that day.

We walked through the Oasis and took a left around Discovery Island to head to Africa. Our game plan this morning was to ride the Safari, get a fastpass for Everst, and see the 10:15 show of Nemo. I had never been on the safari and we wanted to do it early in order to have the best chance to see the most animals. Even though it was already hot and sunny there were many animals around. We saw rhinos, the lions, antilope, giraffes, and we even drove the poachers out of the reserve. Afterward Kim stopped for a muffin and I went ahead to get us Everest fastpasses. We agreed to meet up in the Nemo queue, but when I got there she was sitting by herself. It turns out that the first show wasn't until 11:30 that morning. I though there was always a 10:15 show since that was when I saw it in October, but the Cast Member there said that they only have an early show when the park closes at 5. Today the park was open until 8, so they had later shows scheduled. We should have grabbed a times guide on our way in!

So with some time to spare we decided to hop into the single riders line for Everest since our fastpasses weren't valid for another half hour. We zipped through the line and walked on! Kim had chatted to the man next to her (I had gotten on the train before her) and apparently he said there in fact were Extra Magic Hours that morning! He and his family had been there and were able to ride Everest 7 times in a row. I later checked the schedule at the resort and there were no EMH hours listed. The park was very un-crowded that morning, so I guess there were very few people who actually knew about the EMH that morning. We had been up late the night before at EPCOT, and probably wouldn't have gotten up for the EMH anyway. So it all worked out in the end. The park was remarkable un-crowded the entire day and the longest wait we had was in the line at Flame Tree BBQ.

We encountered the Yeti and then took a walk on the Maharaja Jungle Trek. About halfway through the trail, right before the tigers, we ran into a large group of Dream Squad. There must have been 6 of them there. We are always friendly to Cast Members, but we were extra nice to Dream Squad. We smiled, greeted them a good morning and a "how you doin'?" But they just kept on standing there counting people. One of them had a digital counter and was ticking it off everytime someone walked by them. We got the definite feeling that something big was about to happen. Perhaps the castle suite? A shopping spree? A lifetime supply of Mickey bars? It was the right time for the suite giveaway (about 10:15 a.m.) and by the way they were counting families I had a strong inclination that's what it was. We tried to linger around a little, taking a lot of notice and remarking about the architecture of the "ruins" and all the green leaves and things. But, it became clear nothing was going to happen to us and we kept moving.

By the time we were done it was time to get on Everest with our fastpasses. After our second expedition we lined up for Nemo. Kim hadnever seen this show before, and I was very excited to experience it again. It is easily my favorite show on property, including the fireworks and parades. I never get more emotional watching any other show than Nemo (a close second would be during the Circle of Life during Festival of the Lion King). It turned out to be the same cast that I had seen in October, and I was really excited because they were so good. We had awesome seats too, at the front of the middle section behind the sound booth where the performers run sometimes. Marlon and Dory were right in front of us! Kim loved it, and we both agreed whoever plays Crush should be on Broadway.

We swung by DinoLand to get fastpasses for Dinosaur (Kim's favorite ride) and then went to Flame Tree BBQ for lunch. I got the 1/2 chicken dinner and Kim got pulled pork. We ate under one of the pavillions on the water with a magnificant view of Everest. It was so relaxing to be in this park today, a 180 degree diference from what I experienced in October (which is weird. Isn't October supposed to be less crowded?). We felt much better after eating some lunch (we were getting quite tired) and strolled back to Dinosaur. Kim loves this ride, and it's slowly growing on me. It is very scary and gets us every time no matter how much we ride it. Our picture is hysterical because we're holding each other's hands looking terrified. The 6-year-old behind us was less scared than we were.

We decided to see how well we could keep our lunches down by taking a spin on Primevil Whirl. Only one side was operational and we waited about 15 minutes (the longest ride wait of the day). We kept control of our stomachs, and then decided to peace out. On the way to the bus we snapped a picture with Pocahontas, where no one was waiting to see her. Poor thing, she always gets the shaft.

BriarRose0708
06-14-2008, 02:30 PM
We went back to the resort for a rest and then headed to Magic Kingdom for evening Extra Magic Hours. We arrived around 5 p.m. and browsed around the shops on Main Street, adding to our gift list. We ended up coming out in Casey's Corner and decided to order dinner and stake claim on a spot for Spectromagic. We camped out on the curb just ourside Casey's before the bridge. It turned out to be a good viewing spot, but between the speakers so we got a stereo version of the show. The crowd was really big, being that this was the first show. We had to wait an hour and a half, but it was worth it. I had never seen this parade in its entirety, and it was very fun and beautiful. I love the music too, the opening trumpets are my favorite part. Kim got some great videos on her camera. I will try to post links to all the video we got as soon as she sends them to me. When the end passed us we joined the crowd and slowly made our way to the Rose Garden to get a spot for Wishes. We were right under Tinkerbell when she flew by! I adore Wishes, and I hadn't seen the show in over a year (the last was at the MNNSHP) so I was very happy! After the show was moved with the crowd to Tomorrowland. And so began what I like to call The Great Wristband Hunt.

When we entered the park the writband stations weren't set up yet, and we figured we'd run into one sometime elsewhere in the park. Well, we scouted all around Tomorrowland and couldn't find anything. So we thought that by the castle would be the next obvious location, but still nothing. We asked a man where he and his family had gotten their wristbands, and he repleid "at the front of the park." We really didn't want to fight with the crowds down Main Street, but started to go that way when the man called us back. He said there was a station by Pinnocchio's in Fantasyland, so we went there instead. Later we discovered there was also a station by Space Mountain. I have no idea how we missed it!

We got our wristbands and went into PhilharMagic. This is our favorite 3D movie in all of WDW! It's very fun, too, to see people who had never seen 3D before reach out and try to touch the images. Honestly I am still surprised by some of the 4D effects! We left a very busy Fantasyland and made a visit to the Haunted Mansion on our way to Splash Mountain. For this trip, I am renaming it SOAKING we Mountain. We were the lucky riders in the back of the log that when the planets line up at just the right time get drenched from the water cannons. It puzzles me to no end that the wettest you get on this ride is not from the drops! We had never gotten that soaking on Splash. I think Extra Magic Hours actually means Extra Water Pressure. But, we didn't mind that much because we just went over to Big Thunder to dry off! We walked onto both rides, which was great because we definately weren't able to the next time we were in Magic Kingdom.

We went to Liberty Square next and shared a funnel cake. It was humid, and being completely dry was out of the question, so instead of being uncomfertable all night we decided to do a couple more rides and call it a night even though it was only midnight. We went back to Fantasyland for a ride on Cinderella's Golden Carousel, just because it was there and there was not wait. I actually couldn't tell you when the last time I was on a merry-go-round was! Next we took a spin on the Mad Tea Party, and then went to Tomorrowland to see what we could do there. When we got there we discovered where all the people were; it was very busy. The wait for Space was 30 minutes, so we got fastpasses for 1 a.m. in case we were still awake by then. We thought being up high at night on the AstroOrbiter would be cool, but when the line didn't move for 10 minutes we decided not to waste our time. There was no wait for Buzz Lightyear, and as usual I struggled to barely crack 25,000 points. Even when the ride was stopped and I went trigger happy on a stationary target. I'm pretty much hopeless!

It was still crowded and we were nearing the end of our energy supply, so we decided to forgo the Space Mountain and head out of the park. Main Street was delightfully empty so we did some hops and leaps in the middle of it! There was a long wait for the bus back and it looked like we would have to wait for another one, but the driver called for standing room only and we jumped at it. I actually ended up being able to sit down where there was a seat someone missed. We got back to Pop and fell into bed around 1:50 a.m. I was so overtired it was hard to fall asleep. I eventually did but woke up the next morning not feeling very rested. We definately knew we would need to take it easy the next day, and decided to sleep in.

Next up: a jolly time in the World Showcase and the best meal of our entire trip. Thanks for reading!

dolphinmickey9170
06-14-2008, 03:57 PM
What a day!! You got so much done. I just love Splash and Big Thunder at night, the view is awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

I can't wait to hear about your best meal of the trip. I'm hungry just thinking about what it could be.:beer::eat::tasty:

faline
06-14-2008, 04:57 PM
That seemed strange about the extra magic hour at Aninal Kingdom?!

Your luck with short line rides is holding! Very long and very fun day!

#1disneyfan
06-14-2008, 05:43 PM
You guys are really getting a lot done, i'm impressed! Sounds like most of your rides are walk ons. Can't wait to read the rest of your reports.

laward32
06-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Great report.
It definately seems easier to get a lot in with just the two of you. I can't wait for those days. I love going with my two girls, but I want an adult trip sometime soon.:mickey:

KylesMom
06-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Geez, your reports are exhausting me! The lack of lines is surprising - great luck for you guys, as June isn't usually so crowd-free.

We've had the same problem trying to find the wristbands for EMH, too!

I'm glad to hear you guys are sleeping in tomorrow! Another great report! :mickey:

pdrlkr
06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

pogo
06-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Another great day Nikki ! :cloud9:

Can't wait to read more. :D

disneydeb
06-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Love reading your report! Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

ChipnDaleGal
06-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Nikki, that was as close to a perfect day as you can get. you did all my favorites at the Animal Kingdom. The Nemo show makes me blubber everytime, too! :thumbsup: Your evening at Magic Kingdom sounded great too. So glad you got to see all of Spectromagic this time. I can beleive you were over tired after that long and super fun day. Thanks for reporting!

DizNee143
06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
wow yet another long busy day!! you guys sure do cram a lot into each day!! sounds like your still having a good time though and thats all that matters!! :mickey:

MauiMouse
06-18-2008, 09:34 PM
I can see why you wanted to sleep in the next day. You really accomplished a lot today. :thumbsup:

Bethanymouse
07-03-2008, 01:12 AM
What a filled day you had! You certainly managed to squeeze in a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing with us, I am really enjoying your reports!

Lizzie
07-05-2008, 08:11 PM
What a fun fulll day you had.

HndrdPrcnt
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Sounds like you are making the most of your time at Disney. Can't wait to read on!!

Kisobel
07-26-2008, 04:01 AM
wow, you guys did a lot. i'm tired just reading it.

kate

VolMickey
07-26-2008, 08:20 AM
thanks!:mickey:

Young@Heart
07-27-2008, 12:03 AM
Very strange about AK EMH, but it seems like it might have helped to keep the crowds down a little! :thumbsup:

What great reports! We do Disney the same way: go, go, go 'til we can't go anymore! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
07-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Boy, you know how to pack it in!! Love your days!

MOJoe
07-29-2008, 03:08 PM
I've got 3 comments. First, even though i have seen Mickey's Philharmagic at least a dozen times, i still reach out for Donald's hands as he is being pulled into the vortex. Second, my best trip ever was the first week of June. Looks like i should give that date another try. And third..........these are Great reports! I am looking forward to reading the rest! :mickey:

Mousemates
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
We thought being up high at night on the AstroOrbiter would be cool, but when the line didn't move for 10 minutes we decided not to waste our time.

Sigh...we love the view from there, but always forgo it for the same reasons.