PDA

View Full Version : WDW or DL with toddler?

maizey05
06-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Well, it's been 2 years since my last WDW vacation. Needless to say, I'm having major Disney withdrawls! So, here's the dilemma:
DH and I would like to plan a Disney vacation of some kind. We were thinking about going in Sept/Oct. Our DS would be 19/20 months then. We live in WA, and are wondering if we should do DL (due to the shorter flight time, less parks to do, less $, since we wouldn't need to be gone for a week or so) or WDW (less crowded than DL, more relaxing). We love both, and are just looking for what might be easiest and more enjoyable for us and DS.

Mousemates
06-13-2008, 10:25 PM
With a toddler I'd go with a trip to DL....the park has so many things that are seemingly custom made for little ones...like the storybook boats, alice in wonderland (and the other dark rides) and many of the carnival rides at CA would likely be tame enough for a three year old....the weather there in September would be better than Fla (thou october would likely be a draw)....the only drawback would be if you were going to do a lengthy visit...we felt like three days was plenty of time to do most everything at DL (by the way if you go don't miss Billy Hill and the Hillbillies show...my all time favorite live performance at WDW or DL.

kdkhopper
06-14-2008, 12:35 AM
I would agree with choosing DL for a toddler. It's much easier to head back to the hotel for an afternoon rest/swim at DL, especially if you're staying at one of Disney's hotels. Also, there's much less ground to cover and it just seems more scaled to toddlers (smaller castle, etc.) We've been to both DL and WDW but only taken my little ones to DL. We just felt like there was way more at WDW than we could reasonably see and do and still maintain our sanity. Three days and my kids (ages 3, 4, and 6 when we went) were completely blizted, even with lengthy afternoon breaks. Any more and it would have been cruel and unusual punishment for all of us!

markyv
06-14-2008, 09:08 AM
While I agree with the other posters on DL, I also think you would have no problem with WDW. My wife and I took our daughter when she was 18 months old and she absolutely loved it. She was hooked on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse at the time, and her face lit up when she would see characters that she recognized. She spent most of her time in our stroller, and slept quite a bit. I think it was our most enjoyable trip to WDW ever. With her with us, we really slowed our pace down and didn't worry about getting to see it all. Afterall, we have been several times and we just enjoy being there. I hope this helps, but I think you would be fine either way. WDW just offers more choices on site.

dfamasb
06-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I have never been to DL so I cannot offer opinions on that, but WDW is doable with little ones. Our last trip included our twins that were 2 at the time and our 6 month old DS. And we drove 1500 miles!
It depends on your and your son's temperment I think...you will know what you all can handle. As long as you go in with the right expectations you will enjoy yourselves no matter where you go!

Dakota Rose
06-15-2008, 10:49 AM
We took DS to WDW at 18 mos (Oct) and to DL at 23 mos (Mar). We all enjoyed WDW more but I can't clearly quantify why. The two things that made WDW more difficult was the flight (we were living in No Cal at the time) and hauling a stroller on/off the buses. At DL, we splurged (it was our last trip before moving to ND) and stayed at the DL Hotel. DS loved the pool and it was nice to just walk to the parks. BUT DL was crazy busy.

No matter which you choose, I highly suggest planning visits to the various play areas. DS loved Pooh's place at MK and I hadn't known about it before we got there. So our play time there was really rushed. But when we went to DLR 6 mos later, I planned a lot of play time at the little playlands like the one in DCA.

The other thing to consider is the time change. 3 hours is a big deal for a toddler.

Mad About Mickey
06-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Never been to DL but our 3 oldest children all have been to WDW as toddlers and OUR DD, 20 months, will be going for her first time this December. Our children all had great times at WDW as toddlers and I would recomend you go and start yet another young person on a life long Diney addiction.

It seems like DL would make the most sense. Your travel would be so much shorter flying to LAX insteasd of MCO and no time zone differential. The one draw back with bringing toddlers is emptying & folding up the strollers for every bus ride so DL means less parks, less bus rides. Though I must admit strollers are great for the underneath storage & the cupholders, something you don't get traveling the park without toddlers.

Having said that DL would be easier, I wouldn't let that discourage you from traveling to WDW if that is where you truly want to go. As many others will more than likely echo, toddlers reallly enjoy WDW and there are several resources at the Disney website, such as the mom's panel, with information on how to increase the enjoyment of the trip for your DS as well as you and your DH. Whichever you chose have a wonderful time, there is nothing like the smile of a child immersed in the Disney :magic:. Enjoy.

maizey05
06-17-2008, 01:35 AM
THanks for the info and advice! DH and I have decided to take DS to DLR this year. We love WDW, but think DL would be easier this year, for reasons you pointed out etc. Thanks for the help!