PDA

View Full Version : Ohana vs. ChefMickey or Concourse

Ropachs
06-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Help me decide which to eat at on our first night. We're staying at the Poly so I made an ADR at Ohana since we do not have admittance to the parks that day and I wanted to make sure we had time to check in and get to wherever our dinner will be. Ohana seemed a good choice as I had read a couple good reviews. However, lately, I've been seeing more and more poor reviews. Since we're on the monorail loop we should have time to get over to the Contemporary, so would you try to switch at this point? I'm thinking about the Concourse Steakhouse or Chef Mickey's. I don't even know if I can get an ADR this late - it's for the end of October. I'm totally up in the air, so I'm letting you all decide for me!!

Kairi_7378
06-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I think that the Concourse Steakhouse is closing. Can you tell us a little more about your group and your food preferences? What time to you plan to arrive?

O'hana seems to get some pretty good reviews here on the boards. It remains a "must do" for many of our members. However, if you decide to change...

If you want to stay on the monorail line, you can try one of the signature restaurants: CA Grill, Narcoose's, or Citrico's. Other good options would include the Grand Floridian Cafe or Kona Cafe. If you want a character meal you can always go to Chef Mickey's.

But since you're at the Poly, there are lots of other options without going into a park. You can take the monorail to the MK and then take the boat to the Wilderness Lodge, where Artist Point and Whispering Canyon Cafe are located. For that matter, you can transfer at the MK to any of the resorts at the bus stop... you can visit Boma or Jiko at AKL, Flying Fish at Boardwalk, or even head to DTD and eat there.

lockedoutlogic
06-13-2008, 04:46 PM
since concouse is closing...i definitely suggest there......

but if you miss it....i have always like ohana

chef mickey's is good....but it's buffet...so there's a little bit of a drop off in food quality

Ropachs
06-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Our flight, should it arrive on time, puts us touching down at 2pm, we don't want dinner too too late since we have a DS6 and DD2. That's limits our dinner window. We'll have them, myself, DH (who is kind of picky) and my in-laws. I am a bit concerned as it seems like there isn't much to choose from at Ohana. I orignially decided against CM's since we are doing the Crystal Palace the next morning, but it is different characters so maybe that would be okay. If I heard some folks raving about the food at Ohana, I'd stick with that. Man, you'd think I was choosing a career or spouse or something!

laprana
06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Concourse Steakhouse is officially closed. :pout: We always liked it there...but when we were there last week, it was all boarded up.

I think 'Ohana is a good choice! We ate there last Saturday and it was great, even with the new menu changes! I would also recommend Kona at the Poly.

The new restaurant at CR has opened to replace Concourse Steakhouse. It's called The Wave and I think they just started taking reservations within the last couple of weeks, so you could probably get in there if you wanted to try something new! :mickey:

McGoofy
06-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I just returned from WDW, and Ohanas was my favorite dinner of the week! I don't think you would be let down if you ate there. The food was wonderful! I just posted a trip report that has a small review of Ohanas. If you scroll down to Day 4, you can read about it.

http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=135599

Also, if you want to see pics of the food, you can scroll down to the link to my photos. I took several pictures at Ohanas. You can get a good idea of what they served. I definitely would go back if given a chance!:thumbsup:

jonahbear2006
06-13-2008, 08:06 PM
I have a lot of friends who are DVC and just regular goers and they ALL recommend Ohana. We are going in Sept. I haven't eaten there yet. They play games with the kids and it is not just a dinner but an experience to be had. If you can get reservations, take them. When you are deluxe and on monorail line, most things are pretty quick to get to so you wont have to worry about time, too much. I would vouch for almost any buffet in WDW. I loved chef mickey's, the food was excellent, so I don't know about a "drop off" in food value, so much. Actually, we had Royal Table and 50's diner and they were probably on the low end of food quality, with the exception of the fantastic milkshake I got at 50s. We love love love to eat at the resorts and they aren't as hard or time consuming to get to as it seems. Have a great time!!!!

pixie897
06-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I just came back about 5 days fro ma trip to the World and I am sad to say the Concourse Steakhouse if officially closed.

Chef Mickey's is really good if you have children and want to see the characters. It is also quite good if you are a fan of buffets.

Ohana is also very good. I have heard mixed reviewed but dined there last year and had a very pleasant experience. The food was excellent and had wonderful service.

Good luck with you decision! Have a wonderful trip! :mickey:

chick20679
06-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Help me decide which to eat at on our first night. We're staying at the Poly so I made an ADR at Ohana since we do not have admittance to the parks that day and I wanted to make sure we had time to check in and get to wherever our dinner will be. Ohana seemed a good choice as I had read a couple good reviews. However, lately, I've been seeing more and more poor reviews. Since we're on the monorail loop we should have time to get over to the Contemporary, so would you try to switch at this point? I'm thinking about the Concourse Steakhouse or Chef Mickey's. I don't even know if I can get an ADR this late - it's for the end of October. I'm totally up in the air, so I'm letting you all decide for me!!

We liked Ohana very much when we ate there in May.
My sis is a pretty picky eater, but she left full as well, as she is a meat eater and filled her self up on all the yummy skewers.

There would defintely be more 'choices' at a buffet, and characters at Chef Mickeys, but I think you'll be good at Ohana too.

big blue and hairy
06-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I would definitely stick with Ohana. DW and I have been there a couple of times and enjoyed it. Great food, fun atmosphere, and it's in your hotel!

:sulley:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
06-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Stick with Ohana's! Been the last four trips and it has become a must do for our family. If you must change there are many good options on the monorail loop. I even think the Wave which replaced Concourse is now taking ADR's. Grand Floirdian Cafe, citricos, kona, etc. are on the loop and outstanding dining options.

Vinny
06-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I would go with Ohana. Since our first dinner there a few trips ago, it has become a must do for us on all future trips. The atmosphere is fun and relaxing and the menu is great. You don't have to worry about going back and forth to get more food as it is all brought to your table. The quality and selection of food is outstanding, as is the service. We have always had a great time at Ohana. We were able to see the MK fireworks show Wishes right from our table as they pipe in the music as you watch. Ohana has consistently been one of our favorite dinners every trip to WDW. Have a good meal!!

Ropachs
06-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Okay then, Ohana it is!! Thank you all for your advice - and saving me a phone call this week;)

tink'72
06-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Help me decide which to eat at on our first night. We're staying at the Poly so I made an ADR at Ohana since we do not have admittance to the parks that day and I wanted to make sure we had time to check in and get to wherever our dinner will be. Ohana seemed a good choice as I had read a couple good reviews. However, lately, I've been seeing more and more poor reviews. Since we're on the monorail loop we should have time to get over to the Contemporary, so would you try to switch at this point? I'm thinking about the Concourse Steakhouse or Chef Mickey's. I don't even know if I can get an ADR this late - it's for the end of October. I'm totally up in the air, so I'm letting you all decide for me!! Personally, it would be easier to eat at Ohana. However, you have to like hawian and barbeque food. Chef Mickey's is a better experience.The Concourse i have never been to but if i had to pick i would totally pick chef mickeys!:mickey:

elmjimmlm
06-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Ohana would be a good first night dinner...The new restaurant in the Contemporary is Wave...I think that they are taking ADRs for it now...