PDA

View Full Version : Tim Russert Died!!

caryrae
06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and MSNBC
updated 12 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Tim Russert, NBC News’ Washington bureau chief and the moderator of “Meet the Press,” died Friday after a sudden heart attack at the bureau, NBC News said Friday. He was 58.

Russert was recording voiceovers for Sunday’s “Meet the Press” program when he collapsed, the network said. No details were immediately available.

Russert, the recipient of 48 honorary doctorates, took over the helm of “Meet the Press” in December 1991. Now in its 60th year, “Meet the Press” is the longest-running program in the history of television.

In 2008, Time Magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Timothy John Russert Jr. was born in Buffalo, N.Y., on May 7, 1950. He was a graduate of Canisius High School, John Carroll University and the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. He was a member of the bar in New York and the District of Columbia.

Senate staffer before entering journalism
After graduating from law school, Russert went into politics as a staff operative. In 1976, he worked on the Senate campaign of Daniel Patrick Moynihan, D-N.Y., and in 1982, he worked on Mario Cuomo’s campaign for governor of New York.

Russert joined NBC News in 1984. In April 1985, he supervised the live broadcasts of NBC's TODAY show from Rome, negotiating and arranging an appearance by Pope John Paul II, a first for American television. In 1986 and 1987, Russert led NBC News’ weeklong broadcasts from South America, Australia and China.

Of his background as a Democratic political operative, Russert said, “My views are not important.”

“Lawrence Spivak, who founded ‘Meet the Press,’ told me before he died that the job of the host is to learn as much as you can about your guest’s positions and take the other side,” he said in a 2007 interview with Time magazine. “And to do that in a persistent and civil way. And that’s what I try to do every Sunday.”

Cuomo, Russert’s onetime boss, wrote of Russert: “Most candidates are not eager to present themselves for Tim’s incisive scrutiny, which is fed by his prodigious study and preparation. But they have little choice: appearing on ‘Meet the Press’ is today as vital to a serious candidate as being properly registered to vote.”

Russert wrote two books — “Big Russ and Me” in 2004 and “Wisdom of Our Fathers” in 2006 — both of which were New York Times best-sellers.

Emmy for Reagan funeral coverage
In 2005, Russert was awarded an Emmy for his role in the coverage of the funeral of President Ronald Reagan. His “Meet the Press” interviews with George W. Bush and Al Gore in 2000 won the Radio and Television Correspondents’ highest honor, the Joan S. Barone Award, and the Annenberg Center’s Walter Cronkite Award.

Russert’s March 2000 interview of Sen. John McCain shared the 2001 Edward R. Murrow Award for Overall Excellence in Television Journalism. He was also the recipient of the John Peter Zenger Award, the American Legion Journalism Award, the Veterans of Foreign Wars News Media Award, the Congressional Medal of Honor Society Journalism Award, the Allen H. Neuharth Award for Excellence in Journalism, the David Brinkley Award for Excellence in Communication and the Catholic Academy for Communication’s Gabriel Award. He was a member of the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame.

Russert was a trustee of the Freedom Forum’s Newseum and a member of the board of directors of the Greater Washington Boys and Girls Club, and America’s Promise — Alliance for Youth.

In 1995, the National Father’s Day Committee named him “Father of the Year,” Parents magazine honored him as “Dream Dad” in 1998, and in 2001 the National Fatherhood Initiative also recognized him as Father of the Year.

Irish America magazine named him one of the top 100 Irish Americans in the country, and he was selected as a Fellow of the Commission of European Communities.

Russert is survived by his wife, Maureen Orth, a writer for Vanity Fair magazine, and a son, Luke.

ChipnDaleGal
06-13-2008, 04:23 PM
He has always struck me as such an intelligent and reasonable man that I have often wished he would run for President over the candidates that he covers. Very sad loss. :(

Kairi_7378
06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I am shocked! He was such a great news personality... so bright, a great moderator of debates... and a fixture in our house every Sunday. Meet the Press is one of DH's favorite shows. It sounded like Tom Brokaw had a really hard time announcing Tim's death today. It sounded like he really stressed himself out in the past few weeks with his involvement in the campaigns. He will be missed.

coloradowendyl
06-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Watching the Conventions and the upcoming election coverage will not be the same. He had the ability to unbiasedly cover both parties and had amazing knowledge of the political system.

I, too, often thought he would be a good president as he was able to see both sides of the of an issue and intellectually disseminate it.

My heart goes out to that family, especially his son, who was so close to his father!

Wendy

Nate's Grandpa
06-13-2008, 04:42 PM
This is especially sad news coming just before Fathter's Day. Tim Russert wrote a book about his relationship with his father - "Big Russ and Me".

He will certainly be missed.

RedSoxFan
06-13-2008, 05:15 PM
This is so shocking and very sad. The elections just won't be the same without him. He was such a great journalist and he will be truly missed by all. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.:(

J9
06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
This is so very very sad. He really connected with his audience so much so that they felt like they knew him. My mother is actually in tears right now.

Tim Russert was the commencement speaker at my college several years ago. He gave the best commencement address we'd had in recent memory.

He will sorely be missed and I wish his family well. He sounds like he was a good person, and very devoted, and we can all only hope to be like him - a true class act!

disneydeb
06-13-2008, 05:37 PM
This is very sad news. He will be missed.

Melanie
06-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Wow, what a great shock! :( Tom Brokaw looked absolutely devastated delivering the news. What a great family man he was!

I will certainly miss watching him. He was very good at what he did. I enjoyed catching Meet the Press when I could, and I know my mom never missed it. She'd tape it if she was going to miss it while at church.

Such sad news!

PirateLover
06-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Very shocking. He definitely seemed like a good guy. A lot of times you can tell which way a newscaster leans politically, even though they are supposed to be non partisan. Russert was one of the most even handed newscasters I've had the pleasure of watching. Another scary thing is that he was only 58. Both of my parents just turned 58. I can't even imagine either of them taking a heart attack. His family must be utterly devestated. God bless, may he rest in peace.

SBETigg
06-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Very shocking and sad. I watch the Today Show, Meet the Press, and a lot of MSNBC. I can't quite believe that he's gone. Heartbreaking.

My heart goes out to Big Russ, his son Luke, his wife Maureen, and his entire NBC family.

conorsmom2000
06-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Mike was on the computer when the news popped up on yahoo, so we quickly turned on MSNBC. :( Such sad news - he will definitely be missed. When they showed some footage of a special they did on him and his Dad, after his book came out, I couldn't help but cry. He was so close to his Dad, as well as his own son. :( My heart goes out to all his friends and family. We always watched NBC during the elections because his reporting was excellent and he just had a great way of reaching his audience, and with good humor too (and we loved when he would take out his white board!) A very sad loss.

Hammer
06-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I am so saddened by this news :crying: ! Watching Meet the Press was a part of my Sunday just as much as going to Mass. Watching the coverage on MSNBC today, you saw just how much he was loved and respected by friends, colleagues and politicians on both sides of the political aisle. Something will be be missing from Election Night and it will seem so strange without him.

How appropriate that there was a white board left outside of the Washington bureau of NBC News which simply said "Tim, we will surely miss you".

ibrowse17
06-14-2008, 11:36 AM
He will be missed more than we think, and our thoughts are with his family.

KarenP
06-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I was shocked and saddened to hear of his sudden passing. He will be sorely missed.

Ian
06-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Very sad. Russert was one of the few people anywhere these days who wasn't caught up in all the partisanship. He truly tried to maintain the neutrality that members of the media are supposed to display but very rarely do.

It's a big loss when one of the very, very few voices of reason is gone.

Another scary thing is that he was only 58. Both of my parents just turned 58. I can't even imagine either of them taking a heart attack.Sadly, I can ... my Father passed from a heart attack at only age 55. 3 years later almost to the day, my best friend's Father died of a heart attack at age 54.

It can happen ... trust me. :(

PirateLover
06-14-2008, 08:57 PM
It can happen ... trust me. :(

Oh I know... heck Johnny Marz died at 45 of a heart attack.. but still it seems too young these days with life expectancy continuing to rise. It's always a shock.

SBETigg
06-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Oh I know... heck Johnny Marz died at 45 of a heart attack.. but still it seems too young these days with life expectancy continuing to rise. It's always a shock.

I'm still in shock. I simply can't imagine Meet the Press, and then next week's Today Show, without cutting to Tim for an assessment. His wife and son were in Italy, and I have been in tears imagining them getting the news and having to make the long trip home knowing that he's already gone. How do you do that? I know people have had to face that and have done it and gone on, but wow, what a lot to fathom.

murphy1
06-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I got through two minutes of MTP this morning and that was all I could watch, it was too hard to see his empty chair. It's so sad, it's amazing to see how many people he touched in life. We need more great people like him in this world. I'm grateful for the fact that his son got to be a grown man and know who his father was, but yes, still way too young to pass away. When I was in Chicago about 14 years ago I met the Russian ice skaters who won the gold medal, Ekaterina and Grinkoff and he was just this beautiful, strong man, then he had a heart attack and died a couple years after that.

Ian
06-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Oh I know... heck Johnny Marz died at 45 of a heart attack.. but still it seems too young these days with life expectancy continuing to rise. It's always a shock.As my Dad always used to say, "No matter when you go, it's too young!"

RenDuran
06-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Tim Russert looked just a vet at our veterinarian's office....I rarely watched the show for the political aspect, but to see how much he looked like Dr. G!

ChipnDaleGal
06-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I drove to work in tears this morning after watching Luke on the Today show this morning. What a fabulous kid. He was so composed and so articulate, and he has the same friendly and trustworthy demeanor that his dad had. It was sad, but also very inspiring to see what a wonderful relationship they had and what it meant to Luke. Very touching bit of television.

coloradowendyl
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I watched Luke's interview this morning as well. You could see how hard it was for Matt Lauer to conduct it without breaking down.

Luke is a true tribute to his father. His ability at his age to be as poised and articulate as he was in the interview proved what a great job both of his parents did raising him!

Wendy