PDA

View Full Version : Is Tonga Toast better at one or the other?

Texas Tinkerbell Too
06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Okay, I have heard mixed reviews. My DH really wants to try the Tonga Toast this time. I made a breakfast ADR at Kona. However, I would rather use a CS for breakfast. I feel it is a better value to save TS for dinner.

So, would he be disappointed in the Tonga Toast at Captain Jacks? Is it really better (fresher) at Kona?

DDuck66
06-13-2008, 10:53 AM
We just got back from staying at the POLY in May. While I did not have the Tonga Toast, we found that the food and service was much better at the Kona than at Capn Cooks. Capn Cooks was really noisy, crowded, and you felt rushed. The Kona is well worth it for breakfast. I had the fruit salad in a hollowed out pineapple and it was to die for. My DW went a little more traditional and had an omelet which she really liked. I would vote for Kona's over Capn Cooks any time.

Epc0tphr34k
06-13-2008, 11:08 AM
i would get it at kona, you can pay out of pocket for the one meal if you are concerned with using your TS. that is usually what we do for the one breakfast we have at a TS sites. kona usually is not that expensive baarring everyone in the party getting the kona coffee

Septbride2002
06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
I would do the Tonga Toast at Kona. Look at it as a BIG breakfast day, you might be able to even skip lunch.

Besides - sometimes ya gotta let the husband have a say in the planning ;)

~Amanda

Texas Tinkerbell Too
06-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Okay, thanks for the quick responses. Yes, we will probably just pay out of pocket. It doesn't look to be very expensive. Fortunately, DH would be the only one drinking Kona coffee.

Yes, your right I do need to let him have his say in the planning. Please don't tell him I even thought of cancelling our ADR.:secret:

RBrooksC
06-13-2008, 11:27 AM
We loved Kona's when we went. I can't remember the name of the juice there but even though it is expensive, it is fantastic.

The breakfast was the only one we had that was quiet and relaxed. And, due to the day we were there, we could get on the monorail and be at the MK for opening. Being there off-season does have advantages.

kathymk616
06-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I love Kona for breakfast. And I believe it is a little less expensive than other TS for breakfast. We love to eat a big breakfast, so I always order the Big Kahuna plate when I go to Kona. Yum!:thumbsup:

AuntLaura
06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
We just got back from a trip. We love Tonga Toast and tried eating at Captain Cook's this trip. We went at 730AM before it was really busy and ate outside. The Tonga Toast was just as good. It was about $3.00 cheaper than if you eat at Kona. They also have the Big Kahuna. The down side was the coffee - I really don't like the generic Nescafe they were serving. The coffee at Kona is much better. Good luck with your decision.

Bethanymouse
06-15-2008, 11:34 AM
We love the KONA! Tonga toast is wonderful. We pay out of pocket for our one table service breakfast and we really enjoy it!

Kairi_7378
06-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Is there really a difference between getting the toast at Kona vs. Captian Cooks'? I had read on a few other web sites that it was better to get it at the CS place due to cost (if you're not a big sit down breakfast person).

Jean
06-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I hate bananas but love Tonga Toast, I ask them to just leave the bananas out. I have been lucky twice at Kona to have it stuffed with strawberries instead, but most of the time they tell me it can't be done.

Hull-onian
06-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Tonga Toast is good at Kona. Thought I was in dining heaven after my first bite. But keep this in mind, if you go to RFC at AK (must have ressies) they also have Tonga Toast. How can you go wrong?:thumbsup:

Nini
06-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Just to let you know, the Tonga Toast at the Rainforest Cafe at AK is not the same. It is your basic French toast with fresh berries on top. It's very good, but not what most of us think of as Tonga Toast.

Denise :mickey:

EvilQueen2006
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Even better (in my opinion) than the tonga toast at Kona are the pinapple macadamia nut pancakes. You cannot get these at Captain Cooks. But as for the Toga toast, it is the same at captain cook's but a smaller portion and a bit cheaper.

jpH/keD
06-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Mmmmmm! You guys are making me hungry! I don't do bananas either but I would be right there for the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes! That is it! We are staying at the Poly for our next trip! :thumbsup:

Aggie97
06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm not a huge breakfast eater, so I'm always happy with the Tonga Toast from Captain Cook's. My husband usually runs over and gets it to-go while I'm getting ready in the morning. We eat it in the room and head right to a park! :mickey: