PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pan ride

mel
06-13-2008, 12:42 AM
I am curious: How far off the ground are the ships at the Peter pan ride? Also, what does the ride look like when the lights are on?

Main Street Jim
06-13-2008, 10:49 AM
The boats are about 6-10 feet above the floor, depending on where you are in the attraction. And it doesn't look all that different with the lights on.

dmosher
06-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I agree. You can see some of the supports and hanging wires, but otherwise, it's still pretty convincing. Just don't look up or the whole "Hey we're flying" thing... totally ruined! hehe
:pipes:
D

italiangrl.08
06-13-2008, 06:48 PM
YEah 6-10 ft sounds about right! If you are worried it is basically like a little kid ride just a bit higher!!!!!:mickey:

katzctkpt
06-13-2008, 11:39 PM
It is probably one of my favorite rides for childhood memories. You're about 6 ft off the ground but, your so into the props etc.. I don't think you pay attention to how high you are. At least I don't.

LudwigVonDrake
06-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Forget how high you are and enjoy the Magic :tink:

TheRustyScupper
06-14-2008, 09:32 AM
1) It is an optical illusion.
2) Yes, you appear to be 6-10 feet above the surface.
3) But, in the London night air, your senses are warped.
4) The theory is that it is the effect of the Pixie Dust.
5) That is also why Peter and Wendy weren't afraid of heights.

NOTE: Don't be afraid of the height. It is the g-forces of the hard-turn toward the second star to the right that gets ya.

AdventurerKim
06-14-2008, 09:39 AM
I love this ride and ride is multiple times on every trip, but it needs a refurb.

garymacd
06-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Never mind how high the ride is: the real question is, "Why is this ride so incredibly popular?"

Every time we try to get on, there is a 45 - 60 minute wait.

Incredible!

RBrooksC
06-16-2008, 07:39 AM
I think one reason for the popularity of the ride is the beginning of it. The flight into the bedroom then out the window, seeing Nana below and then over the city of London with the car lights moving down below the car and then past the spinning moon.

That image still sticks with me from the first time I visited MK back in 1976 and I still love it to this day.

disneydeb
06-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I LOVE Peter Pan. I never miss it!:thumbsup:

thrillme
06-16-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm probably the only one who wasn't super impressed. We finally rode it a couple of years ago and it just didn't seem to be as "technically" superior as I expected it to be. Most everything was stationary.

garymacd
06-19-2008, 09:20 AM
I think one reason for the popularity of the ride is the beginning of it. The flight into the bedroom then out the window, seeing Nana below and then over the city of London with the car lights moving down below the car and then past the spinning moon.

That image still sticks with me from the first time I visited MK back in 1976 and I still love it to this day.

Yeah, I love that part.

TIGGER17179
06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Never mind how high the ride is: the real question is, "Why is this ride so incredibly popular?"

Every time we try to get on, there is a 45 - 60 minute wait.

Incredible!

This is the reason we never ride it!! It's always way too long and extremly hot!

jrkcr
06-19-2008, 10:05 AM
I was asking DH this same exact question earlier this week! How high did he think it went, etc. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sits and ponders these things....

My favorite part is the flying above London-all the lights are so pretty!! And every time I ride it, I notice something new!

When we won a "dream" from a CM named Maureen :pixie: at DL, she offered us front of the line on any ride....we picked PP! We had skipped it earlier that day because of the wait. So we were able to walk to the front, and get right on! How cool!! :cool: I won't mention everything else that Maureen did for us-it would lead to a whole different topic-but I did write up about it/her in my DL parks post.

PP is all about imagination and becoming part of the story. :thumbsup: I would NOT want to ever see it with the lights on.

Belle619
06-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I just think part of the fun is that you are given a different perspective than all the other dark rides. In the other dark rides, you're on the ground looking at scenery around and above you - but with PP, you're really immersed into the "flying" story line of Peter Pan when looking down upon the characters.

Imagineer1981
06-19-2008, 05:16 PM
i love this ride but the wait is almost unbearable!!!

Jasper
06-19-2008, 05:34 PM
I think Peter Pan is so popular because it is at the heart of what we expect Walt Disney World to be! We look for innocent attractions that allow us to visit places we can only dream of and where our imagination can soar to fill in all the little details that may or may not actually be there. And as for the kids in the family it is just fun to visit the place where only Peter and guests can normally go!

Red Randal
06-19-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm almost positive that this ride was down during my first visit to WDW because I have absolutely NO fond childhood memories (or memories whatsoever) of it.

I've been on it a few times and it's a great dark ride but not worth a 45 minute wait for me, at least. For families with children and those who DO have great memories of it then 45 minutes may be very well worth it. Personally it's a party night 5 minute wait ride for me, though.

Von-Drake
06-20-2008, 07:29 AM
This is one my son's three favorite rides. We cannot go, without riding it at least 3-4 times during or visit. He absolutely loves it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
We're big height wimps in our family, and Peter Pan never seems to be "high" to us...I'm acutally surprised that it as high as 10feet!

DD loves this ride, so we end-up FastPass'ing it a couple of times, no way I'm waiting 60 minutes!

The first time we rode, I was a little freaked about the whole nothing underneath you thing, so DH convinced me that, like when you load, there is a track below you AND above you...:confused:

Pixie Power
06-20-2008, 12:19 PM
This is the reason we never ride it!! It's always way too long and extremly hot!

FastPass baby...FastPass! :thumbsup: