PDA

View Full Version : anybody decorate their room???

Lori Anne
06-12-2008, 05:32 PM
We are planning our next trip for early december '09, I love all the Christmas decorations in the parks!! I was wondering, has anyone here ever decorated or have had their room decorated for the Holidays?? I have read somewhere that there are companies in the Orlando area that will do that for you (for a hefty fee I assume! ;) we will be getting 2 rooms at the AKL (we love it there!!!) and bringing my mom in law, who's NEVER been!! we are SO excited!!
Thank you all!! have a magical day!!
Lori.

1975 - Off Site
1997 - GKTW wish trip
2003- ASMovies
2005 - AKL

andreallybadeggs
06-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Couldn't afford the custom decorating jobs but since we had our own transportation, we bought a few things at Wal Mart and let the kids decorate a small tree. Holiday Season in WDW...ahhhhh
:cloud9: :santa::santa:

KineGirl
06-12-2008, 05:57 PM
IDK what they cost of custom decorating would be either but if youre driving you could always bring your own or if youre renting a car, stop and pick up a few things.

Im not sure what they allow at AKL since they have their own rules about everything it seems because of the animals. (Theyre worth it :cloud9:) Im sure you cant decorate your patio but you may be able to in your room. A tree would be a tight squeeze in the standard rooms unless it was a small table top tree. I would check with AKL to see what you can and cannot do...

We've stayed at OKW during Christmas and were able to decorate our villas including the patios & doors and it was so much fun!! I would def look into it!

wendy*darling
06-12-2008, 06:39 PM
One year we shipped a box ahead.
We arrived on Christmas evening, and in the box was a small tree, lights for the tree and the patio doors, decorations, etc.
I packed the Muppet Christmas Carol DVD and microwave popcorn and hot chocolate for our traditional Christmas night together in the villa.
I had purchased AMC gift cards at home and gift wrapped them, put them in the box. The plan was to see a movie one night at DTD.

My mistake, however, was to ship it by US Postal Service. I had confirmation that it was delivered on the Friday before we arrived (we got there on a Sunday evening). But no one at the desk had any idea where it was. And since the working hoilday was on Monday- it took until Tuesday for anyone to find my box. I was very upset- and it destroyed our Christmas night- but we survived.

What I learned was to ALWAYS us FedEx or UPS, and never USPS again. FedEx and UPS deliver right to the resort. The post office does not. Even though it is addressed to the resort's address- all US Mail goes to a clearinghouse- and apparently sits for a couple of days.
Sorry for the long story- I just hope it helps others.

Anyway- my recommendation is to ship a box of goodies ahead, decorated the room and enjoy Christmas in the parks and in your room!

Dsnygirl
06-12-2008, 10:24 PM
We've shipped a box ahead, as well, although it was for MNSSHP and had our costumes, etc. We also used FedEx, and the box was waiting for us when we arrived (although it did take a few people at ASSp to locate it...)

:santa3: This time, we're going for Christmas, and we're packing a suitcase with some decorations, albeit inexpensive ones, that we can leave behind at the resort and then use that suitcase for souveneirs.

We're taking two mini trees and lights, some mini ornaments (those will come home w/ us) and three wreaths that I can wire together to be a Mickey head for the window. Not sure what else yet... but I can't wait!! :tree:

Flower
06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
TAKE SUCTION CUP HOOKS WITH YOU!!!!! The clear suction cups that stick to windows.

They do not sell them at the parks and you will need them if you want to hang lights in your room window!!!

I have decorated with our Halloween Mickey Lights, our Christmas Mickey Lights & I even decorated our window with DH's marathon medallion & my 2 son's kids race medals!:thumbsup: Oh, and our Mickey pumpkin garland!

wendy*darling
06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
TAKE SUCTION CUP HOOKS WITH YOU!!!!! The clear suction cups that stick to windows.
:ditto: Excellent suggestion- and essential as well!!!

Mousemates
06-13-2008, 10:14 PM
By all means decorate, it makes it so much more fun and gives your room a truly homy feel when you come back in (and helps put smiles on lots of other faces as well)....we have a little tree we're bringing with us when we drive down this December.

mitchsfan
06-14-2008, 11:38 AM
We decorated this past December tip. My M-I-L had a tree that if you clapped in front of it, the tree will sing to you. It was a small tree maybe 2 feet tall.

I shipped that, a Winnie the Pooh and Piglet Christmas doll, and some window cling ons.

I used the Postal Service and had no problem. I shipped it Saturday afternoon and it arrived by Tuesday night.

KevMcNJ
06-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I brought a string of Christmas lights and wrapped them around the window frame of our first floor room when we stayed at the GF in December 1991.

Other guests loved it and the Hotel Staff had no problem with us doing it.

dfamasb
06-14-2008, 12:39 PM
We went in December for the first time on our last trip and saw lots of decorated windows at POP. I hadn't even thought to do something like that. We will be staying in a family suite in ASMu this December and I can't wait to do a little decorating! We drive so packing a few extra things is no big deal.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Have been decorating for birthdays, but brought stuff this December to get our "holiday on" at the CBR. Found a lighted palm tree at Walgreens, and thought it would make the perfect Caribbean Christmas tree. Added pirate and princess ornaments--fun! Of course I couldn't stop there and strung tinsel over the beds complete w/ candy canes and stockings hanging on the coathooks! This past trip we were so excited about the Pirate and Princess party that we found a huge Pirate beach scene banner at the party store, and added Disney characters to it to fix up our window. (It does help make finding your room easier, too!:blush:)

Young@Heart
06-15-2008, 01:04 AM
We usually put our Potato Heads in the window. This year, I might put up a sign wishing DH and me Happy Anniversary! :mickey:

Georgesgirl1
06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
We have never personally decorated our room, but if you are going to be there during December make sure that you visit the Fort Wilderness Campground to check out how the RV's are decorated. Some of the snowbirds stay several months and they really go all out. It is a fun time and a nice walk. You can also pay for a carriage ride if you want. You can then head over to the campfire, sing-along and movie if it isn't too chilly.

Kristin

spoonfulosugar
06-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I surprised everyone in our family with a mini tree for each room. Don't forget to pack some homemade Christmas cookies too! My mom took care of that...everyone got their own speciall little tin filled with all our favorites so it felt like home. Stockings are a good idea too...and they don't take up much room. Falling asleep in a WDW hotel room with twinkling Christmas lights is pretty cool.

MsMin
06-17-2008, 09:06 PM
I've decorated my room and I usually try to match the theming of the resort to the room. At pop century I used a little 3ft silver tree w/ bright ornaments and ribbon to match the lobby ribbons. I made tye-dyed stockings and hung them in the window w/ suction cups and framed the window w/ a string of lights (suction cups again) I think it was 100 ct set that fit the window perfectly.
AT BWV I made a more traditional them and old fashioned stockings and hung them in the room near the table.
I get a little tree when they go on sale at Hobby Lobby for about $7. and wire the ornaments to the tree and it folds up snuggly back in the box. This way I don't have to spend time decorating a tree. My plan was to leave the tree if we didn't have room on the trip back but haven't been able to part with one yet.
Last April I hung and LSU flag to greet ppl from home!

MMouse6937
06-18-2008, 10:14 AM
These are all such great ideas, I guess I never really thought about it, but we will be there from 12/10-12/15 and I think I might bring a few things to decorate. I'm so looking forward to all the decorations and getting into the spirit (I was somewhat scroogey last year). Thanks for all the suggestions.....now where did I put my suction cups??!! :D

Lori Anne
06-18-2008, 06:58 PM
what wonderful suggestions!! we will be flying down, so what I will probably do, is go to our local AC Moore after Christmas this year, and get a small tabletop tree on after-christmas sale, and try and find some mini ornaments and add lights of course!! the window clings are a great idea too!! thank you SO much!! oh! and I won't forget my suction cup hooks! :)
thank you from cape cod!!!

Simba'sBud
06-19-2008, 02:00 PM
We were there this past Christmas and stayed at POP. We drove and were able to bring our own decorations with us which was really fun. Our Mousekeeper would even utilize some of our decorations for her displays with the towel animals! The decorations also help keep the holiday spirit alive while you are away from all the wonderful Christmas theming at the parks and other resorts.

Keep it simple though and definitely don't forget the suction cup hooks as some have mentioned earlier!!

Septbride2002
06-19-2008, 02:15 PM
When we were down at Disney during the College Football season people decorated their Boardwalk Balconies with stuff for their team!

We are planning on going Dec 2009 and I plan on sending down a tree with some ornaments ahead of us, as well as some static clings for Chloe to play with on the door.

~Amanda