PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Economy causing changes in plans?

Giselle
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
It seems like a lot of people are going from deluxe hotels to moderates or values or cutting back on the number of nights to save money? Is the economy causing anyone to have to make changes such as this to save money and do you think the crowds will be lighter or any other changes at DW?

dolphinmickey9170
06-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I am fortunate enought to have DVC and an AP, so those things help us out. I just have to decide if flying or driving is going to be that big of a difference. When I work out the #'s for fuel with the current gas prices, here's how it comes out.

$85 to fill my tank - x5 tanks of fuel to get to and return from Disney = $425 - not to mention the wear and tear for 2,000 miles.
Plus the cost of stopping at every snack and drink machine between here and FL plus the restroom stops, then we usually stop for a hotel ($70) in SC because we are all to tired to keep going, then I get so fatigued that I cannot enjoy the first day. So I figure the $700 for three adult round trip tickets with SW is worth every penny.
We also use the DDP, which works out saving us money in the long run.

So, now that I have danced around the question with all my answers, we aren't changing anything this time.

ToraTory
06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I personally, would give up my starbucks each morning before I would even consider changing any Disney plans. For me my annual trips to WDW are part of my soul, my refruge from the "real world". If I didn't have a count down in progress until my next Disney fix I would not be able to work as hard as I do. Does this mean I'm obessive compulsive when it comes to Disney, YES, but there are much much worse things I could be addicted.

Is there a 12 step program for disney-a-holics? I certainly hope not :mickey:

I say life is short, go for it, go make a ressie right now, figure out the details later. -- tory

MickeyMousse
06-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Fortunately, we are DVC members so I feel like our trip is already paid for except for passes, food and travel.
We usually purchase AP's, which are discounted thru DVC and end up cheaper than length of stay pasees. This time we are thinking about doing the DDP, which seems to save some $$ on food. As for travel, even with the current gas prices it saves us $ to drive than fly.

avantgardeinker
06-12-2008, 10:14 AM
We've decided our limit for gas prices is $5 a gallon. If it goes up past that we're not going at all. Otherwise we're trying to get a DVC resort with my in-laws timeshare exchange program. If not, we'll be staying off property in a different timeshare that we can get into.

:mickey:

DDuck66
06-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Since we usually save up and prepay our vacations, we still spend about the same as always. I do watch out for using our charge cards more, I try and stick with the cash that we have allotted for the trip.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
06-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I chose that we are not changing anything at all at this time.

Ian
06-12-2008, 11:20 AM
No reason for us to make changes. Our salaries are the same, we own DVC, AP's ... we have three total trips planned for this year and will definitely take them all.

We haven't changed resort selections either. We stayed at AKL (cash) and OKW (points) in May, we're staying at the Grand Floridian (cash/free dining) in September, and SSR (points) in December.

lockedoutlogic
06-12-2008, 11:26 AM
No changes for us...at least no financially....

an infant does decrease your frequency of travel though....but that is a different issue....

I am probably one of the few that hopes for a big slack off in travel in the next couple of years.....

I have not liked the experience as much the last 4 years as i had before.....the dining plan.....the shortage of accomodations....the 180 dining reservations.....the throngs of people almost 12 months a year

not one bit.....i'm sure disney will cry....but i'm actually looking forward to a little less zeal in travel and a decrease in volume.....Disney at Maximum capacity and Disney at 50% is a completely different experience

MickeyandTink
06-12-2008, 12:16 PM
We are able to go back this year due to free dining. However, travel plans were on hold for awhile during time of rising airfares. Fortunately, we were able to book another package (including airfare and still with free dining) that saved us almost $300 from our original plans (It did necessitate a change of dates to a slightly less desirable time, but still for the same amount of days).

Rising gas and food costs have elimated some of our other travel plans for the summer, though.

Disney_Barbie
06-12-2008, 12:22 PM
We have APs (so that's all set) and actually when we got the amazing INTERCOT discount at the dolphin, we extended out trip almost an extra week!

Don't get me wrong, the economy is effecting us, but like others have mentioned, we'll cut out about everything BUT disney!

However, we were just discussing this the other day. This is our 3rd yr in a row of going sometime during the free dinning promotion, and for the past 2 years, booking any kind of dinning ressie, has been torture (booked literally like 3-4 months in advance) But this year, we haven't noticed a problem at all. We actually just changed one ressie a couple of days ago and they had TONS of time options for us to choose from. I commented to my DH that I wondered if less people were going this year since there were still SO MANY open dinning ressies.

KineGirl
06-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Im also a fortunate DVC owner who also happens to be the child of DVC owners and CM so it helps quite a bit. I suspect though that if we didnt have the DVC and/or the CM parent it would cut into our budget one way or another.

bruin1344
06-12-2008, 01:14 PM
nothing really because my friend has dvc and booked flight early enough to avoid surcharges, i am looking for more discounts on park tix

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
We've had to change the resort. We typically stay in a moderate but will be trying a value for the first time. With the cost of gas and food we'll be putting the money difference into that.

Gator
06-12-2008, 03:39 PM
I'll be staying in a Moderate as usual, getting the dining plan again, and I'll even be staying 2 more days than I usually do. If I can find a good deal, I might even try a low end deluxe. I got my flights before they went out of control (although they were considerably more than last time). If anything, I'm upgrading.

kadesha
06-12-2008, 03:50 PM
We'll be staying a value as usual. We're only getting base tickets and staying for less time. We will NOT be going to downtown disney. (I always blow lots of money there! :blush:) Our package is as basic as it can get, and we're still having to save pennies to make it happen!

Polynesian Dweller
06-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Not changing anything. Life is too short to stop doing things that bring as much pleasure as Disney.

Jasper
06-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Because so many people plan and pay for WDW vacations many months in advance I don't think you will see a huge amount of change in the short run. However, if things continue to be bad then you will likely see a dip later in the year. In general I would say that you will not see much change before September or so. Of course that is just a guess but who knows?

snerd475
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Not changing anything. Life is too short to stop doing things that bring as much pleasure as Disney.

Couldn't have said it better myself, PD! I actually checked two: spending the same as always AND using discounts, since I always take advantage of FL resident room rates and 3 or 4 day play passes. Also, for my next trip in Dec. , I used the bounce-back offer when there in May. Got AKL for $177 a night. Can't complain about that. For me, the hotel is a big part of the WDW experience, so I prefer to stay at a mod or lower-end deluxe rather than a value.

GrmGrninGost
06-12-2008, 06:18 PM
We're still going, but will take advantage of any discount available! We did an extra trip Memorial Day week, which we had to cut a day short and watch the dining expenses. We'll be going back in September on the free dining plan. Hopefully we won't have to scrimp on that one! :mickey:

RalsFam
06-12-2008, 06:47 PM
This our first time to WDW. My wife and I have been saving up for awhile so no big deal this time. Next time, who knows?
We haven't even gone yet and I am about ready to start planning another trip!

laward32
06-12-2008, 06:53 PM
IF I get to go this year, I will be spending the same amount as I have on every other trip. I am 34 and finally graduated with my bachelor's degree. So it depends on when my boss gives me my BIG raise for having my degree completed. If she gives it in time I hope to get my yearly trip in. If not I will have to start looking for a new job, so that pushes my trip until fall of 09. I hope I don't have to do that.:mickey:

disneydeb
06-12-2008, 06:57 PM
We willl be going in December. Christmas will be slim this year at home. We will just give our grown daughters money. Gage (grandson) will have some presents to open. We are staying at a Value and on the Basic Dining plan, but that is normal for us. We are usually very thrifty.:)

Crow
06-12-2008, 09:50 PM
have the free dining in Sept 4 nights. waiting for AP rates to add on 4 more nights.
actually may stay at a more exp place since im thinking of making this my last trip for awhile

Harriet
06-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm planning next year and have downgraded to a Mod but not because of the ecomany but because of retirement. Will be looking for any discount or value offer that MJ is able to get me. I have had to miss 2 years now because of other major expenses I have had to deal with. Now depending on Airfare prices and gas prices I will have to decide my mode of transportation to and from WDW. I stil have 15 months to see what will happen but as for now it still is a GO.

katzctkpt
06-15-2008, 11:41 PM
We are going a couple days after Christmas so, that is part of our gifts. The amount we spend will be around the same or maybe more. The kids have asked if they could have money instead of gifts so they could buy more at Disney. We are considering the request just haven't made the final decision.

AHOTE
06-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Everything has been factored in for our trip in November, DVC at SSR, DDP, DDE & AP, so the only surprise will be our airfare which will be booked as soon as Southwest posts fares and flight schedules for that time frame. Last year we had non-stop round trip for a whopping $158.00 each. I'm planning on at least double that. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed.

Lucyrella
06-16-2008, 12:48 AM
We only do one big vacation a year, and actually with the economy the way it is, the only thing we changed was we decided to fly instead of drive. After calculating the cost of gas from Evansville to Orlando, the two hotel nights that we need since having 2 children under the age of 5, and the cost of food, we decided the airfare from Nashville to Orlando was well justified.... all four of us roundtrip for $600. I have a free night at a Nashville hotel, so actually we are coming out a head due to the economy. So we are patiently waiting for our turn at the most magical place on earth.:mickey:

Septbride2002
06-16-2008, 10:44 AM
We took our trip this year already and fortunantly we didn't have to change much - DVC helps with this alot. :thumbsup: We did however changed up on dining a bit. Instead of doing multiple TS resturants, we did counter service more. Also if we did a TS we tried to do it during the lunch hour when the prices are cheaper.

We won't go again until Dec 2009 - and I am trying to save $30.00 a month towards our flight. I don't want to have to drive and we have to buy 3 tickets. If we could pay for that with cash, use the DVC, then the only thing we have to worry about is food. We are planning on doing a 1 bedroom and I will be cooking in the room a bit more then I did last time.

~Amanda

MushuGrl
06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Nothing much is changing for us, except maybe not as much mad money for souvenirs, and we won't do a table service every night as we usually do.

That is, unless an awesome deal is released for the magical week in December. Then game on!

We were lucky enough to get a great deal on plane tickets, only about forty bucks a piece higher than last year. Flying saves us a couple hundred bucks, and because of that, we're able to stay at a mod.

Goofster
06-16-2008, 11:34 AM
We just built a new house, so a lot of our money has been put into the house this year. DW and I decided that a 2009 Disney trip was definately doable, but we put a cost limit on what we were willing to spend.

The only thing we changed was not adding an additional day to our 2009 trip. In Feb 08 we went from Sunday-Friday and planned on staying until Saturday in Feb. 09. However, the plane fare that we got ($128 round trip per person) jumped to $250 round trip per person if we departed on Saturday. We couldn't justify spending an additional $560 on airfare for one additional night, so we're sticking with the same amount of days/nights as our past trip. We're still renting DVC points, still doing DDP, and still doing park hopper.

We love Disney so much and DW and I believe that a trip there every year builds so many great memories and sets a great foundation for our kids to enjoy family and we hope they will continue it with their own kids. We always find ways to cut corners here and there to make a Disney trip work. :D

2MuchWDFun
06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
My husband and I were actually planning an Alaskan cruise this year...however, between college tuition and a slight decrease in my income (I'm a REALTOR) we couldn't afford the cruise and decided to spend a week at WDW. We are taking advantage of the free dining...I have to admit we were considering going to a value resort to save $500, but we love POFQ.

Airfare on Southwest was "only" $165 per person. I feel lucky that we got a good price on transportation. We can't drive there for less.

We are looking forward to escaping for a week to a magical place!

vicster
06-17-2008, 12:58 PM
It would be very difficult giving up our annual trip to WDW. We are trying a moderate this year instead of a deluxe and staying an extra nite.

BritCody
06-19-2008, 07:04 AM
We haven't changed much as to our typical planning, but I am more conscious of the spending this time around. We either stay at Value or Moderate resorts anyway. I was brought up with the belief that that you only spend a few hours in your room sleeping and showering so why spend so much on a room. I looked for the cheapest airfare and rental car deals and I found pretty good deals. I also find myself using my Disney Visa more often so points will be earned to use while we are on our trip.

Kairi_7378
06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
I voted for taking advantage of special discounts, because I always use AAA to make my arrangements. On our next trip we will probably try to get some quotes from Magical Journeys as well, to see if there are any other savings that we can add. I'm not doing this because of the economy... I'm doing this because I like to save cash in general :)

We're not going this year. Not because I lost my job but because I am having a baby and my husband didn't think it would be a good idea to go. He said that he'd miss me too much on EE and Mission Space to have a good time on them. When we do go again, I have a feeling that we will book for the same amount of time in a moderate resort, same as always. The only reason I see to go with a value is if DH wants something with a kid friendly theme for the baby. Depending on when we go again we will have to make a decision about the dining plan, because goodness knows what they are going to change it by the time we're ready to take the baby!

DisneyCouture
06-19-2008, 10:17 AM

So True!!!:thumbsup:

biodtl
06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
This was supposed to be our first time in a deluxe, but we scaled back to a moderate. But since we have only stayed in values before, it is still an upgrade.

I would happily stay at another value, too - especially if the alternative was cutting back on days.

sonayo74
06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
We're going in mid-October. We are driving instead of flying like we planned. This is going to cut our expenses by $1,200.

Fortunately, we got a 40% discount on our room at POP, so our lodging cost was pretty cheap.

We don't do table service restaurants and prefer to eat off-property for dinner, so our food costs are never really too high.

My in-laws are providing our 3 children with spending money and my husband and I don't spend a lot on souvenirs.

BriarRose
06-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Since driving is not an option for us (we're in Oregon) if gas prices do not go down in the future, this may be our last trip to WDW for a long while. Luckily we locked in our airfare before the prices went up and we have AP's from last year's trip. I am also using my Disney Visa like crazy to get rewards dollars and am saving my spare change. Between those two options, I almost have half the hotel stay paid for.

I, too, am selfishly hoping the rising prices will mean the parks aren't too crowded and maybe deeper discounts from Disney to apply to our hotel.

Dopey's Girl
06-19-2008, 12:23 PM
If anything I'm spending more for this trip. I'm staying in a Deluxe (I'm usually a Mod girl), we are eating more TS meals, and we are doing MNSSHP as well as normal park days.

I love WDW so much, that it will take a lot more than the current situation to keep me away!

Kerry823
06-19-2008, 02:24 PM
I think that there was a pertinent choice left out of this poll. There was no choice about canceling plans. I think that if this choice was included, the poll may have produced different results. We have decided not to go next April given the state of the economy and the increase in prices for everything from gas to groceries in every day life. We will vacation closer to home next year.

Jimenyfan
06-19-2008, 03:36 PM
We didn't have any plans to go to DW in the summer but my husband won a travel voucher and we were able to book 5 nights at the Cabins with AAA discount and the voucher covered the entire amount.

Cookie123
06-20-2008, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=ToraTory;1656052] For me my annual trips to WDW are part of my soul, my refruge from the "real world". If I didn't have a count down in progress until my next Disney fix I would not be able to work as hard as I do. Does this mean I'm obessive compulsive when it comes to Disney, YES, but there are much much worse things I could be addicted.

Tory - this message actually brought a small tear to my eyes. Yes - Disney World is truly a part of my soul, too. Just knowing that I have a trip in the works, even months ahead, gets me through the not so nice things of life.

CU Tiger
06-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Two of the answers actually fit us. We always take advantage of special times and offerings and we are expected to spend about the same or just a few bucks more. You cannot just look how much a tank of gas costs you. You have to see how much MORE it costs you this year versus years past. We are fortunate and can get to WD in a tank and a half. The difference in the price of gas for a tank and a half is not a drastic increase for someone like us who is not coming from very far away. :mickey:

Cinderelley
06-20-2008, 03:04 PM
DH is a teacher, and I am a nurse, so our jobs are pretty insulated from changes. Things are a bit more expensive, but my oldest DS is going into the navy on Sept. 4, so part of our expenses are disappearing. Our second oldest DS just turned 18,too. It remains to be seen what he'll do. If he moves out also, I'll have a lot more spending money.

Auntie
06-21-2008, 10:35 PM
I think those that made plans for a Disney trip prior to the increase in the gas prices..and the trickle down effects that it has on our economy, probably would be apt to keep their reservations...particulary if airfare was involved. If it was purchased a few months ago, prior to the ever increasing fares and charges for baggage. That being said, I fear we are only beginning to see the effects of the price of gas on our economy. It is starting to creep into our everyday lives. It isn't so much the price of the airfare..or even the price of the gas if you're driving. More it is the hit we are taking in our daily lives ....at the grocery store(I swear you'd think cereal is like buying real estate these days!) I look at the bill and then look at what I purchased, and sometimes there isn't even enough there to make a meal. Everything has increased(check out the detergent prices!)..the toll increases on our roads and to mass transit(if it's available to you). Everyone is feeling it. The cumultive effect of the increase in fuel prices is effecting almost everything. The question is will it get to the point where there is eventually going to be less money for discretionary spending. I think a good many people are on edge. I know that we are taking a more wait and see attitude right now. Hard to justify an expensive vacation when you're not so sure what's waiting around the corner. I think it's the apprehension that I know we feel..not the necessarily the cost of a trip, that we're concerned with. Making us a bit more frugal than we might ordinarily be.

#1disneyfan
06-22-2008, 10:45 AM
I chose not changing anything and taking advantage of discounts. We booked our land/sea vacation over a year and a half ago so the discounts were pretty good. Also gas was not really even an issue then! Now that it is getting closer and life has changed (i.e. job issues, etc), we are still going forward with our plans. The only thing that really changed is that I was not able to pay the vacation off in cash as I had hoped to do. However, I do have all our food and incidental $$ saved!

And honestly, with the way things are now, I look forward to getting away from reality for as long as I can!

bigbabyblues
06-22-2008, 11:18 AM
We're still going, we're going for 10 nights (changed just yesterday from 9 nights). We're staying at ASMu, but we usually stay at the values because we like them and the work for us. We're doing the dining plan, it does save us some money (our kids are both still kids in Disney's eyes).

We did buy AP's for the 4 of us, but we're planning another trip in August of next year, so that will save $ in the long run for tickets alone. Not a huge savings, but we would have bought 10-day hoppers both trips.

We're driving, and I'm not looking forward to the gas, but it's cheaper than flying for us.

NJ Camper
06-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Not sure which answer to pick we dropped our other trips usually small long weekend trips over the summer and added time to our disney we usually go for 10 days this Oct we upped it to a 15 day we already have AP's from Nov 07 so we don't need tickets and 5 more days in FW isn't much different in price and fuel will cost us the same there and back so why not take advantage of the time i saved not going away over the summer so i guess if i picked one i guess spend the same sounds closest but i'm spending more not same

Marilyn Michetti
06-22-2008, 01:41 PM
We're not changing anything this year. We don't spend much at home, and only have a mortgage and car payment. Kids are grown. We save for this week all year, and even with rising costs at the pump and in the grocery store, we'll cut corners at home and still go to Disney.:mickey:

lightyearfan
06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
well for me and dw, we do alot of pre planning and saving just for our Disney trips, we just got back a few days ago, and we already booked our December long weekend trip. i think that if you save ahead of time it can be worked out, now i also know that not everybody can do this, but if you can, and you love going to WDW as much as me and dw than it can be done. when booking your trip try to have as much as you can booked into your package ex:dining plan, park hoppers, etc.. as this really helps. (IMHO)

Victor

RAIDER
06-23-2008, 09:06 AM
As we booked so early we wont be changing our plans ..however next year might be a different ball game :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
06-23-2008, 10:59 AM
I go on vacation to have fun, not worry about money. I will not scrimp on what I am doing or skip something because of money. I can curb my spending the other 51 weeks out of the year to cover the difference. However, if there is a deal to be had, I am not opposed of taking advantage of it.