PDA

View Full Version : Vacation to Disney

nemo'smom
06-12-2008, 09:11 AM
We are leaving on the 22nd of this month and heading home on the 28th. We are not going to be staying on site because I couldn't get Fla res and we are trying to save money. So we will be going to Epcot, AK, and DHS, no Mk since we just went in Dec. My question we are going to try to try to eat only dinner at the parks when we go. So What place in each park has the best food that isn't overly expensive. Remember we are trying to be cheap.

DDuck66
06-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Cheap and Disney do not usually go together, but you can get less expensive. Most of the CS Restaurants have combo meals for about $7 dollars. You might think of sharing large drinks at the CS meals. You might want to carry a few snacks into the park as that is where the money can really add up. Also, when we are making short trips we will freeze a water bottle and carry it with us. It will allow you cold water for a good part of the day without having to spend $2 per bottle.

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
06-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Most of the CS meals in the park are very similar in $$$ for each meal. Probably only a dollar or two so just pick what you like. The drinks are usually what kill you pocket in the summer months. The frozen water bottle is a good trick and we also pack kool-aide, gatorade single powder packs. It is hot and humid and you have to drink a ton to stay hydrated. At 2-3 bucks per drink with a family it adds up quickly!

bruin1344
06-12-2008, 01:08 PM
there isnt cheap TS but plenty of CS that arent bad prices

SpecJoe Magic
06-12-2008, 03:12 PM
You'll definitely want to avoid table service meals. There are plenty of counter service places to choose from, and the prices are about the same at all of them. The best tip that I can give you is to ask for cups of ice water at meals instead of drinking soft drinks. That will save you about $2.50 per person at each meal. If you or others with you insist on drinking soft drinks, then two people could share a large soda during meals. Avoid buying bottle water when you are thirsty. Either take water bottles to the parks and refill them at water fountains or ask for cups of ice water at places that serve drinks. Taking snacks into the parks is a good idea as well.

andreallybadeggs
06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
We've done Disney on a "budget" (oxymoron??) more than once and I don't think you necessarily have to rule out table service. In fact, TS is our preference when we stay off property because we like to take a break during the day especially since we are usually at WDW during the hot and crowded months of the year. If our accommodations are too far away to make an afternoon swim/nap an option we'll go to one of the Disney resorts or choose one of the full service restaurants as a place to cool off and unwind. Here is the strategy that has served us pretty well several times.
1) Choose a non-EMH park for each day
2) Eat breakfast before coming to parks
3) Eat table service at one of the latest lunch menu times (cheaper than dinner). Portions are usually pretty generous so we often share an appetizer/entree and or entree/dessert to save $. We actually tried this after several Intercotees assured us it would be OK and have only been frowned at for it once. (That was by one of the servers at the 50's Diner which makes me sad because it used to be one of our favorites places to eat.)
4) Snack in the evening with our own snacks or something great like a turkey leg. If we're really hungry and the wallet allows, we'll share a combo meal. Some of the CS places have such good condiment bars that you can have a burger, fries, water (or share a large drink) and a "side salad" for 2.
5) If sticking with water at EPCOT you can always get a free soda to satisfy your sweet tooth at Ice Station Cool (or whatever the current name for that place is) Just don't gulp down too many Beverlys. ;)

theyoungs07
06-12-2008, 04:28 PM
One tip for filling up water bottles...in my experience, albeit limited, the outdoor water fountains were always too warm for my prefs. Keep your eyes peeled for indoor water fountains inside many attractions/buildings, they are consistently colder than the outdoor ones.