PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Gallery

Puppy Mom
06-12-2008, 01:24 AM
I just read this over on info central, but last year my DBF and I could not find it. Is this really still open ?

"Guitar Gallery by George's Music
Here you'll find signature model guitars from the world's best music artisans. Also, vintage guitars, accessories, books, guitar-themed clothing, and learner packages."

Sunshine1010
06-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Would like to know this too.

My husband is a Luthier.

Piglet822
06-12-2008, 08:25 AM
If you're referring to the small guitar store across from the Virgin Megastore, no it is not open and hasn't been in several years.
There's some kind of an "art" gallery there now - for lack of a better description.

Puppy Mom
06-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Thank you. We thought it had been closed for several years, but got out hopes up when we saw it listed on Intercot's info central.

Someone might want to tell the poers that be that an update on that is needed.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-13-2008, 02:21 AM
My DH was extremely disappointed when they left a couple of years ago. He works for Gibson and for awhile it was in his territory so he'd get to go to DTD for business. He always had to go in and see what they had when we'd go to WDW. I think it was a bad location. It's farther back than everything else in the building. You almost didn't even notice it.

Sunshine1010
06-13-2008, 10:48 AM
This may be a different company...but I just looked them up on the internet and they state that they have a location in Orlando.

henry.james.s
06-13-2008, 04:33 PM
For someone who knows guitars and the market their prices were way too high. I know things cost more at Disney but for your avereage musician you have to watch prices.
You could abosolutley save hundreds on the same instrument off property.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-13-2008, 07:45 PM
For someone who knows guitars and the market their prices were way too high. I know things cost more at Disney but for your avereage musician you have to watch prices.
You could abosolutley save hundreds on the same instrument off property.

If I remember right most of there pieces were custom shop and high end. Not your standard guitars that you find at say Guitar Center. Custom piece are pricey any which way.

Sunshine1010
06-13-2008, 10:44 PM
My husband is a Luthier (someone who handcrafts guitars), and his guitars are basically $2600 and up. He just sent one to a customer that cost $5,000.

The kind of wood, details, and many other factors will determine the cost of the guitar. If they are made in 'assembly form'....then the cost will go down because there is nothing 'unique' about them.

Make sense?

I'd love to go see Guitar Gallery though. Sounds like an interesting place.

Anyone who is interested in handmade guitars can also take a trip to Healdsburg, California where LMI hosts a huge Luthier convention, held every 2 years, and they all bring their guitars to show off and sell. It's awesome.

henry.james.s
06-13-2008, 11:03 PM
If I remember right most of there pieces were custom shop and high end. Not your standard guitars that you find at say Guitar Center. Custom piece are pricey any which way.
What they had behind the counter, 9 to 10 pieces on average, were custom shop stuff..they'd be the same $$ anywhere. The pieces on the main display walls were standard production line pieces and mostly mfg list.
Sunshine..ask your hubby if he knows of David McNaught in North Carolina. He made me a incredible, totaly hand made electric last year..it was right @ 5K and worth every penny.
This is it.....
http://www.mcnaughtguitars.com/index670.htm

Sunshine1010
06-14-2008, 07:43 PM
henry.james,

No, my husband hasn't heard of him. But he was admiring his work.

My husband stated that David's McNaught's guitar he built for you seems similar to Paul Reed Smith's model (are you familiar?). He said the quilted maple looked awesome.

You must be a true enthusiast of guitars, and also the art form of building a guitar.

If you'd like to see my husband's website, send me a private message and I'll send it to you.

I'm sure he'd also love to 'talk shop' with you via email or phone.

DisneyDog
06-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes, George's did close. We noticed that when we were down there last month. We were surprised they stayed in business as long as they did. George owns music stores up here in the Philly suburbs. My DH is a musician (drummer) and knows George. The other stores are called George's Music. They have a web site for their stores...looks like they have other stores in Florida and in the Philly suburbs. I guess George must be a "snow bird" now. Ha ha.

Just got a good look at the web site...looks like they moved their "Guitar Gallery" to International Drive in Orlando. Probably makes better business sense.