PDA

View Full Version : Why does chicken stick to teeth?

tmosier
06-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Don't laugh, this is a serious question! Does anyone know why chicken sticks to some people's teeth and not to others? I cannot find the answer anywhere online! In my family of four, two suffer from this annoyance and it is insane at the dinner table when chicken is on the menu. Please help!

crazeedizneefinatic
06-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Weird........Never heard of that or knew anyone with that problem. It will be interesting to see what the outcome of this is.

Jeri Lynn
06-12-2008, 06:13 AM
I wish I could help you, chicken does not stick to my teeth, but if I eat a bologne sandwhich on white bread it sticks to my teeth....

It does not stick to my teeth if I have any other sort of sandwhich on white bread, so I blame it on the bologne!:blush:

Melanie
06-12-2008, 07:00 AM
It does not stick to my teeth if I have any other sort of sandwhich on white bread, so I blame it on the bologne!:blush:

I blame it on the bread! ;) Really fresh white bread does that to me every time. It's kinda annoying, so needless to say I hardly eat white bread anymore. :blush:

disneydeb
06-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I've noticed sometimes bananas do that to me, but not chicken.

tmosier
06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Clarification: The "sticking" I'm talking about is more of a sound from the chicken interacting with one's teeth rather than an actual needing-to-scrape-chicken-off-your-teeth thing.

My husband, oldest daughter, and sister have this problem which leaves my BIL, youngest daughter, and me shaking our heads with a combination of empathy, irritation, wonder, and pity!

Anyone going to listen at the dinner table tonight for a funny sound?

BrerGnat
06-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Without really knowing for sure, I'd blame it on the teeth.

Chicken is protein and fat. Proteins are sticky, especially in chicken. If teeth have plaque on them, which is also sticky, I think that explains it.

I would suggest, just as an experiment, have the three "affected" people brush their teeth (especially the fronts of their upper teeth) really really well just before eating the chicken. See if it still sticks as badly.

jrkcr
06-13-2008, 06:58 AM
This may be the strangest thing I've ever read on here! :D

I am hoping someone will know for sure what is causing it. The above post sounds like a good experiment, brush the teeth before eating to see if it affects the sticking. Maybe switch to drinking something acidic while eating? Like lemonade. Dental experiments...weird but fascinating! :cool:

I am a big believer in brushing and flossing-I love to floss! And I love going to my dentist!! See your dentist-maybe he/she will know what to do.

tmosier
06-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Without really knowing for sure, I'd blame it on the teeth.

Chicken is protein and fat. Proteins are sticky, especially in chicken. If teeth have plaque on them, which is also sticky, I think that explains it.

I would suggest, just as an experiment, have the three "affected" people brush their teeth (especially the fronts of their upper teeth) really really well just before eating the chicken. See if it still sticks as badly.

This makes a lot of sense... quite gross, but sensible!

tmosier
06-13-2008, 10:31 AM
This may be the strangest thing I've ever read on here! :D

I am hoping someone will know for sure what is causing it. The above post sounds like a good experiment, brush the teeth before eating to see if it affects the sticking. Maybe switch to drinking something acidic while eating? Like lemonade. Dental experiments...weird but fascinating! :cool:

Yes, this is definitely a strange question and one that is very difficult to find the answer to online. You'd think some kind of information would be out there in cyber-world, but I couldn't find it! Good thing there's intercot.com!

Thanks for your lemonade suggestion--- that'll be especially delicious after brushing teeth! Seriously, we will try it.

I've seen your posts before and absolutely love the quote you have at the end. Did it come from "Ratatouille"?

LauraleeH
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
I know what you're talking about! It sort of makes a weird noise and it has a weird texture. I have chicken almost every day and it really depends on what kind of chicken I have. Most of the time, it's fine...but when I eat the chicken my mom bakes, the chicken sticks right in my mouth.

Of course, now the next time my mom makes us baked chicken, I'm going to have to bring it up!

tmosier
06-13-2008, 01:21 PM
I have chicken almost every day and it really depends on what kind of chicken I have. Most of the time, it's fine...but when I eat the chicken my mom bakes, the chicken sticks right in my mouth.

How is the chicken prepared the times it doesn't stick to your teeth? Do you have white meat or dark meat? Do you buy it somewhere in particular?

LauraleeH
06-13-2008, 06:58 PM
How is the chicken prepared the times it doesn't stick to your teeth? Do you have white meat or dark meat? Do you buy it somewhere in particular?
I always eat white meat, and when it doesn't stick, it's usually from a restaurant. Like, grilled chicken or fried chicken or whatever. It only seems to stick with baked chicken, when it's homemade. And we buy Perdue (Yummy!) if that helps.

jrkcr
06-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Yes, it is from Ratatouille-I love that movie! The idea that anyone can do whatever they have a passion for, regardless of who they are and where they come from....it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :) And Anton Ego...I love the scene where he drops his fork after the flashback!!
Plus, my middle name is Colette...and we share a few character traits. :blush:

So anyway......hows the chicken? I was so fascinated by this, I looked on the internet, but found nothing. :shrug:

tmosier
06-14-2008, 06:36 PM
We will try both ideas (brushing before dinner and having an acid along with dinner) the next time we have chicken, but not on the same night. Yuk! Maybe my husband will try one idea and my daughter the other. I will let you know how it turns out.

LauraleeH
06-17-2008, 09:26 PM
We had baked chicken tonight! It wasn't that bad, actually...until I decided to have some soda! The chicken really started to "stick" then. My advice would be to brush your teeth about 30 minutes before dinner and see how that works.

AdventurelandTikiGirl
06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
I have nothing substantial to add here, other than having experienced the occasional "sticking" (and not thinking anything of it until now :laughing: ), but this is one of the most amusing threads I've ever seen on here. I am :rotfl:

tmosier
06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Tonight we had chicken breast in a lovely tomato cilantro sauce, and this is how my very scientific chicken experiment went down.

DD brushed her teeth just before dinner and reported that the "sticking" factor was minimal. DH had just gotten home from work and was in no mood to brush his teeth before dinner; so he opted for having an acid with dinner (aside from the tomato sauce), namely orange juice. Unbelievably, his "sticking" was also at a minimum which is really a big deal because of how noisy he usually is!

The official results---- brushing teeth before dinner may or may not have helped DD, but DH drinking orange juice with dinner seemed to be the big winner tonight.

Next time we have chicken, DD wants to try drinking lemonade with the meal. Don't know what DH wants to try as he didn't participate much in the conversation.

Has anyone else tried any of the suggestions made in this thread?

jrkcr
06-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I am excited to hear my suggestion about drinking something acidic MAY be working!
Keep eating chicken, and keep us posted!! :D